Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Character Discussion Thread.

• 108 results
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Scooper

So I thought it would be cool to have a thread where everyone can talk about all the characters they're playing right now, a place to get tips on characters they might be trying to pick up, see if anyone else is playing them and just get some back and forth about matchups and things people might have found like something cool about a character and want to share it with the community.

I'll start off and say I'm picking up Fei Long and I've got past the first stage of actualy getting a feel for him and I'm pretty good at his 1 frame st.HP links and all that but I've found my left arm just fucking in agony after playing him for a while and I've never had that with any other character. I think it's got something to do with me forcing the Rekkas too much and being so tense doing them. I'm playing on a 360 pad and it feels terrible doing the Rekka motions.. It may finaly force me to get a Fightpad and see if that helps at all.

What characters is everyone else playing right now? Any problems you're running into or anything you are working on right now or anything you're proud of locking down recentaly? Share!

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By gosukiller

Well, I'm maining Ryu and Rose, but lately I've gotten some interest in playing Adon. I am at the earliest stage possible, trying to find out his easy combos, his anti-air and the recovery on his specials.

Here's a question I'll shoot to you guys: Is there some sort of trick to the Instant Overhead (neutral jump HK)? Haven't seemed to be able to get it out in my games yet, but might be because I've only tried him a handfull of times.

Also, this world aint big enough for two pad fei long players. You have to behead Inthul first, take his powers. I've heard there can be only one.

jaycee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jaycee13
    @gosukiller: 
    I thought instant overhead was neutral jump mk, then you can follow it up with a jaguar kick in midair. I found some his useful combos after about a week of playing him:
    lk x 2 > h.rising jaguar
    instant in air jaguar kick > cr.medium punch > l.rising jaguar
    s.heavy punch > h.rising jaguar (FADC > m.rising jaguar/ultra)

I'm currently playing Sakura, Vega and Dudley.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only started playing again a couple of days ago, and I'm not sure I'll keep at it, but from what I've seen Cody is very accessible. 

He has some really great normals and his specials have some awesome attributes. His links are an absolute cinch and he has some great combo opportunities afterwards. 

Really solid from what I've seen so far... 

Does anybody know what you can tag on after Ruffian FADC, towards HK? I know there are a couple of things, but haven't had much luck so far.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By AndrewJD
    @GetEveryone said:
    "Does anybody know what you can tag on after Ruffian FADC, towards HK? I know there are a couple of things, but haven't had much luck so far."  
     Think you can do EX criminal upper after that, not sure what else though. Check SRK :)
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mubress: Thanks, bud. I'll give that a shot.
    Avatar image for thelegendofluke
    TheLegendofLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By TheLegendofLuke

Like GE, I'm only just getting back on it. At the minute I'm just cycling through the characters trying to get my timing and execution back for when my internet is up (9 days :D) . I know I want to pick up a proper main, rather than just choosing everyone, but I can't decide at the minute because I always end up watching streams and feeling bad when I see stuff that I can't do with characters :( 

Oh and I finally managed to get to a point where I can consistently land Balrogs headbutt into Ultra. I'm so bad with charge characters :( 

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I like playing as Balrog.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AndrewJD

Trying to get to grips with Ibuki atm, she seems really fun to play as. I can do a lot of her basic combos and mixups plus her SJC to ultra isn't that difficult once you've practiced for a while which surprised me.

I'm having real problems when I'm in the corner though. Sort of like with Dhalsim all I can do is poke and try to force my way out or sometimes her dash special works but you can be hit out of it. If I have EX then her Double Kick (Hien) move works well but otherwise I just try to be patient. Anyone have any tips?

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ricetopher

Other than E. Honda, I feel like I've been playing Wheel of Fortune trying to find another character. Went from Dee Jay, to Guy, and now Akuma is my latest exploration. Not sure why I'm having a hard time finding more than one character from a 35 character roster to play, but since I have no real interest in any of the other charge characters (which would be more convenient as Honda is charge) I have to change me habits considerably for any non-charge character. Takes me a round or two with any non-charge character to remember that I don't need to be holding downback and (if I'm playing a fireball character) that I can actually throw projectiles.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Pessh

Play Chun, some Rog. Want to learn Fei but shit is hard.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By dbz1995
    @ricetopher:  Why not try Chun? PPP is like KKK (so slap is like legs), she has a projectile, some charge attacks, and also, you don't see her a lot online.
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ricetopher
    @dbz1995:
    Even though I could try characters like Chun  and Blanka, where some of the things I use for Honda carry over, the interest is just not there.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pessh

Might do a randoms lobby tonight, find some new characters.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Scooper

I'm getting better with Fei now. Not forcing the Rekkas so much and my arm isn't hurting after playing which is good. Really liking him, he's pretty damn solid. Also spent some time playing Seth and that's going really well for me. Starting to really enjoy the game right now. Granted I'm not playing Ranked mode and just playing friends that are good so that might have something to do with it.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pessh
    @Scooper:  He's getting mad buffs in arcade too. 

