Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Who is the best Zerg in the world?

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
    lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

Some options: 

Nestea
    Idra
    Sen
    Mondragon
    July Zerg
    Dimaga
    Morrow
    Sheth
    Ret
    Catz
    Zenio
    Fruitdealer
    TheWind

This is a tough one. Personally, I think Idra is the best in NA. I think Mondragon, Sen, and Morrow are the best outside of NA and Korea. In Korea, I would definitely say Nestea. 

As for best in the world, I think I have to go with Sen overall followed closely by Nestea followed closely by Idra. 

I'm sure everyone will bitch about me saying Idra is in top 3, but fuck you. Even if you don't like him, he is phenomenal. He absolutely outplayed MC in the first game of dreamhack and only lost because he made a stupid ass mistake. His ZvZ win % is the highest in the world I believe as well. 

Thoughts?
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By raiz265

Nestea in korea and thus probably best in the world...

Losira is also considered very strong among koreans afaik

outside of korea probably Sen, IdrA, Dimaga and MorroW... don't think mondragon is up there yet, but he will be for sure if he's motivated enough to put more time into the game

it's a relatively easy list to make since there aren't many top level zergs anyway, lol
    lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lilburtonboy7489
    @raiz265: lol, true. There's very few top level zerg. 

Did you see Mondragon in the TSL3 last weekend? I didn't think much of Mondragon either in SC2 until seeing him last weekend. Phenomenal play. Looked better than just about any zerg I have seen. 
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By raiz265
    @lilburtonboy7489: i did see that and yes, his mechanics were fucking amazing, he was everywhere... but his decision making in sc2 still feels weird at times. 

if he just gets some more experience with sc2 he's gonna kick ass
    lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lilburtonboy7489
    @raiz265: agreed. He seemed to over-commit  too many times and made few other questionable choices. But damn, he has a LOT of potential. I was really impressed and it's too bad he didn't win. 

I loved his insane aggression. Hopefully more zerg players will do the same. I would like to see someone like Idra try a similar strategy.
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cataphract1014

I've been really impressed with Sheth.

He is the anti-Idra.  Nicest guy in the world.  Makes it easy to route for him.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By csl316

I've become quite a Losira fan these past few months.  And I like watching July due to his relentless aggression.  Idra becomes a beast as the game goes on, but people are right about his whole mental block problem.

But best?  Hmm... I guess Nestea has had some kick ass games.  I dunno.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By wunder_

Sheth's ZvP is monstrous and Idra's ZvT and ZvZ is also really nice.

lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lilburtonboy7489
    @Cataphract1014:  Yea, he's awesome. Number 1 on NA ladder last time I checked. 

@csl316: I haven't checked out Losira, but I will. If you like aggressive zerg, then my god, you have to watch Mondragon. 

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By nintendoeats

Zergling number 700457 won the Zerg olympics last year, so I guess I would have to go with him.

positrark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By positrark

ZvZ probably Nestea, ZvP or ZvT probably July

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ProfessorEss

No Caption Provided
    Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Toxin066
    @ProfessorEss said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    "
    Beat me to it :)
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By csl316
    @lilburtonboy7489: Yep, I caught that game.  Good stuff, though I haven't seen much of him before that, tbh.
    SelkciPlum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SelkciPlum
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NickL

1. Losira
    2. Dimaga
    3. Nestea
    4. Idra
    5. July
    6. Sen
    7. Ret
    8. Fruitdealer
    9. Sheth
    10. Morrow
    11. TheWind
    12. Catz
    13. Zenio 

Things to note:
    I included Losira because i think it would be a huge mistake not to, but other then that I only used the zergs you listed.
    I have not really seen many Mondragoon games, definitely not enough to feel comfortable ranking him in this list.
    While TheWind, Catz, and Zenio are 11, 12, and 13 respectively, I would not include any of them in the top 25 (maybe not even top 50 =/) of the world (again i only used what you listed + Losira)
    TheWind definitely shows top 10 in the world potential, but sadly is a coach and doesn't practice a lot because of that, which makes me really sad =(

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NickL
    @CaLe said:

"I feel comfortable saying MC is the best Protoss but can't name a best Zerg or Terran. "

If only MVP could figure out his vs Protoss he would definitely be best terran.

