Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter V

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 16, 2016

The fifth numbered entry in Capcom's signature fighting game series revamps the game's mechanics yet again while using a new system for post-release content.

What's the best way to buy Season 3 characters?

reubencosmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By reubencosmo

Poll What's the best way to buy Season 3 characters? (23 votes)

Buy them with Fight Money... 4%
    Just buy the pass 52%
    Wait until a discount on the pass later 26%
    Just buy the ones I want with FM 17%

Hi all,

I've been playing SFV for about a year and I've got every add-on character (except Abigail) through FM. The game has been more of a frustrating experience than anything: My goal in playing it is to earn fight money. That's pretty much it. I have nothing except for the extra characters: seeing most of the other stages locked behind a 70,000 FM wall is fucking horrible because my next batch of FM will be spent on characters.

I can't really justify buying the season pass either. I don't have enough money and there's something really egregious to me about paying £25 ($30) for a bundle of characters just because the method of earning in-game currency is so laborious.

I just reached another 100,000 and my dilemma is this: I want Sakura. I'd also like Abigail, although I don't think I'll play him very much. I also want all the stages, but of course, this is totally secondary to the characters. There is an almost zero percent chance that I am going to spend about 65 fucking pounds of money on all of this that I could be spending on food, rent and utilities. I don't know how much time spent playing I will need to earn 1,420,000 FM, but I imagine it's a lot.

What do you think is the best value way to get the characters?

Thank you.

• 
    Scottjay01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Scottjay01

I will always say buy all the stages with FM!!! (as they dont do stage bundles)

Then when your done with that get any other content that doesn't come with the season pass with FM then wait for the season pass 3 to be on sale.

This has really worked out for me as I got the season 1 and 2 season passes on sale for real cheap and now have pretty much the most i can get out of the game to boot.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Redhotchilimist

If you wanna be frugal, I'd say just get the characters wth FM and rely on online play to show you different stages.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Belegorm

Did you consider buying SSF4, SSF4AE and USF4 as egregious as the $30? My thought on it is that before we had to pay more for essentially more characters and balance changes; now the balance changes are free and if we want more characters and stages we can buy them.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sounds to me a little like you may be playing for the wrong reasons. I mean, take this bit:

My goal in playing it is to earn fight money. That's pretty much it.

To what end? To complete your collection of characters? Do you intend on using the unlocked roster to lab matchups and improve as a player?

The only "goal" in playing SFV for any prolonged period of time that makes sense to me, is to experience the fighting and to become better as a player, to understand and master the dynamics of high-level play against other human players. Maybe this comes off as elitist or something, but I say this because I don't really think there's anything resembling a rewarding RPG-style progression system in this game.

With that in mind, if throwing yourself at matches is just this miserable thing you're doing so you can grind currency, then I don't get the point at all. If you were playing to get better and enjoy fights, you probably wouldn't notice you were grinding for currency.

reubencosmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By reubencosmo

@fnrslvr: Sorry, I should clarify: I do like playing the game, and there's that really incredible feeling you get when you play an online match and it's super tense and you learn stuff and the other person (and sometimes yourself) surprises you. And then at the end, I get 100FM and it's really disheartening because I'm not seeing my own personal progress reflected in the unlockable content, and I'd like to unlock that content because I enjoy the game. There's a real struggle, I feel, between the game in-itself (which is incredible) and the framework surrounding it, and the latter is just starting to make me angry at this point.

@belegorm: I'll definitely check out USFIV if I get the chance, thanks for the shout. I think I'd be playing that game a little more casually though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.