3-Minute Fundamentals: Hit-Confirming

Posted by lordofultima (6249 posts) -

This is the first video in a series I'm calling "3-Minute Fundamentals", where I cover aspects of competitive Street Fighter play in the span of (approx.) 3 minutes time.

Hit-confirming is the act of giving your mind enough time to react to a situation. Instead of going for an unsafe combo and hoping it'll connect, ideally you would leave "mental padding" in the form of quick normal attacks that can be linked together, which will give the mind the time to process whether your attacks are connecting or being blocked. If the attacks land, you can then go into a damaging combo, and if the attacks are blocked, you aren't forced to guess with a highly punishable maneuver. 

Song is "Speed Dry Manglehead" from the Jump Britain  OST, by Ian Masterson & Thomas Beach. I have some things in the works and they should hopefully come to fruition within a week or two. I'll let you guys know what's up.  Eventhubs again. Yeah.
#1 Edited by lordofultima (6249 posts) -

This is the first video in a series I'm calling "3-Minute Fundamentals", where I cover aspects of competitive Street Fighter play in the span of (approx.) 3 minutes time.

Hit-confirming is the act of giving your mind enough time to react to a situation. Instead of going for an unsafe combo and hoping it'll connect, ideally you would leave "mental padding" in the form of quick normal attacks that can be linked together, which will give the mind the time to process whether your attacks are connecting or being blocked. If the attacks land, you can then go into a damaging combo, and if the attacks are blocked, you aren't forced to guess with a highly punishable maneuver. 

Song is "Speed Dry Manglehead" from the Jump Britain  OST, by Ian Masterson & Thomas Beach. I have some things in the works and they should hopefully come to fruition within a week or two. I'll let you guys know what's up.  Eventhubs again. Yeah.
#2 Posted by Driadon (2998 posts) -

That's a really handy tutorial. Hit confirming is easily one of my biggest faults and I get punished way too often for being careless.
Keep 'em up!

#3 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

Top quality as usual Ultima.

#4 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

Awesome tutorial! I don't know how much it helps me as a Dhalsim player, but I understand the concept now, and it was a really well produced video!

#5 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Nice video.

#6 Posted by Jeffsekai (7033 posts) -

Awesome video as always. I look forward to the rest in this series (I hope there's one on footsies)

#7 Posted by lordofultima (6249 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" Awesome video as always. I look forward to the rest in this series (I hope there's one on footsies) "
That one's gonna take a bit of work, it's sort of hard to demonstrate footsies on a dummy in training mode.
#8 Posted by EvilGreenDevil (199 posts) -

bad ass

#9 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" Awesome video as always. I look forward to the rest in this series (I hope there's one on footsies) "
That one's gonna take a bit of work, it's sort of hard to demonstrate footsies on a dummy in training mode. "
Yeah, I think you gotta straight up get a friend to be the dummy in training mode to pull that off unless you like trying to time stuff like Braid or those time puzzles in crack in time. 
#10 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

Another great video.

#11 Posted by Jeffsekai (7033 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
That one's gonna take a bit of work, it's sort of hard to demonstrate footsies on a dummy in training mode. "
I'm sure that a bunch of people on here would be willing  to help with that.
#12 Posted by lordofultima (6249 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" @lordofultima said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
I'm sure that a bunch of people on here would be willing  to help with that. "
By flying to my house to play? I record with the PC version, and PC online is ass. Also would be annoying to do tutorials outside of training mode.
#13 Posted by Jeffsekai (7033 posts) -
@lordofultima: Fine be that way :(
#14 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1110 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" @lordofultima said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
I'm sure that a bunch of people on here would be willing  to help with that. "
By flying to my house to play? I record with the PC version, and PC online is ass. Also would be annoying to do tutorials outside of training mode. "
We will do it at final round. Just lug that big ass computer down to Georgia.
#15 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
@Stang said:
" Top quality as usual Ultima. "
Agreed.
#16 Posted by Jeffsekai (7033 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy: Clearly this is the best option.
#17 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

Really good tutorial, as expected. Keep it up. I'm sure you'll get some paid work making these sorta things for DVDs or websites at some point.

#18 Posted by AniMoney (957 posts) -

Good stuff ultima. If you wanna do something that you can't do with a dummy I'm willing to help if you can record from xbox. Also I'm sure you could just film a few random matches and get bits out of those as examples for whatever you're talking about. (footsies, baiting, etc.)

#19 Posted by demontium (4709 posts) -

Thank you so much, practicing atm. 

@AniMoney said:

" Good stuff ultima. If you wanna do something that you can't do with a dummy I'm willing to help if you can record from xbox. Also I'm sure you could just film a few random matches and get bits out of those as examples for whatever you're talking about. (footsies, baiting, etc.) "
I love the new avatar.
#20 Posted by lordofultima (6249 posts) -
@AniMoney said:
" Good stuff ultima. If you wanna do something that you can't do with a dummy I'm willing to help if you can record from xbox. Also I'm sure you could just film a few random matches and get bits out of those as examples for whatever you're talking about. (footsies, baiting, etc.) "
Don't have the ability to record HD footage on 360.
#21 Posted by AniMoney (957 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @AniMoney said:
Don't have the ability to record HD footage on 360. "
HD isn't a huge deal for me anyways. Whatever though, I'm sure you'll figure something out.
#22 Posted by lordofultima (6249 posts) -
@AniMoney said:
" @lordofultima said:
" @AniMoney said:
Don't have the ability to record HD footage on 360. "
HD isn't a huge deal for me anyways. Whatever though, I'm sure you'll figure something out. "
Has to look good, that's step one in making teh veedeos!
#23 Posted by Sweep (8863 posts) -

I am so fucking subscibed to this shit! Also great work on the presentation, looks and sounds great. Awesome job Lordofultima :D

#24 Posted by j0nnyDiGITAL (69 posts) -

Very good stuff. Should help me with my other characters. Balrog by nature hit confirms when he starts a combo so not particularly useful for my main. This is good stuff! Thanks a lot!

#25 Posted by foodchaiNN (204 posts) -

Good video and I must say it does not apply to those who only know jump kick / sweep.   \\(-_-)//   WIN!

#26 Posted by SoulTaker (132 posts) -

Thanks for the tutorial.  Its very informative.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.