Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

My online experiences in SSFIV(Blog Post)

Jemenez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jemenez

When this game came out, i was wondering who would be the most played online character, My first thought was Ken because of how popular he was in vanilla and it would carry over to this game.
     I was right, then I was not right.

I fought a blend of characters, mostly new characters. My first was a dudley(Free win), Then my second fight was Juri. After all of the recent online matches i've played, i'd have to say Juri is so far the most online played character in SSFIV, Im not sure if its just me or not. The majority of Juri's just spam Dive kicks with their u2. Usually they would hit their EX dive kicks but yet miss the ultra combo because they are doing it too early.

The second most fought was my guess, Ken.  Flowchart kens were back. Not much as the juri's but they were still there and still existed. They did the same thing as they did in vanilla.

Lets talk about Ranked and Other endless battles shall we?

Ranked battle: Really nothing to fancy, I saw a few players host a 1 round 30 seconds match.

Endless Battle:I don't really like it that much. Most people Host 8 players and there is one player who dominates everyone else and it takes awhile before its your turn again. When i play endless I usually look for a 3 man lobby or less.

Team Battle: Great idea to be honest, I had a few matches were people sounded like they were having a great time over their microphones and helping eachother out. I recall when a vega was on my team another teamate was helping him. The only thing I don't like about team battle is that too much people play with their friends versus randoms. To me its rare to find a game were there isn't two people on the team who arent friends. The only time i ever host one of these matches is when its not an all-random lobby.

Replay system:I really haven't found much use for this yet, I still use the "New Replays" option in it. I don't go to the certain channels to see a random match of two people. Lets say I want to find a Ryu match. I would go to the "new replays" option instead of the "Original characters" channel. 

Edit:I wish there was a way to search an endless lobby were you could search how many players were in the lobby, not just by how much rounds and time

What are your thoughts on the online system now?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

I don't play many fighting games online so can't say just how good it is compared to most. Overall though, I'm having fun just playing through standard ranked matchs, despite my huge loss ratio.
    wildwop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By wildwop

Ranked Battle is a bit of a mess for me so far.   

1. "Same Skill" flatly does not work.  I'm at around 600pp, and fight people 4 and 5 times that level on a regular basis, not to mention some who were in the 3,000bp area
    2. The same dumb connection logic persists from the first one, ending up in a fair bit of "could not join, search again?".  If it can go out and find me matches to successfully connect to while matchmaking during Arcade, how does it have so much trouble in regular Ranked?
    3. If Ranked is supposed to be a match of people of like skill (and if "Same Skill" actually did something) why would Quick Battle not have Same Skill as default?  

Also wish you could enter your own endless-battle-ish room where it keeps going out and finding new Ranked opponents to fight.  Cuts out the "could not joins" and also prevents the purposeful selection of people through the Custom search filter.  I wanted some rather soft practice against a Makoto and an Ibuki the other day, and kept seeing the same names pop up in Custom so I knew what I'd be getting when I selected them from the list... that kind of thing shouldn't exist in a Ranked space. 

Outside of my problems with Ranked, though, they did a great job setting up fun ways to play online.  Endless Battle with a group of friends is exactly what it should be (if a bit... empty / dead silent when playing randoms) and is probably as close as most of us will get to the arcade experience these days.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.