Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Super/Ultra Combo Question

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By maxszy

So first of all I will come out and say that I am a major SF nub. I am playing on the 360 with just the standard controller.

Now, as for my question, I am having a really hard time with the Super and Ultra Combos. Granted I realize they take practice, practice and more practice. However I am having a really hard time linking the two joystiq moves of "down and around up to the right."

For instance, I am playing with Crimson Viper right now. (I wanted to try someone different as my first character instead of Ryu or Ken or something. Maybe that's part of my problem? Though I have all her other moves down.)

Her Super is as follows:
    Down, around and to the right + Down, around and to the right + Punch. (Is there a specific punch I need to be hitting for this? I seem to only get it when I hit all 3 together yet that should only be for the Ultra I thought.)

Her Ultra is:
    Down, around and to the right + Down, around and to the right + Punch + Punch + Punch

I don't think my issue is hitting the punch buttons at the end, rather it is linking the two actions beforehand together. As sometimes I'll just end up doing a special, or something of the like. Sometimes I'll end up jumping but I realize that is just because I push the joystiq up to far. I've only done a super a few times, and those were all in training mode where I wasn't pressured. I haven't done an Ultra yet.

Anyway, if anyone has any tips or advice and is willing to help out a SF n00b, it would be very much appreciated! :)

P.S. Apart from this problem, I have loving it!

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By PureRok

One thing to make sure: when doing the Ultra it's telling you to hit all three punch buttons at the same time, and not hitting punch 3 times in a row. Left Bumper (LB/L1) is equal to hitting all three punch buttons by default (Left Trigger is for kicks).

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

The PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH doesn't mean hit punch three times. It means hit Heavy, Medium and Light punches all at once. C.Viper's ultra's are pretty simple to use actually. She and Chun-Li are my main characters.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

He's having problems pulling off the Super as well guys.  I think this is a timing issue and the only thing that can solve it is for him to get into training mode and try these moves over and over until he gets it right.

Maxszy - for characters who have the same motions for their Super and Ultra combos, the only difference is the button presses at the end.  Supers are any punch button, and ultras are usually all three.  If you're having problems pulling off the movements, try switching to using the analog stick instead of the D-pad, or vice-versa.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By PureRok
    MB said:
    "He's having problems pulling off the Super as well guys.  I think this is a timing issue and the only thing that can solve it is for him to get into training mode and try these moves over and over until he gets it right."
    I knew, but I was just making sure that he knew about the three different punches since he stated he has managed to do a super, but not an ultra (said that he accidentally did a super instead once).
    Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Gruff182

Yea basically^^ punch x3 is L1/Left bumper, Kick x3 is L2/Left trigger.

What you need to remeber is, it's not Down, Diag, Right  ...It's Down, Diag, Forward.  All the moves on the command list are either forward or back. So it all depends which way your char is facing.

The default for all the commands is being on the left.

Something else you need to know is to do a "Super Combo" You need to have all 4 of your EX Gauges lit (blue boxes at bottom) and to do the "Ultra Combo" You have to have your Revenge Gauge atleast half-way (so it's glowing orange).

But basically, yea. Just enter it as fast as you can. Go into training mode and in the options set your EX and Ultra gauges to infinate and practice away.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By maxszy

Awesome! Thanks for all the responses everyone, and very quickly!

Looks like its the training room for me for awhile. Need to get the right touch and timing down. Practice, Practice and more practice.

Thanks again for the timely responses!

Darklyte510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Darklyte510

If you have her other moves down then you shouldn't have too many issues with the timing with a little practice. with moves like QCFx2 (that's Quarter Circle Forward twice) I suggest you just go into the training room and practice getting the motion right and then once you're more precise, try to do it faster.

At least that's how I did it when I had problems with it. Hope that helps :)

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kmdrkul

Your punch button should come right as your swinging the left stick up the second time... doing the two quarter circles really fast...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.