Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Steam Questions

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By matpaget

Alright, so I could easily just look this up on Google, but I feel better about asking you guys because when I do, it yields nothing, but the best results.\

I used to be a strict PC gamer until my computer became outdated and my parents wouldn't buy a new one. I was also very young, so I could not afford one myself. So now I'm back from the dead and this whole Steam thing is completely new to me. There are a few questions I have. Now, I recently purchased the current Humble Bundle and I have made local backups of the on-site downloads. I also received a Steam key for my games.

1. How many times can you download the games you own from Steam?
    2. Can I activate the key on one computer and download the games on another (I want to activate them as soon as possible, but want to put them on the laptop I am getting in a month or so)?

And any other useful tips will help-- I already know that I will go broke during the Steam Sales.

omghisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By omghisam

You can download an infinite number of times (theoretically). The only limitation is that you can only play a game tied to your steam account on one computer at a time. You can switch between computers, but you need to sign out of steam on one to play on the other.

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By matpaget

@omghisam: Thanks, kind sir! So that means I'll be able to redeem my keys on my mother's computer and play them on mine, right?

Of course, it does! I'm just very careful when it comes to stuff I've purchased.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @MatPaget said:

@omghisam: Thanks, kind sir! So that means I'll be able to redeem my keys on my mother's computer and play them on mine, right?

Yes. Log into Steam on your mom's computer, use Steam Guard for maximum protection, and redeem the games, then when you're done with it, log out.
    Log in Steam on your computer, follow the Steam Guard instructions which allow you to tell Steam "I changed computers, this is my main one now" (you'll receive a code in the mail is all), then you're all set to download the games you redeemed. 

My point is that your GAMES are tied to your ACCOUNT, not your COMPUTER, however, when you change computers, you need to PROVE to Steam that this is you trying to log into your account from the new computer.
    BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By BionicRadd

The best thing about Steam is for games that support Steam Cloud, you could start a game on your lap top, save it, log out of steam, log in on another PC and pick up right where you left off.

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By matpaget

@AhmadMetallic: How do I use Steam Guard? I've been trying my hardest to figure it out, but I haven't been able to receive an access code for it. I literally just made this account a few hours ago too.

trebert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By trebert

@MatPaget: Steam Guard sends an email to whatever email is tied to the steam account in question with the key.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Ben_H

After you register Steam Guard to a computer once you won't need to again unless you reinstall Steam or deauthorize the computer. For example, I have it registered on both my desktop and my Mac.  If I wanted to use it on another computer I would have to enter a code sent to my email first.

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By matpaget

@Ben_H: EDIT: Figured it out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.