Trying to pick up Dudley again, his combos are so satisfying, and that moustache....
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SpecialBuddy

Yo I play el fuerte and troll people by splashing over and over again.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By CL60

I play Dhalsim.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19  Edited By killroycantkill

I think Abel needs this Breathless to be homing so I can grab you in the air, he also needs a shoryuken. OH and Adon wake up speed. And maybe his tornado throw should have T Hawk range.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Scooper
    @SpecialBuddy said:
    " Yo I play el fuerte and troll people by splashing over and over again. "
    Yo but I'm gunna be able to SRK it this time. DAMN. Ok next time my SRK will auto-correct. DAMN DAMN!! Ok now I'm mad I'm gunna SRK the fuck out of him whatever he does next on my wakeup. FUCK!
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gabriel
    @SpecialBuddy said:
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @Scooper said:
    " @SpecialBuddy said:
    Yo but I'm gunna be able to SRK it this time. DAMN. Ok next time my SRK will auto-correct. DAMN DAMN!! Ok now I'm mad I'm gunna SRK the fuck out of him whatever he does next on my wakeup. FUCK! "
    Thats the story of my Street Fighter career.
    gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gosukiller
    @Killroycantkill said:
    " I think Abel needs this Breathless to be homing so I can grab you in the air, he also needs a shoryuken. OH and Adon wake up speed. And maybe his tornado throw should have T Hawk range. "
    YO HAWK SHOULD GET A ROLL MB ALSO A ROLL IN THE AIR IDUNNO PEACE
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By killroycantkill
    @gosukiller said:
    " @Killroycantkill said:
    " I think Abel needs this Breathless to be homing so I can grab you in the air, he also needs a shoryuken. OH and Adon wake up speed. And maybe his tornado throw should have T Hawk range. "
    YO HAWK SHOULD GET A ROLL MB ALSO A ROLL IN THE AIR IDUNNO PEACE "
    HAHA!

In all seriousness though I think I'm getting better with Abel, but I still have a problem with rolling too much. I'm getting his 1 frame f.mk, s.hp to whatever down more consistently now but I still have trouble  just with general gameplay mix ups, as in don't do the same thing over and over again.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Scooper
    @Killroycantkill said:
    " @gosukiller said:
    " @Killroycantkill said:
    YO HAWK SHOULD GET A ROLL MB ALSO A ROLL IN THE AIR IDUNNO PEACE "
    HAHA!  In all seriousness though I think I'm getting better with Abel, but I still have a problem with rolling too much. I'm getting his 1 frame f.mk, s.hp to whatever down more consistently now but I still have trouble  just with general gameplay mix ups, as in don't do the same thing over and over again. "
    A good thing to do I find is to play someone you know a lot because if you play the same person many many times you're forced into trying out new ways of attack and mixup because all the old stuff they are now savvy to and are blocking/countering. It's also nice to figure things like that out in Endless with a mate instead of in ranked because you've got nothing to loose and can just dick around more.
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By killroycantkill
    @Scooper: Me and Pessh play endless a bunch and that's basically how it goes. Though I never learn to look at his meter to avoid EX Spinning  Bird kick lol.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
    deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yo, Adon and Fuerte player here, former Abel player. 

......Shit is awesome.....

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gosukiller

While practicing Adon against Ricetopher and Pessh I briefly switched over to Sakura.

Let's just say I had 100x more fun playing her than playing Adon. Since my offline mate mains her I might try to pick her up instead, got some nice impressions from her.

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ricetopher
    @gosukiller: YES PLEASE QUIT ADON
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Pessh
    @gosukiller: Talk to roy

Definitely going to put more time into Dudley. Finding his links easier now I'm back on pad, and I play Chun like you're supposed to play Dudley anyway. Hardly zone with her, just knock you down and then go batshit crazy.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Scooper
    @gosukiller: Sakura can be fun as hell to play and she does actualy have some depth past the standard mixups that everyone ends up doing. She's got some crazy links and things like that.
    yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By yates
    @Scooper said:
    " @gosukiller: Sakura can be fun as hell to play and she does actualy have some depth past the standard mixups that everyone ends up doing. She's got some crazy links and things like that. "
    I've been practising some links with her today. The next time I play you shit's going to be serious.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#33  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I play as Vega. He can jump off the wall.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I play too many characters. Trying to pare it down to Viper and have Rog on the back burner. 

I like flashy shit with Viper (Yo, FFF -> Ultra is fun as hell to do, and seismo chaining Sagat forever is awesome), but I'm too afraid to try it online, and I like being a trolling asshole with Rog. If I was confident in any other character that I can play I'd throw the boxer to the side, but I can't really play as anyone else right now. 

