Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Street Fighter IV & Stuff

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By Vanek

Well as per usual laziness has gotten the better of me and it's been three months since I last updated this blog.  I keep meaning to do it but I always think, "what's the point, does anyone actually see it?" and end up doing something else.  I should really start forcing myself if I ever intend to meet new people here or spread the word and get more people on my Xbox Live friends list (gamertag: "MGpinata" by the way).

I take that back, I'm pretty tired of Seth actually.

I like so many other people recently bought Street Fighter IV and am thoroughly enjoying it, a surprise to nobody, but considering I've never played a Street Fighter game before it surprised me.  I never really got fighting games before and also never played any of the previous Street Fighter games because of my age, but the videos and screenshots were enough to make me pick up the latest game and now I finally seem to get it.  I finally seem to enjoy fighting games.  I know I'm not really a fighting game fan, something reflected in the fact I can't beat the Arcade mode on anything above Medium, but I'm shocked at how I've lost count of how many times I've beaten the arcade mode.  I've sunk a good amount of hours into the game and have yet to grow tired of it.

I'm really enjoying the single player but sadly I've yet to play online.  I've played against a few friends, but that doesn't really count because they're just as bad as me.  When I fight my friends the fight often comes down to what's known as the Bison tactic where you select M.Bison, block the opponent into the corner, and spam a particular move until you win.  It probably doesn't make sense but there's a story behind it which is why it stuck with us.  That said, my skill level isn't the main reason I don't play online, rather that in a way I'm actually kinda scared.  I know that sounds a little sad coming from a twenty year old but there's something about Xbox Live that both scares me and puts me off.  I guess I just never saw the appeal of playing against people that you know are better than you and also that you know will likely insult you when they beat you.

Sadly as luck would have it I'm out of time so I can't really go into much depth about my Street Fighter experience.  I'll possibly put something else up in the next few days but until then I hope you enjoyed reading this and have a good day.
    Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Vanek

Well as per usual laziness has gotten the better of me and it's been three months since I last updated this blog.  I keep meaning to do it but I always think, "what's the point, does anyone actually see it?" and end up doing something else.  I should really start forcing myself if I ever intend to meet new people here or spread the word and get more people on my Xbox Live friends list (gamertag: "MGpinata" by the way).

I like so many other people recently bought Street Fighter IV and am thoroughly enjoying it, a surprise to nobody, but considering I've never played a Street Fighter game before it surprised me.  I never really got fighting games before and also never played any of the previous Street Fighter games because of my age, but the videos and screenshots were enough to make me pick up the latest game and now I finally seem to get it.  I finally seem to enjoy fighting games.  I know I'm not really a fighting game fan, something reflected in the fact I can't beat the Arcade mode on anything above Medium, but I'm shocked at how I've lost count of how many times I've beaten the arcade mode.  I've sunk a good amount of hours into the game and have yet to grow tired of it.

I'm really enjoying the single player but sadly I've yet to play online.  I've played against a few friends, but that doesn't really count because they're just as bad as me.  When I fight my friends the fight often comes down to what's known as the Bison tactic where you select M.Bison, block the opponent into the corner, and spam a particular move until you win.  It probably doesn't make sense but there's a story behind it which is why it stuck with us.  That said, my skill level isn't the main reason I don't play online, rather that in a way I'm actually kinda scared.  I know that sounds a little sad coming from a twenty year old but there's something about Xbox Live that both scares me and puts me off.  I guess I just never saw the appeal of playing against people that you know are better than you and also that you know will likely insult you when they beat you.

Sadly as luck would have it I'm out of time so I can't really go into much depth about my Street Fighter experience.  I'll possibly put something else up in the next few days but until then I hope you enjoyed reading this and have a good day.
    PremierOctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PremierOctopus

I'm in the same boat as you. Fighting games have never really appealed to me but I was really excited for street fighter 4 for some reason. Maybe it's because I have a Ps3, but people generally don't hurl abuse at me. And I suppose i've gotten used to knowing that everyone is better than me at playing games. Street fighter 4 seems to be the most extreme example of playing games to beat people, which I find stupid.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By vitor

I'm new to this too and just like you guys was unexpectidly excited at the prospect of SFIV (woke up extra early to get to the store on launch day at 9:00am). But unlike you guys, I'm just not enjoying it that much.

I'm completely new to fighting games and have to say that SF IV is the LEAST accessible game I've ever played. Nowhere in the manual does it explain what 'charge' written over two directions means nor does it demonstrate the timing you need to cancel a move with a ghost or on screen overlay as I was expecting of the tutorial mode (is that so much to ask? The ghost system worked brilliantly for Mirror's Edge). Case in point: I can't do Sagat's Fake Kick at all and all that requires is a rapid double tap of the circle (or B) button...

All the reviewers have played SFII back in the day. They come into this entry with all the terminology and past know how, I don't. Without any sort of explanation, I'm forced to look for online guides and that's a knock against the game and it's ability to draw me in.

I know that it's all down to practice, practice and more practice, but they really could have made things easier.

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vanek

Vitor:  I totally understand where you're coming from, and I agree, the way moves are explained is pretty bad.  I found myself actually looking online for help with some of the moves and just giving up on others.  The training mode could be much better but that said once you do finally figure out how to do a difficult move it's very satisfying.

PremierOctopus:  I could be, I mean we all know that the Xbox does attract young high pitch males, so the PS3 being friendlier does make sense.  As far as the online is concerned just check the leaderboard.  I remember when I got it (on launch) and checked it that day only to find people with insane amounts of battle points.  I'm still sitting at 0 battle points which is a little depressing.   

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.