Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Evil Ryu, does he have hype?

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By TechHits

I know that Evil Ryu is old news to people that follow street fighter 4 closely, but seeing as how he was just officially announced I was wondering how the bomber feel about him as a new addition. Evil Ryu's face smashing Ultra 2 was enough to make me want to try him out, and as a Alpha player it makes me happy to see him return with a vengeance.

management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By management

OMG YES!  

All we need now is a confirmation about AE coming to consoles. Evil Ryu definitely looks awesome and I can't wait to try him out. 

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#3  Edited By StarvingGamer

Meh, this game doesn't need more Shotos. I would gladly trade both Evil Ryu and Oni Akuma for a Q or something. 

At least he doesn't have the same normals. His FA looks sick as hell.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I mean, I'm glad that they are adding characters I'm actually capable of playing (unlike 9 out of 10 of the obscure Alpha or SFIII characters people always seem to want), but Evil Ryu is just kind of Ryu... mixed with Akuma. Yeah, that face smashing ultra is kind of amazingly brutal, but is he really necessary? Same goes with Oni, though I guess he at least has the advantage of a fairly unique moveset.

Nonetheless, whenever they bother releasing the Arcade Edition DLC for consoles for a reasonable price, I will be more than willing to play as him.

Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Giacomito

I'm more excited for Oni, the "eviler"? version of Akuma. He looks pretty cool with some pretty good mixup moves. 
    He can do sort of an air-dash move with looks pretty rad, and also, he can do raging demon in the air. 
    I think he might be a lot of fun and not the average shoto. 

also, I'm willing to bet that they will announce SSFIV:AE for consoles during their captivate event and that it will be released around june. 

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By gosukiller
    @Giacomito: I wouldn't exactly call  the normal Akuma evil, he's just a jerk. M. Bison and Juri are what I would call evil. Akuma doesn't kill indiscriminately.  

Not sure what the story about Oni Akuma is, but he seems to be using the same stance that Gouken uses. 
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By McGhee

Meh. . . fucking Evil Ryu. He's nothing compared to Evil Dan.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By dbz1995
    @gosukiller said:
    " M. Bison and Juri are what I would call evil. "
    Bison is the only character I actually think is pure evil.
     Wasn't excited at first, then saw the leaked videos and thought both Oni and Evil Ryu were both awesome, but now with MK coming out soon and SSFAE not, I'm not that hyped anymore. From what I've heard, Oni's meant to be Goutetsu, the father(?) of Gouken and Akuma, and the guy whom Akuma had killed.
    Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bravestar

I like his alternative costume, but other than that I'm not a big fan of evil ruy.
    I would have liked to see Elena, Urien or Birdie instead. Oni looks alright though.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By MysteriousBob

He sucked in Alpha and he continues to suck now. 

I don't mean he was weak, I just mean that the 'evil version of the protagonist' is one of the most boring fighting game archetypes possible. 

Also: hes just another shoto. Yawn.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Scooper

Evil Ryu is basically exactly the same as Akuma but with some sort of axe kick. Not that interesting tbh. Oni on the other hand looks like a damn beast. Can't wait to play him.

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ricetopher

The hype was there two months ago when we saw him and Oni. Capcom killed their own hype by handling it poorly and spending two months acting like it never happened. If Capcom had just rolled with the punches and altered their PR cycle, maybe we'd already have console confirmation and a release date. If people want to find everything the game has to offer, and that means two new characters, I don't see why the enthusiasm of the players shouldn't be rewarded instead of ignored/punished.

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By VicRattlehead
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " Meh. . . fucking Evil Ryu. He's nothing compared to Evil Dan. "
    THIS DUDE KNOWS WHATS UP.... 
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By scarace360

From what i played of him hes cool.

Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Giacomito
    @gosukiller: well Akuma is evil, I mean he was supposed to have killed Gouken, his own brother, just to become more powerful. 
    He doesn't go around killing everybody  because he doesn't deem anybody worthy of killing.  

Anyway, I'm hype for AE to hit consoles because I've played it here in the UK and it's awesome. The new tweaks to the characters are great. 
    gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gosukiller
    @Giacomito: You have to understand, the training underwent by Gouken and Akuma is the very basis of why Akuma 'killed' his brother. Akuma also killed his master, which was expected of him from that very master himself. 

