What's your run-button of choice?

#1 Posted by takua108 (1478 posts) -
#2 Edited by takua108 (1478 posts) -

I started with X, Mario-style or whatever, but quickly shifted to RT after like level six. 

NEVER NOT RUNNING.

#3 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I thought you could only use X. Okay, I'm switching to RT.

#4 Posted by Azteck (7450 posts) -

Right trigger all the way.

#5 Posted by superpapergun (98 posts) -

Right Trigger until my finger starts to hurt then i switch to Left Trigger. Mainly RT though.

#6 Posted by delicious_lie (160 posts) -

x all the way!
you gotta kick it old school.

#7 Posted by tourgen (4427 posts) -

X through all the light levels and like 40% of the dark levels so far.
I tried LT for a bit and that seems fine too.

#8 Posted by Bouke (1401 posts) -
@takua108 said:
"NEVER NOT RUNNING. "

This
#9 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

X and always running!

#10 Posted by Vextroid (1354 posts) -

Right Trigger. Thus my thumb never leaves the jump button.
#11 Posted by takua108 (1478 posts) -
@Cwaff said:
" X and always running! "
So, like, you're using the joint of your thumb for those super-accurate jumps? I tried this at first, but man, a few levels in and this becomes impossible, at least for me.
#12 Edited by dankempster (2249 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero said:

" I thought you could only use X. Okay, I'm switching to RT. "

This. My aching thumb is saved!
#13 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -
@dankempster said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:

This. My aching thumb is saved! "
Your index finger will hate you for this.
#14 Posted by deadmoscow (261 posts) -

I started playing with my Mad Catz fight stick, it was amazing how much tighter the controls got.  If you have an arcade stick, try it for this game for sure.

#15 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

I'd like the right bumper more.  I feel like that one gives more precise response.  X is terrible though. 
#16 Posted by DrBeardface (242 posts) -

Grew up using X button, seems most comfortable to me now.  Is anyone else starting to get Street Fighter IV-esque calluses on their run/jumping thumb?

#17 Posted by EVO (3851 posts) -
@takua108 said:
" NEVER NOT RUNNING. "
I dunno how people do this. There are many parts which seem impossible to run through?
#18 Posted by Garfield360UK (453 posts) -

Right trigger, it just feels the most natural when using the XBox 360 pad personally but I dont hold run all of the time as i tend to misplace certain jumps if I do so.
#19 Edited by mikeeegeee (1549 posts) -
@EVO: I've found that running and going as fast as you possibly can often presents the solution to many problems. obstacles seem regularly designed to be taken at maximum speed.
#20 Posted by Bandecko (6 posts) -

I also didn't realize you could use the triggers.  Grew up holding down run and mashing jump with my thumb joint since SMB, so I just naturally fell into it.

I'm definitely going to give RT a try though.

I tried using my MadCatz Fightpad, but the button placement was awkward.  Perhaps with the trigger for run it won't be so much.

#21 Posted by Eristocrat (439 posts) -

I feel like I have more accurate control with the X for some reason but if it is a never not running level I switch to LT after 10 or so deaths.  Even then though I still hit the A button with my thumb knuckle.

#22 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

Always RT.  Although after about an hour of play I need to take a break 'cause my finger (actually, my whole body from my muscles being so tense during play) hurt.  

And, yes, @takua108 said:

"NEVER NOT RUNNING. "
#23 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -

I don't play it, but as I automatically hold x when playing sidescrollers no matter what, I can imagine that that would be my button of choice.

@Dany said:

" @dankempster said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:

This. My aching thumb is saved! "
Your index finger will hate you for this. "
xD
#24 Posted by MikkaQ (10264 posts) -

Didn't even know you could not use Rt. I'm still sticking with it, so I can run and jump easily.

#25 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

Didn't know about X to run for the first three worlds so I'm in the habit of using RT. Pretty uncomfortable but feels right.

#26 Posted by Scrawnto (2433 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero said:
#27 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

Right Trigger, my thumb takes a little longer to go numb this way.

#28 Posted by mnzy (2911 posts) -

You can use LT? You probably just saved me from being forefinger invalid!

#29 Posted by KingPossum (236 posts) -
@deadmoscow: I'm going to try my madcatz TE fightstick on this thing tonight after I finish watching Batman. Sounds awesome and I'm glad the controls seem tighter on it.
#30 Posted by Garden_Ninja (97 posts) -

I didn't even know you could use LT.

I use the Right Trigger.  I tried X for a bit, since that's how you had to play most old school platformers, but trying to use your thumb to do two things at once means one of those things is less precise, at least for me. 

I haven't had any trouble with my fingers getting worn out, but because the levels are so short (30 seconds at most, so far), it is a great game to play a few levels here and there, so I've been using it as a palette cleanser.  I'll play for 15 minutes, then play another game for a while (Oblivion, lately.  Seriously, I bought that game when I got my 360, and I am only finally close to beating it, 3 years later)

#31 Posted by gla55jAw (2685 posts) -

I've been using X, I had no idea about RT. I shall try that out.

#32 Posted by myalt22 (101 posts) -

Right Trigger, because using X makes you hold the controller in a retarded manner.

#33 Posted by WalkerD (461 posts) -

I've only used X, being fairly use to using my thumb to hit two buttons at once. It's not nearly as bad as having to crab claw some virtual console titles with the gamecube controller.

#34 Posted by Eaxis (898 posts) -

At first I used X but on harder levels it became awkward to jump, and now I run with RT,
#35 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1351 posts) -

YOU CAN USE THE TRIGGERS! Fucking shitcunts, I've been using X for 6 worlds now.

#36 Posted by MancombSeepgood (317 posts) -

Definitely RT. I was using X but then I found it awkward to hit A and hold X while letting go of A at the right time for certain, more difficult jumps. Generally, RT is just more comfortable and easier.

#37 Posted by Arjuna (886 posts) -

RT; you want your run button far away from your jump button lest you accidentally press one or the other.

#38 Posted by phuzzybunny (171 posts) -

Right trigger! Had no idea you could use x.

#39 Posted by ViciousAnchovy (720 posts) -
@takua108: Haven't played it. But, I'll say you have a fitting number of posts for Halloween. I remember one Halloween one of my Forces in Phantasy Star Online had 666 hp.
#40 Posted by thorkins (8 posts) -

I mostly just use the X button because of my mario super thumbs, but if i've committed to a level and i wont stop until its done i change between X and RT to give my thumb a rest.

#41 Posted by supermike6 (3530 posts) -

I pressed the Left Trigger button on the poll, but I actually use RT. I guess I just ruined the truthiness of this poll.  

Sorry, everyone!

#42 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1249 posts) -

I alternate to avoid my thumb from cramping like in the NES days.

#43 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5797 posts) -

X. So much easier than using the trigger buttons

#44 Posted by gunbladewarrior (14 posts) -

RT

NEVER NOT RUNNING!!!!

#45 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

X all the way and I'm close to 100%ing the game. I tried the triggers but I grip them so tight for some reason and it hurts my fingers. Also I get "rub your tummy while tapping your head" syndrome using RT and A for controls.
#46 Posted by Falcon_Davis (9 posts) -

It's more fun using X (old school like) but sometimes have to switch to RT to avoid twisting my thumb in unnatural ways when jumping alot

#47 Posted by SubwayD (472 posts) -

Oh noo. I clicked Left Trigger bymistake. 

Roscoe all the way, man!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.