Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Official "Who should I Main?" Thread

SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpecialBuddy

After the ungodly amount of these popping up I decided that we should just make a dedicated topic about it.  

This topic for people who: 

• Want advise on who to main.
    • Are thinking of switching mains.
    • Want to discuss the general strengths and weaknesses of characters based on their personal play style.

So just post your situation and I'm sure that people will give their two cents on your matter.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jeffsekai

I thinking of maining Blanka what should I do?

SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " I thinking of maining Blanka what should I do? "
    Go for it. An ass for an ass.
    yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By yetiantics

Blanka and Ken suck. Dan's where its at, Yo!
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By napalm

I think this might be better if we have a breakdown for all of the characters, (execution level, type of character,  Ultra-ability, damage, etc.)

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By napalm

Here's an example: REVISED 2*

Character: Guile 
    Type: Charge
    Playstyle: Defensive / Zoning + Pressure
    Strengths: Fast projectiles, good anti airs, good spacing, good footsies
    Weaknesses: Poor cross-up defense
    Execution Barrier: Medium 

DO: Use Sonic Boom to slowly wear down your opponent and get them in the corner and use Guile's standing fierce attacks as they do a lot of damage and keep on the pressure on your opponent. use c.FP as an anti air as it's reliable 85% of the time. 

DO NOT: Stay away from wake up Flash Kick's as they are easily punished, and avoid c.FK when possible as it's punishable in between sweeps. 

Additional Notes: Guile's main focus is less on complex combos and more on spacing and and playing mind games to get the opponent in the corner for a rushdown opportunity. Sonic Hurricane is great for those opponents with poor spacing habits with projectiles, and it can also work as an anti air. 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By toowalrus

I like Bison. In his alternate costume. And dressed in black. He looks like a zombie. Oh, someone explain all of the fancy terms which i probably do from reflex, but don't actually know the proper names of. What the hell is a cancel? Ha, I actually suck at the game. NO. Wait, I win half my games, I'm fucking awesome.

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Napalm said:
    " Here's an example: REVISED 2* Character: Guile Type: ChargePlaystyle: Defensive / Zoning + PressureStrengths: Fast projectiles, good anti airs, good spacing, good footsiesWeaknesses: Poor cross-up defenseExecution Barrier: Medium  DO: Use Sonic Boom to slowly wear down your opponent and get them in the corner and use Guile's standing fierce attacks as they do a lot of damage and keep on the pressure on your opponent. use c.FP as an anti air as it's reliable 85% of the time.  DO NOT: Stay away from wake up Flash Kick's as they are easily punished, and avoid c.FK when possible as it's punishable in between sweeps.  Additional Notes: Guile's main focus is less on complex combos and more on spacing and and playing mind games to get the opponent in the corner for a rushdown opportunity. Sonic Hurricane is great for those opponents with poor spacing habits with projectiles, and it can also work as an anti air.  "
    Wow, from this, I really like Guile. He seems like the lamest MFer one can play as. Just throw out a boom and press some buttons. That's like a flowchart that actually works.  
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By napalm
    @PhaggyBigNastyMcKill: Ugh. The point of Guile is pressure and mind games. He can go offensive, but the point of this thread, I believe is just stating the  the most basic styles of a character.
    Jemenez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jemenez

Well I'm thinking about maining fuerte, but then again, viper is fun as hell

Fuck it i've been maining fuerte, maybe I can get viper as my alt instead of seth

D:

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Napalm said:
    " @PhaggyBigNastyMcKill: Ugh. The point of Guile is pressure and mind games. He can go offensive, but the point of this thread, I believe is just stating the  the most basic styles of a character. "
    Whatever, I saw Justin Wong lose twice (not sets, games) to that kind of gameplay. why do anything else with him when you can just be lame and make the other player work harder to get in on you. Even if they do get in, I can mash out jabs all day long til they are far away enough to reset the whole situation. Save your fancy combos for combo videos, I get enough joy building my wall and seeing the frustration in people as they can't do shit. lols. 
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By lordofultima
    @PhaggyBigNastyMcKill: Is that what you saw? Because I saw Guile working just as hard if not harder to keep that fat POS out of his grill than Justin  working to get in.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By napalm
    @PhaggyBigNastyMcKill said:

" @Napalm said:

" @PhaggyBigNastyMcKill: Ugh. The point of Guile is pressure and mind games. He can go offensive, but the point of this thread, I believe is just stating the  the most basic styles of a character. "
    Whatever, I saw Justin Wong lose twice (not sets, games) to that kind of gameplay. why do anything else with him when you can just be lame and make the other player work harder to get in on you. Even if they do get in, I can mash out jabs all day long til they are far away enough to reset the whole situation. Save your fancy combos for combo videos, I get enough joy building my wall and seeing the frustration in people as they can't do shit. lols.  "
    You're a damned idiot. lolz 

@lordofultima said:
    " @PhaggyBigNastyMcKill: Is that what you saw? Because I saw Guile working just as hard if not harder to keep that fat POS out of his grill than Justin  working to get in. "
    Yep. You pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By AniMoney
    @Napalm said:

DO NOT: Stay away from wake up Flash Kick's as they are easily punished, and avoid c.FK when possible as it's punishable in between sweeps.  

