Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sunset Overdrive

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 28, 2014

The latest energy drink, OverCharge Delirium XT, has turned Sunset City into an energy drink-fueled mutant apocalypse and it is up to you to survive in Insomniac Games' Xbox One exclusive.

Game of the Year 2016 #6 - Sunset Overdrive

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Edited By ht101

Welcome back to the countdown of my 10 best games of the year. If you want to see any of the previous days, check them out here: #7, #8, #9 and #10. Now, onto the 6th best game of 2016.

6. Sunset Overdrive

No Caption Provided

This was a game that was a launch title on the Xbone and I loved the Ratchet games on PS2 so I was very interested in playing it. The one problem was that many people said they liked it but didn’t really feel 60 dollars was a worthwhile amount for it. It was announced earlier this year that it would be a part of Games with Gold so I knew that would be the time to play it.

I did play it but it took me a long time to finish it because I really couldn’t play it for super long amounts of time. I didn’t dislike the game but it felt like it was a better game in small chunks. That’s the main reason why it is #6 and not higher.

The biggest plus this game has is the style found in the game and the various weapons you got to use when playing. The weapons were pretty inventive and offered you many different ways to play. From the fireworks gun to the bowling ball launcher, Insomniac did another great job in making weapons that were not only fun to use but were fun to experiment with. The traversal system was also extremely well done. The idea they had of making it mandatory to grind and do other types of of moves in order to make you more powerful was really well done and helped to vary how the game played. The other good choice they made was to have an auto aim while you were grinding or jumping so it would not be a frustrating experience.

The humor in the game is very hit and miss but when it does hit it is really well done. The best part was the LARPers who have actually lost their mind and you have to pretend to be like them so that they will follow you. However, when the humor misses, it is really bad. The preppy kids was the worst part of the game and thankfully it was the first group you interacted with so it could have been a lot worse.

Thanks for reading and come back to see the first game in the Top 5.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.