Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Hard Challenges - what do they want from me?

hoody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hoody

I know they are called HARD challenges, but they're mostly just needlessly long and boring. There's a point where they are just ridiculous, right?

I just got done winning 26 matches on the fourth Hard Survival in Challenge mode. Twenty-six. The only reason I didn't win more is because I was absolutely sick to death of doing Gief's Lariat. Anyway, I won twenty-six matches, and got a silver medal for it.

If there were maybe a few Survival levels that made you go through 20+ matches in order to get the gold medal, it would already be annoying enough, given how much of a grind playing against the AI can be. But I've been through all the normal ones, and now four of the hard ones, and I can't even remember how many times I've had to face almost all (if not all) members of the cast. Each time a new opponent pops up, I'm literally like, "seriously... match 19 AGAIN?" Do there really need to be this many levels that hit 20 and 25 levels? Ugh...

I don't know, it just seems like overkill to me. The heart and soul of the game is the 1-on-1 action, so it really pisses me off that there is so much tied to the single player component - way too much of which is tedious fluff. Bah.

/rant

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

Spamming Zangief's lariat move (whatever it's called) over and over can hardly be called a challenge...more like an exploit.  No wonder you think it's tedious.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By AndrewJD

I Know, Right?! The only reason I started doing time trials and survival is to unlock actions and stuff, but I have quite a few now so I've given up. Unless your going for trophies/achievements, there's not much point in lots of the additional stuff really. Except for the challenge mode of course, which is pretty useful.

hoody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hoody
    MB said:
    "Spamming Zangief's lariat move (whatever it's called) over and over can hardly be called a challenge...more like an exploit.  No wonder you think it's tedious."
    Fair enough, but even IF I were sadistic enough to subject myself to actually trying to outsmart the AI over the course of 20+ matches on 15 or so levels, I think I'd still be staring down the barrel of tedium.

But then, if we're being technical, anything you do to win against high level AI might be considered an exploit, since the mind games aspect of the game is completely absent there. So either way, the Hard Survival challenges would still seem a little too epic for their own good, don't ya think?
    Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mercator

Just an FYI you need 40 wins on all the HARD survival challenges to get gold though I hear they don't end until around 120 some matches.

I have no desire to do that, so I got 10 and put my controller down.

hoody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hoody
    Mercator said:
    "Just an FYI you need 40 wins on all the HARD survival challenges to get gold though I hear they don't end until around 120 some matches. I have no desire to do that, so I got 10 and put my controller down. "
    W-O-W

That's just banonkers. Thanks for the info though. I wonder if I'll stick that out. Sheesh...

Oh, and to MB: I rest my case ;)
    REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By REDRUN
    hoody said:
    Ugh...I don't know, it just seems like overkill to me. The heart and soul of the game is the 1-on-1 action, so it really pisses me off that there is so much tied to the single player component - way too much of which is tedious fluff. Bah./rant"
    Your right on the money on that one. They should of used the same achievement on the HD Remix which was win a ranked match with each character. That right there would help the us see less of the Ken scrub before you pass the 2000 BP limit to come across more interesting matches.

Oh, which controller do you use to play your SF fix on?
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By StaticFalconar
    hoody said:
    "Mercator said:
    "Just an FYI you need 40 wins on all the HARD survival challenges to get gold though I hear they don't end until around 120 some matches. I have no desire to do that, so I got 10 and put my controller down. "
    W-O-WThat's just banonkers. Thanks for the info though. I wonder if I'll stick that out. Sheesh...Oh, and to MB: I rest my case ;)"

you know in racing games they have endurance levels where you have to race for like 4 hr or even 24 hrs. People still get through them becuase they either love the game that much or they do the smart thing and pause the game and continue afterwards. similar thing here, except its a bunch of matches.

the only thing that is fucked up is your addiction of unlocking stuff and getting achievement points which seems to be your main reason to do this.
    hoody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hoody
    StaticFalconar said:
    "hoody said:
    "Mercator said:
    W-O-WThat's just banonkers. Thanks for the info though. I wonder if I'll stick that out. Sheesh...Oh, and to MB: I rest my case ;)"
    you know in racing games they have endurance levels where you have to race for like 4 hr or even 24 hrs. People still get through them becuase they either love the game that much or they do the smart thing and pause the game and continue afterwards. similar thing here, except its a bunch of matches. the only thing that is fucked up is your addiction of unlocking stuff and getting achievement points which seems to be your main reason to do this."
    Oh, I see. I make one comment that half pertains to unlocking things (some of which are NOT achievements), and half pertains to bad game design, and you come to the conclusion that I am... wait for it... *addicted* to unlocking stuff. Or, at least, to you that seems to be the most obvious reason for my rant. So which are you: a counselor, or a clairvoyant?

Chill out, Miss Cleo (or is it "Dr." Cleo? Whatever...) I've got a grand total of, what - 19 posts? You don't know shit about me. Maybe go bark up a different tree or something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.