I can see a case being made for Akuma being evil in a way, but Akuma is simply following the path that both he and Gouken were supposed to take. It was Gouken who in the end created his own technique and rejected the (original) teachings of Hado. 

The only people Akuma ever killed were people who were more than capable of defending themselves. Gen being a good example of this. 

All of this discussion heavily depends on each persons own definition of evil. 
    Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Giacomito
    @gosukiller: oh I didn't know that Gouken was the one who diverged from their supposed path. 
    I always assumed that Gouken was the one following the teachings and that Akuma decided to follow the "wrong" path to get the satsui no Hado. 

Either way, the fact that the path he chose was to kill his master, kind of shows that he is evil, right? he could've just like Gouken decided to not kill his master and thus not have to kill to become powerful, even though he was "supposed" to.

But yeah, I didn't know that so that's pretty interesting. 
       It's just easier to categorize him as evil since his name means Devil in the american version and great demon in the japanese one. 

anyway, this discussion is kinda off-topic so: 

do you guys think there will be more characters revealed for AE when it hits console? besides yun,yang,evil ryu and oni? 
    I think If they will release two more.  
    TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TechHits
    @Giacomito:  well considering E Ryu and O akuma leaked awhile back I would be vary surprised if there was more that they have managed to keep secret.
    gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gosukiller
    @Giacomito: Word in the grapevine is that there will be at least 6 characters ultimately in Arcade Edition. Have heard this from several sources, but too lazy to go search for them. 

That's a good point about the name by the way. Didn't know Gouki also meant something evil, always assumed they named him Akuma for the west just to make him seem more scary/badass.
    Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Giacomito
    @TechHits:
    Well, they leaked because someone gave out the code that unlocks them.  
    That doesn't mean that there are no more codes to unlock more characters, hopefully. 
    I think they kind of have to, they can't announce AE for consoles and then have it come out a couple months  after announcing it without any announcements in between to maintain the hype until release, like they did with SSFIV, every now and then announce some more characters. 

I think by looking at the char.select screen now with yun and yang, and later with evil ryu and akuma there is definitely space for two more to keep the screen looking nice and symmetrical. 

Anybody know when exactly the Captivate event is? I know it's April but would be cool to know the exact dates to we know when to expect any news regarding fighting games from capcom
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Undeadpool

Two new Shotos? Wow, Capcom, slow down! I mean we only have three in the game already.

@McGhee_the_Insomniac
    said:

" Meh. . . fucking Evil Ryu. He's nothing compared to Evil Dan. "

Agreed.
    TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TechHits
    @Giacomito:  isn't that spot filled with random select?
    Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Giacomito
    @gosukiller:  Yeah I heard that too, and I think one of the sources was the same that leaked all the new characters for SSFIV way ahead of release and was spot-on right?   

@TechHits: I guess you're right, forgot about that.  
    But as gosukiller said, there have been rumours floating around that there will be 6 new characters in total, and we now know of 4, so 2 more will be announced I think. 
    I think that Capcom will announce AE for consoles in April, and then announce 2 more characters (besides oni, evil ryu, yun and yang) sometime in may, and then release AE as DLC in june. 
    TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TechHits
    @Giacomito:  that could be, SF games have not always had a random select box, they could just make it start, and add two new characters.
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Example1013
    @Undeadpool: Aren't there technically 5? (Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Sakura, Gouken)
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Undeadpool
    @example1013: I feel like those two are different enough (Their Hadoukens can be angled, Gouken doesn't even have a shoryuken, etc.). Ryu, Ken and Akuma have essentially the same moveset (with Akuma having an air fireball and different super/ultras). 

