Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

ever got a free game from steam?

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

randomly from no one steam just gifted me a free code for Spacebase DF-9.

Thought it was a little weird but hey free games.

Anyone else ever got a freebie for no reason?

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Apparently owners of Hack and Slash are being given Spacebase and vice versa as thanks/an apology from Double Fine.

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently owners of Hack and Slash are being given Spacebase and vice versa as thanks/an apology from Double Fine.

apology for what?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I got Left 4 Dead 2 a while back.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of the steam games I got for free was on this site. It can be funny when I get a certain game, then another GB user be like ''damn someone got it before me''. It's a good feeling knowing it was me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Double Fine announced that Spacebase DF-9 development was coming to an end;

http://steamcommunity.com/app/246090/discussions/0/613936673464943075/

so free games?

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderslash said:

apology for what?

Not 100% sure myself, as I own neither, but Double Fine came under a lot of flak recently for suddenly rushing Spacebase out of Early Access, skipping a lot of advertised features that were due to come with development (apparently). This seems to be a goodwill gesture from them.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

managed to get serious sam 3 when trading in 7 coal at the steam holiday sale.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Most of the steam games I got for free was on this site. It can be funny when I get a certain game, then another GB user be like ''damn someone got it before me''. It's a good feeling knowing it was me.

That's...a little weird.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I got the whole Valve pack for free for completing their ARG when Portal 2 was about to be released. That was pretty ok.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I got gifted 10 copies of Dead Island Epidemic... Tried to delete them or give them away to people but nobody would bite.

balrogsbain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got the Witcher, it was from a steam Christmas sale where you collected something and it gave you a random thing like a TF2 hat or a free game

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By BBAlpert

@adequatelyprepared said:

@spyder335 said:

@thunderslash said:

apology for what?

Not 100% sure myself, as I own neither, but Double Fine came under a lot of flak recently for suddenly rushing Spacebase out of Early Access, skipping a lot of advertised features that were due to come with development (apparently). This seems to be a goodwill gesture from them.

That's pretty much my understanding of the situation. Since there were still items on the "planned features" list that hadn't been implemented yet, some people criticized DF for releasing an "incomplete" or "unfinished" game. Which is weird, because as far as I know, MOST games get released without SOMETHING getting cut due to time/budget, the only difference here being the fact that DF made their list for Spacebase public.

*Edit: As to the original topic question, I don't know if I've gotten any Steam games from any companies, but I did get a key for Don't Starve from a generous duder (or lady duder) on Giant Bomb back when the game was in early beta.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spyder335 said:

@thunderslash said:

apology for what?

An apology for making all other developers look bad?

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Christoffer

I also got Spacebase for free recently for owning Hack 'n' Slash. I was looking forward to Spacebase and was going to buy it, until I heard it was pretty broken, lacking and generally unfinished. Which is sad, because I think Hack 'n' Slash isn't much more than a good idea either. Double Fine should re-think the Amnesia Fortnight method a bit, or scrap it, in my opinion. (Sorry, off-topic)

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Got Spacebase Df-9 that way too. I think I've also been given a Grotesque Tactics game before too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.