Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter V

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 16, 2016

The fifth numbered entry in Capcom's signature fighting game series revamps the game's mechanics yet again while using a new system for post-release content.

Here Comes a New Challenger: Kolin Joins Street Fighter V February 28th

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#1  Edited By StarvingGamer

UPDATE: They posted her move-list

Details on the newest fighter to join the SFV roster are here (http://www.capcom-unity.com/harrisony/blog/2017/02/09/the-phantasm-of-snow-and-ice-kolin-joins-street-fighter-v), and much to no one's surprise it's Kolin, née Helen, ally of Urien, resurrector of Nash, and secret agent of the Illuminati under Lord Gill. She combines a form of Russian martial arts with ice powers to rush down her opponents with a flexible variable rekka style.

A few observations:

• Her V-Skill seems to be a forward attack that has autocounter properties during its startup frames. The actual attack is probably very unsafe, making it potentially the most risky one of these sorts of V-Skills. That said, her V-Trigger is very snazzy so the temptation will be there to build the extra meter and get potentially 2 Trigger activations in a single round.
    • Her V-Reversal seems to automatically throw, which makes me curious if she has a throw whiff animation depending on range.
    • She has a backstep that has multiple followups, including a lunging stab, a slide, and an airgrab.
    • Her EX specials seem to have additional cancel properties. She cancels her EX hands special into an EX ice ball and a regular backstep. Also she seems to be able to chain cancel her slide into a normal off of an EX backstep.
    • I bet her footsies are very bad. Most of her normals look stubby.

Also announced is a second balance pass, with more details coming in March. Hopefully they will be able to get it out in time for Final Round (and fix FANG please oh my god).

No Caption Provided

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Ice to know you.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Fredchuckdave

More patches? What is this chaos? Two patches in three or four months? Worst developers in the history of mankind; real men never update their games.

Edit: Looks like a setup character; probably going to have to wait for next year's patch before she see's any real tournament life; unless she's totally broken of course. See you in 10 months Kolin! Also please have a swimsuit outfit so I can make money off of it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Her battle costume is a swimsuit...

Also I wonder how setup heavy she'll be since you can just not quickrise and avoid the meaty fireball.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Anyone still use Shazam?

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So basically they copied Kula Diamond and made this character's face look worse than it did in story mode.

SFV continues to perplex me.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wynnduffy: Everyone I've talked to seems to prefer her new face significantly, looks like a unique person and not just a generic anime doll.

Also i dunno what you're on about, she's as much a rip-off of Kula as Kula is a rip-off of Sub-Zero. They use ice and that's where the comparison stops.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WynnDuffy

@starvinggamer said:

@wynnduffy: Everyone I've talked to seems to prefer her new face significantly, looks like a unique person and not just a generic anime doll.

Also i dunno what you're on about, she's as much a rip-off of Kula as Kula is a rip-off of Sub-Zero. They use ice and that's where the comparison stops.

Still looks weird, was hoping they'd have learned their lesson after Ibuki.

Though, if the Street Fighter team was looking at feedback, we might have had netcode and lobby search fixes after 12 months on the market. It must be super hard to fix connection bars and flags not showing up, maybe in S3.

No Caption Provided

I was half-joking with my comment but the above image gives it some relevance.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Redhotchilimist
    No Caption Provided

I'm a fan of these ice effects.

It is weird how they completely changed her face. Looking closer, it's really apparent in the video when they cut between her new model and the old story mode. I don't think the new face looks bad. I'm not sure if it has a name, but it's that kind of classical/old beauty standard where the bridge of the nose doesn't slope in at all. I've seen in in a lot of old paintings, a single person IRL and on NICO ROBIN, I suppose. It's pretty and unusual. The weird part comes from how it looks nothing like her previous face.

My impression is that they used different freelancers for the models, and it would be interesting to know if the person behind this one made any of the other ones, and how much they had to base it on the story mode. I think Kolin's design is great. It's atttractive, new to the series and still feels like it fits fairly well. Her hat cinches it. Street Fighter always trades in old tropes and stereotypes, and that hat is THE Russia hat.

But some parts of the model(for me it's the front of the jacket and the skirt hem of the jacket) do look a bit more cheap to me than some characters. There's a difference inside the game between very elaborate and nice main costumes/costumes you purchase and most of the earnable story costumes(with a couple of differences). I think the way her dress moves makes it feel closer to those story mode costumes than most main costumes.

