Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Reasonable Thoughts on Steam for Mac

seanvail99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By seanvail99

I’ve been thinking about the whole idea of Valve bringing Steam to Mac for a while and I think we could look back on this as a very significant event in the years to come. 

First of all, I think it’s important to get some background on my perspective because fanboys can easily spin this type of talk out of control in a hurry. I grew up playing PC games starting with a 386 machine. Shareware games like Crystal Caves, Lost Vikings, and Jazz Jackrabbit are how I started out in gaming. I had a few upgrades along the way and I was really exclusively a PC gamer until I purchased a Playstation right at the ends of it’s life. I’m definitely happy working with PCs and have no problems using them whatsoever.

This past fall I purchased laptop for Teacher’s College and decided to go with a 13” Macbook Pro because I fell in love with the form factor, relatively good performance and battery performance. I would have been happy going with a PC but could never find something I was totally happy with. At the end of the day, whether it’s a Windows or Mac OSX machine, I’m fine either way. 

So on to the topic…

I’ve been drawn back in to PC gaming and the lure of building a machine and enjoying some good old mouse and keyboard action. Better judgment has prevailed and I’ve decided that for both practical and financial reasons I just don’t need to build a desktop PC. Still, browsing through the Steam catalogue, I find it hard to resist some of the older games I really love like KOTOR, Unreal Tournament and Half-Life.

Also, Valve is incredibly smart. They know computer gaming better than any other developer/publisher out there. They know how to create games that suck people in and keep them hooked. If I had to trust any developer across any platform with a project, Valve would be in my top two picks (the other being Blizzard, who also support Mac gaming...).

Here’s where PC fanboys could get irritated. The apple market is growing, like it or not. Like crazy. All you need to do is walk around a college or university campus library and look around. You’ll see young people with macbooks, iPods and iPhones everywhere. Younger people are in to Macs and Apple’s various iterations of their products will continue to keep these people sucked in. Many of these users are more casual computer users. They love their Mac and they are scared of PCs because they’ve had bad experiences with viruses, spyware or other problems (usually caused by their own ignorance).  These people like to play games on their iPhones, there’s no reason they wouldn’t play games on their Macbooks.

I think the real clincher for this whole venture could be how apple chooses to support Steam. Joystiq’s recent interview with John Cook from Valve confirmed that they have been working with Apple on the Steam for Mac project. If Apple continues their support in the launch and support of Steam for Mac, they could help to bridge the gap between Mac users and Valve’s game offerings. Apple’s marketing and PR is a powerful machine that has a huge impact on their users.

Very curious to hear how you feel about this topic and I’d love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for checking in.

seanvail99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By seanvail99

I’ve been thinking about the whole idea of Valve bringing Steam to Mac for a while and I think we could look back on this as a very significant event in the years to come. 

First of all, I think it’s important to get some background on my perspective because fanboys can easily spin this type of talk out of control in a hurry. I grew up playing PC games starting with a 386 machine. Shareware games like Crystal Caves, Lost Vikings, and Jazz Jackrabbit are how I started out in gaming. I had a few upgrades along the way and I was really exclusively a PC gamer until I purchased a Playstation right at the ends of it’s life. I’m definitely happy working with PCs and have no problems using them whatsoever.

This past fall I purchased laptop for Teacher’s College and decided to go with a 13” Macbook Pro because I fell in love with the form factor, relatively good performance and battery performance. I would have been happy going with a PC but could never find something I was totally happy with. At the end of the day, whether it’s a Windows or Mac OSX machine, I’m fine either way. 

So on to the topic…

I’ve been drawn back in to PC gaming and the lure of building a machine and enjoying some good old mouse and keyboard action. Better judgment has prevailed and I’ve decided that for both practical and financial reasons I just don’t need to build a desktop PC. Still, browsing through the Steam catalogue, I find it hard to resist some of the older games I really love like KOTOR, Unreal Tournament and Half-Life.

Also, Valve is incredibly smart. They know computer gaming better than any other developer/publisher out there. They know how to create games that suck people in and keep them hooked. If I had to trust any developer across any platform with a project, Valve would be in my top two picks (the other being Blizzard, who also support Mac gaming...).

Here’s where PC fanboys could get irritated. The apple market is growing, like it or not. Like crazy. All you need to do is walk around a college or university campus library and look around. You’ll see young people with macbooks, iPods and iPhones everywhere. Younger people are in to Macs and Apple’s various iterations of their products will continue to keep these people sucked in. Many of these users are more casual computer users. They love their Mac and they are scared of PCs because they’ve had bad experiences with viruses, spyware or other problems (usually caused by their own ignorance).  These people like to play games on their iPhones, there’s no reason they wouldn’t play games on their Macbooks.

I think the real clincher for this whole venture could be how apple chooses to support Steam. Joystiq’s recent interview with John Cook from Valve confirmed that they have been working with Apple on the Steam for Mac project. If Apple continues their support in the launch and support of Steam for Mac, they could help to bridge the gap between Mac users and Valve’s game offerings. Apple’s marketing and PR is a powerful machine that has a huge impact on their users.

Very curious to hear how you feel about this topic and I’d love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for checking in.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Fallen189

As a rule, and an impetous youngster, when Apple products started dominating the market, I think I was against it out of principal, to "Stick it to the man", but I recently got an Ipod touch for my birthday a while back, and it's fucking ace. Very accessible, great itunes podcast support, good library management. The only issue is using it on different PC's, but that's neither here nor there.

I think the crossing of boundaries, as you put it, is becoming pretty relative nowadays. Despite the fact that macs may seem overpriced or whatever (I dont have one, so I wouldnt know, hey!), they still do their job great, for cross media editing, and other mac things. Personally, I don't see that big of a difference, because when someone says "Open up bootcamp", that doesn't sound like a big deal. Sometimes I boot to a Win98 partition to play older games easier, it just seems like the kind of thing that PC gamers, as a more intellectual, and actively willing community have gotten used to, with the sheer library of modifications and accessability. 

Regardless, I'm all for Steam on Macs. I mean, why not, right?

Osphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Osphere
    @seanvail99: Well written and thought-out post.  I'm excited to see what the advent of Valve on OS X does for Mac gaming.
    Brontes_Muse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Brontes_Muse

I hope that steam is successful on the mac.  But I'm pretty sure we're going to see an apple run Mac Ap Store in the next OS release.  

Cathadan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Cathadan
    @Brontes_Muse: You called it, almost. Tentpole #6 announced yesterday for iPhone OS 4.0 was "Game Center", a matchmaking, leaderboards, achievements-based unified gaming service for their mobile devices. It's still up in the air what this will mean for Steam and gaming on Mac in the months to come, but I don't think Valve has anything to worry about. Apple's history with Mac OS X is to keep it open to developers as Windows is, in contrast to their hands-on approach to the iPhone OS. While the iPhone is an accepted platform for games, OS X isn't so much. If they ever want it to be, they would appreciate having Valve to step in. The big hurdle to overcome now is getting Mac versions of existing games up in the store so it doesn't look like a bunch of empty shelves when their Mac version launches later this month.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.