Sooo....fart cat.

#1 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

Summer Camp Studios announced their existence, and their first game(?) Fart Cat.

...Fart apps suck guys. Nevertheless I will download, and favorably review this ON DAY OF RELEASE because not only do I want to support ol Rich and all of his endeavors, but also because I find this whole thing to be god damn fascinating. I have never actually taken notice whenever a company announces it's existence. Even when it is inhabited with people I follow in the industry I'm still just kind of meh toward it. Listening to the bombcast, and hearing about their initial creative process had me absolutely hooked.

Definitely hoping for some hot GB (s)exclusives similar to Building the Bastion. Regardless I will definitely be keeping an eye out on the twitter and whatnot for this new studio. Or maybe I'm just crazing, and the appropriate response IS to hunt down every one of the employees of SCS down for even considering making a fucking fart app. What does the Giant Bomb community think, will you be picking up this app, and will you delete it right after?

#2 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

The game should be about cats farting forever.

#3 Posted by BeachThunder (11689 posts) -

Well, where's the Fart Cat wiki article??

#4 Posted by JJOR64 (18906 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

Someone has probably submitted the wiki page for review already.

#5 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2004 posts) -

Yeah I don't think this Fart Cat thing is happening... when they do start actually developing a game, however, I'll definitely be behind them!

But the question on my mind is -- does their domain actually work/exist? I think Gallup might have exaggerated about it, because I doubt we would have caused his server to crash if it existed -- there weren't that many of us tonight.

#6 Posted by SupernormalStep (203 posts) -

When he said fart cat, I automatically hoped it would be a 2D platformer about a cat who double-jumps by farting, and other such fart based platforming mechanics.

Until then, at least the Raccoose exists.

#7 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Can't say I am the ideal audience for farting cats.

#8 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

But does it have soul?

#9 Posted by believer258 (11629 posts) -

I hate cats and farts are only funny every now and then.

#10 Posted by adam1808 (1372 posts) -

Sounds like something the Postal guys would come up with

#11 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

Video-games are art.

#12 Posted by ZombiePie (5581 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

@BeachThunder said:

Someone has probably submitted the wiki page for review already.

All signs point to rejection. Two things I'm waiting for are 1) Was it a joke and 2) Is it a game? We don't allow Apps on the database that have no gameplay. As you may or may not be aware there are no "Fart Apps" on Giant Bomb, and there are no plans to make an exemption to start adding them to the database.

#13 Posted by 71Ranchero (2675 posts) -

If this comes out I wont be buying it but I wish them luck and hope maybe the next project they do is a tad bit more classy.

#14 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

I didn't get the impression that it was a joke. I think he's really doing it. It doesn't sound out of line from what you would find in an app store.

#15 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1733 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus: I was on the website before Rich announced it, and it worked fine. Very basic, almost Geocities like, but it worked.

We definitely crashed the site last night.

#16 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2004 posts) -

@Paul_Is_Drunk: Oh wow I'm on it now; you're right. Huh, how odd.

#17 Posted by falconpunch (177 posts) -

fart cat!?

#18 Edited by i8246i (119 posts) -

As much as these guys will "learn" from people using this app/buying stuff for this app...I'm against asinine wastes of time like this.

I hope it never clears the App Store review processes. Maybe then these people will "learn" to stop wasting their time.

#19 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -

Nope.

#20 Posted by Hunkulese (2642 posts) -
@i8246i

As much as these guys will "learn" from people using this app/buying stuff for this app...I'm against asinine wastes of time like this.

I hope it never clears the App Store review processes. Maybe then these people will "learn" to stop wasting their time.

Posting on Internet message boards is an asinine waste of time yet here you are.

They're a brand new tiny studio with nothing to work on currently and they're trying to gain an understanding on the sales and customer feedback aspect of making a game because none of them have dealt with those aspects directly. The easiest and fastest way to do is is by releasing an ios game. How exactly are they wasting their time?
#21 Posted by i8246i (119 posts) -

Because they are composed of people who have made bigger and better things than this....far bigger and better. Fart apps can be made by any booger-picking grade school kid...and I'm pretty sure there was at least one that WAS made by said booger-picker.

If they want to show that this team is worth anything they could create...I dunno, a REAL GAME? As people saw from the Molyjam, and from other game jams before, you can have someone create a game pretty quick without any real prior knowledge of game design or programming...and Summer Camp is made up of people who have *actual experience* in the game making world.

And I'm serious about the "app rejection" line. if they get rejected by the App Store for attempting to put out another fart app, they will actually learn something: that if they want to make it as an independent studio they need to put forth more effort than a fart app requires.

#22 Posted by ds8k (412 posts) -

I didn't get the impression that it's just a fart app. It sounded like they're making an actual game with gameplay mechanics. Whatever though. I like cats and I like farts - My 99 cents is ready.

#23 Posted by brownsfantb (389 posts) -

@i8246i: I think you have to look at it like this. They just spent the last, what, 4 or 5 years working on this huge game that all of a sudden isn't going to even come out. I think they just want to put something, anything, out so they can feel like they accomplished something. I highly doubt that they plan on Fart Cat being their killer app or even something they're still working on 6 months from now.

#24 Edited by Absolute_Zero (242 posts) -

Sorry for reviving this topic (not really), but the theme's by Grant Kirkhope and it sounds straight out of Banjo-Kazooie! :D Thoughts? At this point I don't care if Fart Cat exists or not...

http://www.summercampstudios.com/?p=27

#25 Posted by UnrealDP (1221 posts) -

@Absolute_Zero said:

Sorry for reviving this topic (not really), but the theme's by Grant Kirkhope and it sounds straight out of Banjo-Kazooie! :D Thoughts? At this point I don't care if Fart Cat exists or not...

http://www.summercampstudios.com/?p=27

God, if you just slapped Banjo and Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts on that I'd totally believe it. Awesome!

#26 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

@Absolute_Zero: Wow, someone played Nuts & Bolts recently. :O

#27 Edited by Absolute_Zero (242 posts) -

@UnrealDP: I know, right? I'm going to assume that this will be 99 cents (or free :O). So... insta-buy. :) I mean, songs are 99 cents already, and a few minutes of cat-based entertainment on top makes it a "steal!"

@Cincaid: Well, not recently (and I still haven't finished it >_>), but I do have remember enjoying what I've played.

Edit: Ah shit, double post. I'll just move the old post into this newer one...

#28 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Just got back from playing some fart cat. Level 3 fart cat at the moment.

Fart Cat.

#29 Posted by UnrealDP (1221 posts) -

@Absolute_Zero: Totally! There's a way to make that math work, and you sir have found it!

#30 Edited by Absolute_Zero (242 posts) -

@TheHumanDove: I heard that level 4 contains the secret burrito level. :O

@UnrealDP: Haha! And math has always been my weak point!

Edit: I think I've replied more in this topic than any other in the past month. Hmm...

#31 Posted by Banggoo (112 posts) -

Hmm.. never really thought about it much but tubas really do sound like farting the instrument.

#32 Edited by magellan (77 posts) -

So..wasn't this supposed to be developed in a week or two. It has been almost two months.

#33 Posted by Benny (1947 posts) -

@magellan: That's probably why they started with a small project, they need to ship a game (so to speak) to get a feel for things and see how long the turn-around times are on a simpler game like this before going for something bigger and more complex.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.