Her hair, though! It looks so much better than Ken's long blonde locks that there's no comparison. Good improvement there.

There are rumors going around that the characters this season are mostly going to be guys from the story mode, and I think that would be a mistake, really. The supporting cast of each character is there to flesh out their place in the universe. There's nothing pactical hindering us from playing as the ninja Doll or Rashid's butler, but one of the things that was originally neat about Street Fighter for me was to have all these largely unrelated characters from all over the world come together to fight. I want to see them make new characters from new places, with their own circumstances and family and friends. Not to have the whole supporting cast be playable.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

10/10, counters, double jump, backstep/rekka, setups, long normals. If walkspeed is decent to good, then she was clearly made for me to play her. Very excited now! And I've been out of the loop recently, so this is entirely a nice surprise. But seems like most of her stuff has been rumored for a while.

I also like her new face, looks a lot more eastern european now.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

She looks neat. I really wish I was more into Street Fighter V, but I never even got all of the Season 1 characters unlocked because I got tired of grinding survival mode.

projectino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks interesting I wonder if the cfn overhaul will come with her.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@projectino: I wouldn't expect that until Evo time at the earliest

Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@dudeglove said:

Kolin? What the heck sort of slavic/eastern european name is that?

Well, there are a number of potential sources for Kolin's name. "Colleen" (how it's pronounced in English) is a common Irish name also used as a general term for a girl or woman, from the Irish cailín (caile, countrywoman). If the name was originally intended to be Korin with an R (due to Japanese L/R ambiguity), then КОРИН (Korin) is a Russian surname, and the Japanese word Kōri (こおり) means "ice".

Not that I directly copied that from a wiki or anything. Her nationality is also unknown, so who knows.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: Sounds like you have absolute zero interest in this character, hopefully you'll find the next one in April to be cooler.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WynnDuffy

Re-watching the trailer and I don't like her animations one bit, they look stilted. Actually this is a complaint I've had for the entirety of SFV, I expected better animations and fluidity but the game animates worse than SFIV.

Another thing they didn't finish for release or patch yet: They added different animations for blocked attacks to like 2 characters instead of everyone, this looked really cool in the early trailers but only Ryu and I think Nash have it.

No returning characters for S2 (huge mistake) and not fixing basic online functionality after 12 months makes it hard to give Capcom any credit for anything. They could at least admit the netcode has problems and that the bars/flags are broken in lobby search. Radio silence.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Sometime by 2019 Capcom might manage to pull SFV out of the 1087 ft. deep hole they dug and threw it into it. Probably not because it's Capcom but hey the new characters are cool.

Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Re-watching the trailer and I don't like her animations one bit, they look stilted. Actually this is a complaint I've had for the entirety of SFV, I expected better animations and fluidity but the game animates worse than SFIV.

Another thing they didn't finish for release or patch yet: They added different animations for blocked attacks to like 2 characters instead of everyone, this looked really cool in the early trailers but only Ryu and I think Nash have it.

No returning characters for S2 (huge mistake) and not fixing basic online functionality after 12 months makes it hard to give Capcom any credit for anything. They could at least admit the netcode has problems and that the bars/flags are broken in lobby search. Radio silence.

Lol Wynnduffy, why you always gotta hate. I feel like Capcom could have made every fan favorite character available and you'd still just be posting SFV complaints. I think it's a mistake to go all new for season 2 too, but they also just released Akuma and have added Guile, Alex, Urien, Juri, Ibuki and Balrog. They've got every original SF2 character besides Blanka, E. Honda and Sagat. They've got long-lost dudes with vocal supporters, Alex and Urien. They've got Juri and Ibuki, two of the popular female characters, with Juri in particular being the stand-out new character from 4.

And then this animations talk! I just watched some SF4 Balrog just earlier today, and I think his animations are all pretty similar. The difference is that his model is much better and all his punches have smoke effects and sounds that make them seem terrifically hard.

Loading Video...

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I think her moveset looks really cool, the design of the character is pretty boring though but whatever. dude does a game really need that many blondes

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WynnDuffy

@redhotchilimist: I'm not trying to hate, I love Street Fighter and IV was my most played game last generation by a very wide margin. I have over 4000 hours of my life wasted there.