Do not stay away from wakeup flash kicks? Errrr I think you should reword that. 

Also, Iplaywinner has this already.  http://iplaywinner.com/superstreetfighter4
    Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SirOptimusPrime
    @Jemenez: 

The only problem I've had with having El Fuerte as a backup is that he is incredibly poor in the close game. His very slow HK and HP are not worth using and his shower kick is extremely unsafe. Everything is about the Hdash and taking enough damage to pull off the Ultra Spark. He's no good if you plan on beating more than half of the characters. Having no projectiles and mediocre anti-air also kneecaps him greatly. He will ruin mashers and turtlers though, if in the right hands. Oh, and his wake ups are kind of poor. 

MMkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By MMkain
    @SirOptimusPrime said:

" @Jemenez:  The only problem I've had with having El Fuerte as a backup is that he is incredibly poor in the close game. His very slow HK and HP are not worth using and his shower kick is extremely unsafe. Everything is about the Hdash and taking enough damage to pull off the Ultra Spark. He's no good if you plan on beating more than half of the characters. Having no projectiles and mediocre anti-air also kneecaps him greatly. He will ruin mashers and turtlers though, if in the right hands. Oh, and his wake ups are kind of poor.   "

El Fuerte is a gimmicky character whose almost sole focus is his nasty wakeup mixup game. Your success with him depends heavily on your ability to read and condition your opponent. Playing fuerte like an orthodox character is the wrong thing to do.
    Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SirOptimusPrime
    @MMkain: If I'm using a grappler, I want to be able to respond to any sort of pressure with his sp grabs, but with Fuerte you have to respond by running in a very obvious direction, opening yourself up for multiple ways of response.  

Anyways, I don't want to argue about a character I've decided upon giving up.  If I want to use a semi-grappler, I'll go with Abel. If I had some time to sit and think, I'd try and write a mini-guide for Adon like Napalm did for Guile. 
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By lordofultima
    @SirOptimusPrime: And what direction could you run in that wouldn't be obvious? Diagonally upward towards the sky perhaps. Food for thought. Smart Fuerte play usually involves run stop to fake players out and bait them into whiffing a move, at which point they'll punish. Fuerte punishes with his run a lot, doesn't matter how 'obvious' the direction is, if you whiff a DP you are at his mercy.
    tastyaubergine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tastyaubergine

Ok so I just got SSF4 and I suck :/ im wondering who would be good to main for a beginner, any suggestions?

Avatar image for thelegendofluke
    TheLegendofLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By TheLegendofLuke
    @tastyaubergine: Really the choice is up to you. You have to find the character that you enjoy using and matches how you want to play the game.  

Maybe go through some of the trials with all the characters and see which of them you seem to click with.
    breaking3po

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By breaking3po
    @MysteriousBob:
    @tastyaubergine said:

"Ok so I just got SSF4 and I suck :/ im wondering who would be good to main for a beginner, any suggestions? "

Try out some basic combos with those characters that you like, use youtube fight/combo videos to find some and shoryuken.com forums.  

To see how that character really handles, try to get a handle on using those combos to punish missed moves and mistakes. If by the time you are punishing consistantly with basic bread and butter combos, and you're not vibing with that character, try out another. After a while you find someone who feels good to you. 

@PhaggyBigNastyMcKill said:
    " @Napalm said:
    " I get enough joy building my wall and seeing the frustration in people as they can't do shit. lols.  " 

AKA Pressure and Mind games?
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @tastyaubergine said:
    " Ok so I just got SSF4 and I suck :/ im wondering who would be good to main for a beginner, any suggestions? "
    Dan Hibiki is not just the best fighter in SSFIV, but in any fighting game ever.
    breaking3po

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By breaking3po
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " @tastyaubergine said:
    " Ok so I just got SSF4 and I suck :/ im wondering who would be good to main for a beginner, any suggestions? "
    Dan Hibiki is not just the best fighter in SSFIV, but in any fighting game ever. "

He jokes because at a high level Dan kinda... sucks. But even with him you can begin to learn the fundamentals. That's why I don't mention any particular characters, you can begin to learn Street Fighter by picking any character that suits you. You'll learn combos, punishing, spacing and footsies, applying pressure, timing, execution, and everything else by picking any character, practicing, learning from others, and fighting.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CL60

I main Dhalsim.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By napalm
    @breaking3po: Learn to use the fucking quote system properly. I was not the retard who said what you quoted.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.