Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Who do you add as a friend?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I thought it would be interesting to see how people handle their steam friends list, personally if it's someone I know from the community, or someone I I've had a good game with, I'll add them. My friend on the other hand, strictly has people he knows in real life, and it shows due to the number of friends we both have (I have 200, he has 18)

So i was wondering if you guys keep your friends list short and sweet, or do you expand your horizons and play with a lot of different folks?

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Canteu

My friends?

Mostly community folks though. Never people I meet in game.

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Chibithor

I don't add people (apart from people I know) but if someone adds me I accept it.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By artelinarose

I only add people I know in real life and only accept invites from people I've talked to. If I get a random steam invite with no context, I will click the ignore button because I am an antisocial little misanthrope.

SnakeLinkSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of the time I just receive invites, but its usually inside whatever little circle of friends aquiantances I already have via Twitter, Tumblr, etc.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only people that I have added is my brother and a nice friend of mines. Other than that, if random people add me, I just accept it. Though I never play a game with them.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

Mostly people here.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

I have 0 people on my steam friends list because I never play MP pc games and none of my friends play any pc games. My xbl friends list is about half real world friends and half people from message boards relating to certain games. Again, I don't do much MP, but its more for the asynchronous challenges and such

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never randomly add people I've had a good game with or anything, so mostly duders from GB and other communities.

davo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Friends. I once added a bro who I met through Team Fortress 2 purely because he made me laugh in-game. I stopped playing Team Fortress 2, and now we don't speak. I cry every time.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By crusader8463

I don't add people. If I'm playing with someone and they seem really nice/funny/good at the game and are someone I want to play with more I will add them, but I have yet to add anyone outside of someone I met almost five to six years ago and we have been best friends since. Most people don't leave a good impression with me when we play games online so I just never run across anyone that I feel the desire to add. Whenever I play games online the room is ether full of people who never say anything or do nothing but trash talk/bitch and moan. Which I want nothing to do with.

The only time I have ever added people to a friends list are when I played MMOs regularly. Because of the nature of MMOs you play with people and work together to overcome something as a team so it's possible to build a connection with someone when you are working together instead of trying to kill one another. Back when I played City of Heroes regularly I did almost nothing but PUGs for missions. Because the servers where small you often times grouped with the same people over and over and after a while it just made sense to friend the good ones and build up a collection of people you could rely on being good at the game.

Outside of MMO's, I have never felt the desire to friend someone while playing a game. The above mentioned friend I met while playing an MMO together as well.

EDIT: There was a point in time when I actually had around 15-20 people on my Steam friends list. The above mentioned friend and I started playing on a L4D/L4D 2 private server with the same handful of people around 5+ hours a night for a good few months. Because I was playing with these same people again and again I got to know them and for the sake of trying to find people to fill out slots on the server I started friending them and actually started to get to know them fairly well. A few months later we all started to move on from L4D slowly one at a time until there was never enough folks around to get a full game going and we had to rely on spots being filled by PUGs. Which of course always ended in a rage quit because we had ended up becoming so good at playing together that we just destroyed outsiders because we knew what each team member was thinking/planning out of pure repetition. About a month later I cleared the friends list back down to the one guy because once everyone left for different games we all stopped talking with one another.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.