Edit: And to take it a step further, rather than introducing new characters we're just getting pumped up versions of the SAME characters. It's absolute crap after these great rumors of Rolento, Yun and Yang, or Alex.
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Example1013
    @Undeadpool: Yeah, that's true. I guess they're arguable because all their moves are at least somewhat derivative from the "traditional" shotos.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Undeadpool
    @example1013: True, but they changed enough, I feel. Plus Gouken's Shoryuken is actually more of a charging attack (in that he charges forward, not that you have to charge up the attack). Really, if you try to play either of them the way you play Ryu/Ken/Akuma, you're not going to do well, but any of those three I feel are interchangeable until you get to higher level play.
    management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By management
    @Undeadpool said:
    " @example1013: I feel like those two are different enough (Their Hadoukens can be angled, Gouken doesn't even have a shoryuken, etc.). Ryu, Ken and Akuma have essentially the same moveset (with Akuma having an air fireball and different super/ultras).  Edit: And to take it a step further, rather than introducing new characters we're just getting pumped up versions of the SAME characters. It's absolute crap after these great rumors of Rolento, Yun and Yang, or Alex. "
    Don't forget that Yun & Yang are in the game so it's not only shotos being added.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TechHits: Evil Ryu? 

Oni and yang; nothing else matters.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By Pessh
    @GetEveryone said:
    " @TechHits: Evil Ryu?  Oni and yang; nothing else matters. "
    More rushdown and less charge is all that matters
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#32  Edited By Hailinel

I'd rather punch myself in the nuts than play another fighting game with "evil" variants of existing characters.

Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Giacomito
    @Pessh: everybody and their mother playing yun online is all that matters
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Undeadpool
    @Management said:
    " @Undeadpool said:
    " @example1013: I feel like those two are different enough (Their Hadoukens can be angled, Gouken doesn't even have a shoryuken, etc.). Ryu, Ken and Akuma have essentially the same moveset (with Akuma having an air fireball and different super/ultras).  Edit: And to take it a step further, rather than introducing new characters we're just getting pumped up versions of the SAME characters. It's absolute crap after these great rumors of Rolento, Yun and Yang, or Alex. "
    Don't forget that Yun & Yang are in the game so it's not only shotos being added. "
    Are they? I know they're in arcades, but I only know that Evil Ryu/Devil Akuma are confirmed for DLC.
    Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Giacomito
    @Undeadpool: no one has been confirmed for DLC yet. 
    There is a rumour that the current Arcade Version will be released as DLC, and THAT version has yun, yang, evil ryu and (not yet unlocked) Oni. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pessh said:
    " @GetEveryone said:
    " @TechHits: Evil Ryu?  Oni and yang; nothing else matters. "
    More rushdown and less charge is all that matters "
    I'm going to bring my Ken game to a new level. 

The rushdown will be heavenly.
    management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By management
    @Undeadpool said:
    " @Management said:
    " @Undeadpool said:
    Don't forget that Yun & Yang are in the game so it's not only shotos being added. "
    Are they? I know they're in arcades, but I only know that Evil Ryu/Devil Akuma are confirmed for DLC. "
    Evil Ryu and Oni have not been confirmed for consoles. There is a rumour  about the Arcade Edition being DLC for consoles, and that version has Yun & Yang as well.  
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Undeadpool
    @Giacomito said:
    " @Undeadpool: no one has been confirmed for DLC yet. There is a rumour that the current Arcade Version will be released as DLC, and THAT version has yun, yang, evil ryu and (not yet unlocked) Oni.  "
    That would be preferable, but it's still somewhat disappointing that they didn't fill the other two slots with more original characters.
    WrathOfBanja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39  Edited By WrathOfBanja
    @StarvingGamer said:
    " Meh, this game doesn't need more Shotos. I would gladly trade both Evil Ryu and Oni Akuma for a Q or something.  At least he doesn't have the same normals. His FA looks sick as hell. "
    Oh god... Q would have been sick. 
    We have what, five Ryus already?
    Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bravestar

Even this video says: Overall imagine Ruy with Akuma's tricks. Lazy character design.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By toowalrus

I just think he looks rad- I'd play as him.

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By lilbigsupermario

Any new character for SSFIV is cool!  But yeah, I would rather see more characters from SFIII like Hugo or Elena and from the Alpha series like Rolento :P  I still would like to play Evil Ryu and Oni though hehe!

Immuniity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By Immuniity

More shotos..no.
     More DARK AND EVIL shotos...goddamnit.

Theres an extended library of characters they could of picked from and they choose two extremely boring characters that play extremely similar to half a dozen other characters in the game. If you're going to bring back psuedo clones..give me the ghost of Charlie.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.