@Positrark said:

" ZvZ probably Nestea, ZvP or ZvT probably July "

You sure Nestea ZvZ? I'm pretty sure Idra has a 90% win rate in ZvZ...
    LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LiquidS

When it comes to watching streams I like Steven Bonnell II (ROOTDestiny). He certainly isnt the best in the world but I like how he has a different personality.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By WickedCestus

From what I've seen (which includes zero GSL games), I really like Idra and Spanishiwa.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Surkov

i would say Idra in a ZvT or ZvZ. For ZvP, I can't think of someone. 

ZvP is kinda messed up right now IMO. 
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By frankxiv

i really want to see more of Min from SlayerS

Losira and July are my current favorites

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By DoctorWelch

Nestea easy

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By raviolisumo

Destiny is my favorite.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ben_H

CatZ.  He may not be the best technically, but he has tons of fun playing, which is the most important thing.  I steal his builds because they're awesome and insanely creative and I've learned a ton on how to play zerg from his stream.  You can't be mad when you lose to his cheeses because they are simply too hilarious and clever.  My personal favourite is the proxy hatch to block a Protoss from walling off then running in with lings and killing him.

Here's me doing it on my Random account.  It's a build he used to do on Steppes of War but recently found it works really well close positions Metalopolis, Slag Pits, and Shattered Temple, all spawns that are incredibly hard for Zerg to play macro games in anyway.  I've only lost once doing it because I went proxy hatch to proxy hatch instead of cancelling and making my expo.  The way to beat this build is to make 2-3 cannons, but then you can cancel the hatch and expand, which made the Protoss waste tons of money getting a forge and cannons while you lost about 80 minerals from the cancel so it is best to place your cannons such that you can cancel if the Zerg cancels.  I played pretty bad this game because I was too busy laughing.  Even when it fails I chuckle because of the ridiculousness.  So far I'm 2 for 2 on getting BMed at the end of the game.

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/165136-1v1-protoss-zerg-metalopolis   

For Korean Zergs, I've been a Losira fan ever since he came back into the tournament.  He always looks so happy.

SelkciPlum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SelkciPlum
    @NickL said: 
    @Positrark said: 

" ZvZ probably Nestea, ZvP or ZvT probably July "

You sure Nestea ZvZ? I'm pretty sure Idra has a 90% win rate in ZvZ...
    "
    Nestea had a 100% win rate in ZvZ (in televised matches) until he played Dimaga.
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NickL
    @Ben_H said:
    " CatZ.  He may not be the best technically, but he has tons of fun playing, which is the most important thing.  I steal his builds because they're awesome and insanely creative and I've learned a ton on how to play zerg from his stream.  You can't be mad when you lose to his cheeses because they are simply too hilarious and clever.  My personal favourite is the proxy hatch to block a Protoss from walling off then running in with lings and killing him.

Here's me doing it on my Random account.  It's a build he used to do on Steppes of War but recently found it works really well close positions Metalopolis, Slag Pits, and Shattered Temple, all spawns that are incredibly hard for Zerg to play macro games in anyway.  I've only lost once doing it because I went proxy hatch to proxy hatch instead of cancelling and making my expo.  The way to beat this build is to make 2-3 cannons, but then you can cancel the hatch and expand, which made the Protoss waste tons of money getting a forge and cannons while you lost about 80 minerals from the cancel so it is best to place your cannons such that you can cancel if the Zerg cancels.  I played pretty bad this game because I was too busy laughing.  Even when it fails I chuckle because of the ridiculousness.  So far I'm 2 for 2 on getting BMed at the end of the game.

