Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Which unit/ability could work from campaign to multiplayer?

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By meteora

There's a ton of stuff in the Terran campaign that isn't present in the competitive multiplayer scene for good reasons and balances (and possibly to save up for future expansions). But what do you think could, or want to implement into multiplayer from the campaign, that is an ability or a unit, at some point in the game?

I personally am fond of the idea of orbital drop pods (the research upgrade where it drops units to the rally point from barracks), because Terrans don't really have a building or unit that can call more units to the front. With Zerg, they have creep highways and fast movers like Zerglings or Mutalisks to defend their expansions or to put pressure. Hell they even have a Nydus Worm they could try sneaking in to the front if they really wanted to. The Protoss can build a hidden proxy pylon right at the enemy's footsteps and maintain map control, or do some serious harassment. With Terrans at almost every point you need to build everything at base and rally them to somewhere else to attack, unless you build a proxy barracks or something, but that's not nearly as efficient. I think it could work well if the Terran was required to have some sort of building just like a proxy pylon to call down drop pods from something like a upgraded barracks, just like how Protoss do with their Gateways turning into Warpgates. There's always other ways to implement this to make it more unique, but that's the basic idea. 

Not sure what kind of unit I'd like to see included. I suppose if I wanted to choose a safe answer, I would choose Goliaths. They've always been my favourite unit from SC1 and they're more or less an all-around unit with some superb AA. Maybe Terrans could finally make a decent mech force consisting of my classic Marine + Siege Tank + Goliath combo. Too bad their skin sucks. I know Vikings are the replacement for Goliaths, but they're mainly used for AA than for ground purposes.

Entus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Entus

Goliath and Vulture being the obvious answers since they worked great in SC:BW, better than Hellion/Thor imo.

Arkanti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Arkanti

Eh nothing should be added unless the other factions get something as well, and as there wasn't much special in the way of Z or P in the campaign it's hard to say specifically.

Goliaths in anything near their original form would make Vikings functionality reduced to being pure air,  with Goliath's being able to stay on the ground to do damage to both ground and air while also dealing extra damage to armoured air. Vikings would still be used against collossus I guess though. I wouldn't want to see them added because of how similar the two units are in looks and ability.
    Drop pods is an interesting idea, maybe in the place of a reactor or tech lab so only tier 1 units could be produced so it introduces different strategies rather than simply making T more powerful overall.

I'd like to see Scourge make a comeback for Zerg in Heart of The Swarm, seeing as they still exist in the world unlike dragoons and such. Maybe have their sight radius reduced to near nothing so they need to fight accompanied with other units and cannot be exploited heavily as cheep scouts.

Overall I'm more interested in new ideas coming through than old ones coming back to replace the new ones we already have.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By thatfrood

I really liked goliaths in sc1, but the goliaths in sc2 just look really goofy. Suddenly there is a fat bald man in my goliath... what?

oldmouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By oldmouse

Since Reapers have been getting nerved up the butt lately, I think they should be replaced with Firebats.

Would probably take a lot of balancing... but, eh.

tophar01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tophar01

I think the multi players is fine the way it is. Terran doesn't really need a "warp in" feature. I mean thats like me saying overlords should be able to heal since medivacs heal, you can't give everything to all races. Terran is the only race that can build their buildings anywhere with out any kind of prep, (creep or pylons) plus their buildings fly. I mean c'mon. 

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By wunder_

It's really tough -- because Terran in SC2 compared to BW might seem really different, but they're really just a mix of the old units. Adding in the old units will feel kind of weird because there's already a unit that 'kinda' fits that role. I'd sort of like to see maybe a Valkyrie type unit though, even though our AtA is really strong already, a splash AtA would be awesome. I wouldn't mind Science Vessel instead of Raven, especially the campaign one that could repair Mech! Ghost with lockdown would be cool too.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By shirogane

Predators might work, seeing as terrans don't have a melee unit, and the only thing for them to take down mass infantry type units effectively is really siege tanks. 

For Zerg, Lurkers were awesome, and they're totally in the game, just not in multiplayer apparantly. 

Bringing scouts back for protoss would be nice, but eh, i guess the void ray and phoenix are so much better. Still, i liked Scouts.
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By raiz265

Siege Breakers!!! 

dont think any of those really fit into the mp really, they'd just be redundant in some way

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShockD

Banshee Cloak! The most important.

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Thule
    @antikorper said:
    " Banshee Cloak! The most important. "
    I hope this is a joke.
    ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShockD
    @Thule said:
    " @antikorper said:
    I hope this is a joke. "
    Care to elaborate?
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Marz

I sort of got used to using medics religiously,  threw off my multiplayer strats quite a bit when i first jumped in ><

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Thule
    @antikorper said:
    " @Thule said:
    " @antikorper said:
    I hope this is a joke. "
    Care to elaborate? "
    Banshees are in multiplayer, Banshee cloak is in multiplayer.
    ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShockD
    @Thule said:
    " @antikorper said:
    " @Thule said:
    " @antikorper said:
    I hope this is a joke. "
    Care to elaborate? "
    Banshees are in multiplayer, Banshee cloak is in multiplayer. "
    I'll take this as a joke.
    Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Thule
    @antikorper said:
    I'll take this as a joke. "
    It's not. You reply to a thread about which units or abilities people would like to see added into the multiplayer with Banshees and Banshee cloak, both of which are already in there. Were you making some sort of statement with that? Because whatever you meant with it, it went right over my head. Could you ecplain?
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#17  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Thule: Maybe he's referring to the cloak duration increase upgrade you can purchase in the campaign?  Then again maybe I'm giving him too much credit 3:P~

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.