Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Valve has posted a video of the Steam Controller being used.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

They play Portal 2, Civ 5, CS:GO and Papers Please and it looks like you get some damn good precision from it. Hope it doesn't get to expensive because I want one.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

my 2c:

• Portal demo looked similar to someone using a standard controller proficiently
    • having to use several thumb movements to control what would have been a single instant fluid mouse move in Civ does not look pleasant at all, and this is a turn based strategy, never mind rts games
    • that CS:GO test .... hooooly shit that was painful to watch

So far all I'm seeing is an alternative to existing controllers, not to K&M.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

The controller scheme for Papers, Please seems pretty neat. Portal did appear similar to a standard controller though.

I would never use a controller as a replacement for M&K in competitive shooters anyway.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
    deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ugh, trackpads

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By gike987

Portal looked better than a controller. I have never seen anyone do 180 turns that fast on a normal controller. Civ Looked great, Papers please even better. CS:GO looked horrible; still better than a controller without auto-aim, but it won't matter much when going up against people with M&K.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I'm kind of even more skeptical now than I was when I first saw it, for some reason.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I got to have the thing in my hands. Otherwise I just don't know.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
    deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they could have bigger trackpads on that controller, maybe one giant pad on top with the buttons on the bottom, they could input cursor acceleration to make games like CS:GO playable. But without it I don't see why this controller in its current state would be better than any other.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kishinfoulux

I maintain my original stance. Looks awful. You'd think they show a bit of DOTA 2 also.

Now show me DMC, Street Fighter, and Rayman. Oh they don't want to the controller to look bad...

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That Civ V demo looked really uncomfortable.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It kind of looks like you're scrolling your finger against the surface of the pad to simulate the 1-to-1 control which doesn't seem to comfortable. I dunno, the whole thing looks like "ok cool but why?"

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

The way he just had to keep dragging his thumb over the touchpad... eww...

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Budwyzer

Guys! Moving is hard! This controller will never have its chance because brainwave controller are coming out soon, since moving is too hard.

Of course thinking is also too hard, so in lieu of having to think for ones self we will have computers that scan a persons brainwave patterns and then proceed to carry on all thought processes for that person. This way we can all just sit in our Recrappers and watch "Ow! My Balls!" all day.

Because, life is hard you guys!

Sorry, but all I'm reading here is "Ugh, we gotta move our thumbs!?!? LAAAME!". Think about how much you have to move your wrist when using a mouse, and how ergonomically unfriendly that actually is.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think it looks great. Something like this will never be more precise than a mouse, but it looks like a good middle ground. I especially how they use the left trackpad buttons as WASD instead of sliding your finger around.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bigjeffrey

I'd rather use a laptop trackpad. lol

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

It looks like a cool replacement for existing controllers, I can't see myself ever using it over a m&kb though.

It's funny that Intellivision had a controller very similar to this 30+ years ago.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#17  Edited By Forcen

The thing I am most worried about is if games that require key combos like fighting games or actions games like batman are going to play ok.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like some weird middle ground between controller and mouse/keyboard that doesn't quite do a good job of replacing either option. The Portal 2 demo looked alright, but it definitely didn't look any better than playing with a traditional controller. The rest of the demos just looked awkward and like something you would never actually want to use.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Portal looked like it might be serviceable seeing as a lot of people played that game with a regular controller anyway, and this didn't look too dissimilar. Those other demos though (especially Civ V and CS:GO), had me shaking my head the entire time in disapproval.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my 2c:

• Portal demo looked similar to someone using a standard controller proficiently
    • having to use several thumb movements to control what would have been a single instant fluid mouse move in Civ does not look pleasant at all, and this is a turn based strategy, never mind rts games

Pretty sure that is the point, a versatile controller to use on the couch.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The CS Go and Portal 2 demos gave me flashbacks to when I decided I had to play through Episode 2 again and only had my laptop with me. Fuck that.

I dont really see how its better than current gamepads. Maybe it feels different than it looks.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@tennmuerti said:

my 2c:

Didn't say it was inherently bad thing. :)

But if that's the point, then they failed to capture my personal attention. As I don't play games that are designed for k&m with a controller anyway, im not a masochist. This didn't demo much better, it's still much less comfortable then the method I already use.

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LeYcH

I'm still not quite sold.

It feels like they're trying super hard to innovate and please both sides but end up just pleasing a small group of people.

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand the comments on how this looks "awful". I think this is a great alternative for the keyboard and mouse. It looks a hell of a lot more precise than analog sticks on console controllers, with the convenience of being handheld. I don't think anyone is saying this will replace a keyboard and mouse, but it is sure alot more appealing than using a console controller for most PC games.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Scampbell

@scampbell said:
    @tennmuerti said:

my 2c:

Didn't say it was inherently bad thing. :)

But if that's the point, then they failed to capture my personal attention. As I don't play games that are designed for k&m with a controller anyway, im not a masochist. This didn't demo much better, it's still much less comfortable then the method I already use.

In multiplayer FPS I would definitely agree, but I wouldn't mind being able to play some games in a more leisurely way in the living room would kinda neat. I wouldn't be able to be as precise on a Dualshock 3, that is for sure.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got to have the thing in my hands. Otherwise I just don't know.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Aegon

looool, this is no good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.