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/165136-1v1-protoss-zerg-metalopolis    For Korean Zergs, I've been a Losira fan ever since he came back into the tournament.  He always looks so happy. "
    Sadly, Creativity doesn't have much to do with skill.  I think everyone here would agree hands down that CatZ is the most creative zerg.
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ben_H
    @NickL said: 
    Sadly, Creativity doesn't have much to do with skill.  I think everyone here would agree hands down that CatZ is the most creative zerg. "
    But he also is quite skilled in standard games, especially with comebacks.  His macro isn't Losira or Idra level but for how he plays, it doesn't need to be and is more than sufficient.  He throws his opponents off and does constant harassment and uses that to win his games.  Most people judge players based on how they play in a standard game.  He doesn't play a "standard" game and that's why I like him.  Sure he can be cheesy, but he also is a solid regular player who has the benefit of also being able to create crazy tactics that work.  I'll take watching a game of Catz over Idra or Nestea any day.

He's like the opposite of Cruncher.  People hate Cruncher because he plays super safe and standard.  Some people dislike Catz because he does crazy cheeses and risky stuff that doesn't always work.  He's the QXC of zergs.  Either he wins convincingly or he falls apart because of his own insanity.
    baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By baldgye

I'd personally go with NesTea... the guy is a total beast, he picked appart Jinro without any real problem, Jinro being a player IdrA lost too in 2 GSL Ro16(?) and then in the show match that annouced the NSAL

Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Obsidian

I think it has to be between Nestea and Dimaga. I hope to see more of Dimaga in future GSL's so I can say for sure which is better. July, Losira, and Idra round out my top five.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ben_H
    @baldgye said:

" I'd personally go with NesTea... the guy is a total beast, he picked appart Jinro without any real problem, Jinro being a player IdrA lost too in 2 GSL Ro16(?) and then in the show match that annouced the NSAL "

Jinro's style is the exact counter to Idra's, as he is also a passive player, so IdrA can't really gain a lead from him like most terrans who are aggressive (See IdrA vs MYMCloud in recent NASL, once IdrA got his economic basis up, all of Cloud's aggression fell apart because he was behind.  In the second game he killed himself insanely fast by attacking Idra with a force that scouting would have told him would not work).  Though Nestea is terrifying in all situations and is literally uncheesable.
    danyul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By danyul

Idra is really really talented. He currently has a 78% win rate, playing a zerg which is pretty wild (Terrans tend to be the most stable players generally). He also has a really great understanding of the game, which I appreciate.

Nestea is really great as well, just look at his records to prove that. He's really the most stable zerg around, and his ZvZ is really great (Only losing to Dimaga ever)

Dimaga is really underrated. In a recent interview with Nestea, he stated that he felt something from Dimaga that he had never felt from any Korean zerg. Thats a huge compliment to how good the guy is. He also has a 84.5% win rate on the EU ladder, which is considered harder than the NA ladder.

Losira is a really great up and coming zerg. He has great strategies and his own unique style, and he's getting tons of success. 

July is really good, even though he got stomped by MC recently in the GSL finals (which speaks more to the state of PvZ and how good MC is right now, than Julys skill). His drone timing is really amazing, and his all out aggression can be crazy to watch. He does need a bit of tuning though (like constantly dropping banelings on mech and such) but he's improving greatly and he's a top player. 

Those would be my top 5 zerg players, in no particular order. 
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ben_H

Idra said Losira is basically an even more macro focused version of him.  Losira will soon be like Nestea mk.II if he keeps improving.

danyul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By danyul
    @Ben_H said:
    " Idra said Losira is basically an even more macro focused version of him.  Losira will soon be like Nestea mk.II if he keeps improving. "
     Nestea said Losira was the kind of player who you'd show one thing, and he'd learn 10 new things. He's growing really quickly. Hopefully he makes it far in this GSL!
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ben_H
    @danyul said:
    " @Ben_H said:
    " Idra said Losira is basically an even more macro focused version of him.  Losira will soon be like Nestea mk.II if he keeps improving. "
     Nestea said Losira was the kind of player who you'd show one thing, and he'd learn 10 new things. He's growing really quickly. Hopefully he makes it far in this GSL! "
    Yeah I saw that interview.  Nestea seems to think quite highly of Losira.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.