Was thinking Sagat for awhile, Adon I'm familiar with but bored of, and Gen was just too much of an uphill battle for me to deal with right now. 

killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By killroycantkill

I am still keeping  Abel as my main but I'm trying to get my alt down. Gave up on Seth because I suck too much to deal with the life, so I have it down to Cammy and Sakura. And no Gosu, NO SAKRUA HINTS EVER!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Scooper
    @Killroycantkill: I love playing Seth against people in Endless mode but hate playing as him against randoms in ranked. I hope the removal of his jumping fierce stretchy arms isn't too crippling because it's not that great anyways, it trades with everything right now.
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ricetopher

@SirOptimusPrime: From a match-up standpoint, maybe Honda would be a good secondary choice? Between Viper and Honda, I don't think there is single bad match-up for both of them. Plus you've played Balrog so charge characters are nothing new to you, hardest think in terms of executions is jab xx fierce hands and that's nothing compared to Viper.

On a completely different note, I think Akuma is going to finally end my alt crisis, just need to put in the time to get decent with him.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Scooper
    @ricetopher: The second they put Akuma's roundhouse loop back into the game I'm going to main Akuma lmao.
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SirOptimusPrime
    @ricetopher: I know you said 'compared to' and I don't want to sound like Capital A asshole, but Viper isn't that hard to play execution wise (shit, FFF is only like 40-50 dmg diff. from regular Fierce for the BnB, and does 3 extra damage when adding the ultra), she's hard to play fundamentally. Most characters from Guilty Gear and Melty Blood require intense execution for the super jump infinites, but on the converse those games are fundamentally SUPER one dimensional. 

I digress, I've always wanted to pick up Honda but hands combos -> st. rh are pretty obnoxious on pad, the only success I've had with rapid taps are Chun's EX combos since going from short -> EX legs is really easy. Maybe once I buy a stick I'll pick up Honda. Pianoing on pad feels miles different than pianoing on stick, as you'd imagine. 
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ricetopher

@SirOptimusPrime: Fair enough, I guess it's more of the fundamentals of Viper that scare me off. No idea who I'd recommend then if Honda is out of question, guess just keep trying characters. 

Also, had no idea you played on pad. Guess I assumed that Viper = stick player, but then again there are dudes like Wolfkrone who play Viper on pad, so anything is possible.

killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By killroycantkill
    @Scooper said:
    " @Killroycantkill: I love playing Seth against people in Endless mode but hate playing as him against randoms in ranked. I hope the removal of his jumping fierce stretchy arms isn't too crippling because it's not that great anyways, it trades with everything right now. "
    This is my exact feelings with Seth. I kind of find his strechy arms being taken away as a plus, it makes Seth have to do more of what he's best at, and that's getting in dat ass.
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SirOptimusPrime
    @ricetopher: Yeah, I dunno. Maybe I'll go Santhrax and pick up Sagat again. Whatever happens happens I guess, thanks for the input though. Gotta level up that Viper first.

@Killroycantkill: You should definitely go Cammy for alt. Not saying that because of tier lists or whatever, but I've seen far fewer good Cammy players than Sakuras. Because if you can get cr. fp (or is it st. fp? I've only ever seen the combo done and I don't play her) xx st. mp down...boy, you gonna rip. 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By JJOR64

YO I PLAY HONDA AND MASH BUTTONS AND WIN WHEN I HIT YOU 5 TIMES OK BYE

SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SpecialBuddy

Im so happy I made this thread into a troll thread. SOO happy.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By gosukiller
    @Killroycantkill said:
    " And no Gosu, NO SAKRUA HINTS EVER! "
    FINE!  Now you'll never learn my buttery Troll Hawk secrets. No! Stop asking!

I've decided I'm going to give Rose more attention before I move to new works in progress, like Adon and Sakura. I feel like I've gotten Ryu where I want him and I need to improve on my game overal, instead of just him.
    TheLegendofLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheLegendofLuke

Get revived, topic. 

So at the minute I'm trying to bust through the last 3 characters I have to get that shitty C rank achievement (I know, I know). 

I got Guile, Deejay and Rose left and I've hit a wall at about 700bp for them all.  

If anybody can give me the codes/cheats to be godlike with them that would be great, thx.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By gosukiller
    @TheLegendofLuke:

Funnily enough, this picture covers both your Zombie thread AND How-to-play Rose.
    Funnily enough, this picture covers both your Zombie thread AND How-to-play Rose.
    TheLegendofLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheLegendofLuke
    @gosukiller: So...what you're saying is I should get some brains?
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AndrewJD
    @TheLegendofLuke said:

" @gosukiller: So...what you're saying is I should get some brains? "  

It's clearly that you need to get stuck in and not run away a whole lot. Lame Rose players never win. 

Scooper can play all the characters you need to C rank so I'll just echo whatever he says when he replys to you :)
    gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By gosukiller
    @mubress: What?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.