Season 2 not bringing back a lot of fan favourites is a huge blunder. The community had been speculating and hyping themselves up for the return of Sagat, Sakura, Q and more. This had been going on since launch last year and then Capcom bizarrely announce "Nah new chars only lol".

Makes no sense at all to go new only instead of getting some guaranteed sales from character loyalists. 4 old and 2 new isn't much to ask for. I take issue with what a bad job they did with Akuma too.

You're right to use Balrog as an example. I felt the DLC characters had better animation quality, than the launch lineup, though Akuma and Kolin are a step back. I think SFIV has better fluidity but some of that is because of the gameplay/mechanics flowing better, for me.

If Capcom acknowledged the netcode inconsistencies, broken lobby search bars/flags and one sided lag existing, I'd be a fair bit happier with where things are going. They keep making announcements of announcements instead.

Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@wynnduffy: I guess it's just the difference in our experiences and taste. I could never get into SF4, I thought the models looked kinda bad and the fighting felt kinda unimpactful, so I never really played it that much. I also haven't had many issues online besides the downtime whenever they update and the "failed to collect data" stuff and have been playing online more than ever in SFV. The characters they brought back hit home with me too, with Mika being an old favorite that's actually good now and me getting into Fat Birdie somehow. Like, I even like the new Akuma. I was never really into him before because I think he's sort of boring as an evil palette swap, and giving him a massive beard and what looks like more muscles have made him more appealing to me, and I kinda like playing him.

I'm sorry your own online issues in particular are worse. Some of that stuff just hasn't affected me. Meanwhile, I know a friend who's often getting a "the servers are full" style error message and all that shit. Your posts kinda got on my nerves because it's always something negative about SFV, but considering how much fun SF4 was for you and how unfun SFV has been, I can understand that better and respect it now.

I'm not sure if the DLC characters are universally better except Akuma and Kolin, but some of them sure are. Urien, Guile and Balrog are amazing, and captured the characters perfectly. Juri was quite good too. Meanwhile, Alex doesn't look too much like himself and stands in an odd way with one of his legs. They changed all the little details and that dude is just not cool-looking anymore. Ibuki is weird, too. And it's like that in the whole cast. Birdie looks so good! Ken looks so bad!

I admit it was cheap of me to go for Balrog. The models in Street Fighter 4 got much better for the later characters than the first batch, and Balrog is like the coolest looking guy in SFV.

@atwa said:

dude does a game really need that many blondes

It's kinda nuts how this happened. They brought back four characters from Alpha who went unused for 4 and all happen to be blonde. Then they keep Cammy and Ken, two popular main blonde characters, and add Guile, Urien and Alex, who are very popular with at least some kind of vocal segment and all happen to be blonde(well, white haired for Urien, I guess?).

Most of these are because they ignored the blondes for SFV and now brought those characters back. I have no idea what's going on with Vega though. He just bleached for his main colors.

If they're sticking with original story mode characters, I don't think there are any blondes left to use, though.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WynnDuffy

@redhotchilimist: I've actually had the online break down in 4 countries now and every time I've been on wired with a good connection. It's depressing that the one sided rollback hasn't even been mentioned. I have 2 friends I used to play with on SFIV a lot, we've tried SFV and it lags with 2 bars between us, but when we change to another fighter like Xrd or SFIV, it's a great connection. I don't get that at all.

The connection bars & flags being broken in lobby search is a more minor thing but annoying, I have to keep joining and rejoining people over and over to find a good connection. I usually play ranked but sometimes I want to play a new character and do a FT10 continuously instead of waiting for matches.

Now having said all of that...I haven't actually played since the beginning of January. Here is hoping they do great things for SFV this year. I want to like it but instead it has actually isolated me from from the 'FGC' a little, I don't go to any of the weekly/monthly events that feature SFV here anymore but I went all the time for SFIV.

I'm glad you understand I am not hating on it to be edgy, I'm just frustrated with how Capcom have treated one of their golden gooses.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

She looks cool, no pun intended. I wasn't really excited for any of the likely season 2 characters just based purely off their designs, but jokes on me for judging books by their cover because so far, they seem off to a good start. Here's to hoping Capcom can swing things back around this year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.