Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Pad to Stick transition.

hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By hungrynun

After a ton of deliberation and overall procrastination on my part, I finally decided to pick up an arcade stick. It came in today! 

Bing.
     Bing.
    I was trying to get a general feel out for it and such and dayum, It's fucking hard as shit on a first timer. I mean there are some simple combos that I just can't get out (read: landing a follow up after a jump in connects). Everything still feels very foreign.

Any stick users out there have any tips? Tricks? Any other people who were pad now gone to the dark side offer any personal guidance? I would love to hear from you guys.

Anyway I'm going back to bashing myself amongst the rocks until I get a feel for this $130 (worth it) contraption.
    hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By hungrynun

After a ton of deliberation and overall procrastination on my part, I finally decided to pick up an arcade stick. It came in today! 

Bing.
     Bing.
    I was trying to get a general feel out for it and such and dayum, It's fucking hard as shit on a first timer. I mean there are some simple combos that I just can't get out (read: landing a follow up after a jump in connects). Everything still feels very foreign.

Any stick users out there have any tips? Tricks? Any other people who were pad now gone to the dark side offer any personal guidance? I would love to hear from you guys.

Anyway I'm going back to bashing myself amongst the rocks until I get a feel for this $130 (worth it) contraption.
    captaincanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By captaincanada

i just got a stick myself and was usually great with a controller but ive just found my best position button and stick wise i think the key is finding a grip on the stick thats comfortable and suits your character i thread  it inbetween my middle finger and ring finger then wrap other fingers around comfortable and am able to do most moves without trouble
    Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Organicalistic_

At my pat girls ride my stick, what about that do you not understand?!!!!!!!!!!!

LiquidSaiyan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By LiquidSaiyan3

I'd like to see some tips too. I actually just put in the order for my stick today  and could get all the advice I can get

hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hungrynun

It's nice to see I'm not the only one thinking about it.

@CaptainCanada: Yeah this feels comfortable for sure. I think they call it the wine glass hold or something like that. But I found that I'm pretty comfortable holding it with three fingers (Thumb, Index, Middle) kinda like a big pencil. The only problem with that is when I get to the left side of the screen the motions are pretty tough. Still practicing and getting the feel for it the more I do.

P.S. The SNK style button lay out (the first three button sets) are pretty pimpin.

captainfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By captainfish

I switched to a stick a year ago to play SFIV vanilla, and I've got to admit, I've had mixed success. My charge character play improved instantly (but I don't main any charge guys), and moves that I believed were too long to do with short timing became feasible. Advanced techniques like kara throws become much easier with the buttons. Full circles and half circles also became a lot easier to do, but my quarter circles were (and still kinda are) terrible. I was kicked back down to that time as a kid, where I could do hadokens from one side, but not from the other. I'm still working on that, but we're not talking about me, we're trying to help you, on to the tips. 

First, I would experiment with various hand positions until you have a style down. Page of Tips and positions. You may find that different positions work in different situations, so try to keep it loose. Start out with exaggerated movements with the stick at the throw (maximum) tilt, then try to reduce tilt and extraneous motions. SFIV is great for this because it has good prioritization, for example down back to up forward punch will still give you a hadoken. Also don't forget that button positioning is just as important as the stick grip. You need to be able to hit your throws/reversals, focus attacks, and (most importantly) your taunts at will. Since there 6-8 buttons and you only have 5 digits, you'll need to have flexibility here too.  Practice is the most important thing to do. Try to play a little everyday, if you have trouble with certain moves, go into training and try to do several (10? 25? 50?) in a row without error. To be honest, this is hard for me to do, I just wanna get online and play, but if you take a little time it will improve your game.

Jikla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jikla

I was thinking of buying an fighting stick myself. The madcatz SSF4 tournament stick when they release it here in Norway (10.may I think). But it costs like 250$ over here T_T

v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By v
    @Jikla: is there anyway that you could get an SE stick for cheap and mod it? Or are you just wanting to get a stick?
    Jikla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jikla
    @V:
    I just want an fight stick so I can use it with most of the fighting games I have and I really want to get into the fighting genre. I have no clue how to mod a stick and I don't know why I should do it.
    Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Watch all of this guy's stick tutorials. He explains it in great detail and in simple terms, even offering visual aids.

SocialQuandary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By SocialQuandary

I'm in no way what you would call 'good' at Street Fighter, but back with original Street Fighter IV I made a similar transition. When I got my stick I almost immediately regretted it. I could no longer perform pretty basic combos that I used to be able to do with ease on a pad. I also found that I'd be flustered more so than usual in live fights, panicking when pressured. 

Advice that I can offer is to not get discouraged. Getting used to the stick was like being introduced to the game all over again. Spending a lot of time in training mode or even just playing against the computer, in retrospect, would've done me a lot of good. There's nothing more infuriating than losing to someone because you are failing to execute -- it's less bad when it's just against the AI. Looking at and getting comfortable with different ways of holding the stick is also extremely helpful, like CaptainFish suggested. Finding out what hold allows you to comfortably perform your characters moves should make it easier to do combos that you may have had difficulty doing before. 

Additionally, go through the Trial Challenges again. Those helped me realize exactly which combos I had a tougher time doing, giving me a clear indicator of what to work on in Training mode (crouching FP into EX Tatsu was extremely difficult for me -- something I didn't expect). Other than that just keep practicing and be patient, it's going to take some time to fully adjust.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#13  Edited By gla55jAw

It's been said but you really just need to get used to it. When I first got my tournament stick, I was not good at it. I played a lot worse than I did on the normal 360 controller and switched back to the 360 controller for a while. But I finally went back and just played a lot with the stick and it becomes second nature and feels great. I still want to get an octagonal plate for mine though. Just keep using it. Play arcade mode over and over if you have to.

hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hungrynun

Much oblige on the feed back y'all. Hopefully the turn around won't be so long with getting used to the stick. Loving it so far and as always training mode will be my residence for execution/familiarity as I continue to drudge on.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By JokerSmilez

The best advice I can give is to go back in time and play a ton of fighting games in arcades so to you, playing a fighting game with a stick feels "right". I could never play a fighting game on 360 controller (maybe a SNES controller back in the day, but still wasn't "right") so when I tried playing some HD Remix with friends, it was not fun trying to throw a fireball and getting nothing but a punch. When I finally took the plunge of trying to get back into fighting games in a somewhat serious way and bought a stick, it just felt like I was home, albeit a new home with some slightly different furnishings (ball-top instead of bat, convex buttons instead of convcave, ergonomic buttons instead of straight, and square gate instead of round). But it felt good.

Failing that, practice, practice, practice. 

The stick is going to be similar to an analog stick but with a square gate (which is what comes stock on most joysticks and is standard in Japan), which is a tough transition. Even for me, when I first got my stick, it took some getting used to because American arcades use Happ parts, which have circle gates (like the analog stick on a 360 controller). I was used to pushing the stick to the edge of the gate and rolling it around to execute moves. That doesn't work so well on a square gate. You have to kind of get used to rolling within the gate (if that makes sense), especially for those quarter circle movements which are so important to so many characters.

For the buttons, think of them more like a keyboard than a controller. With a controller, you're used to using your thumbs to do most of the button presses, but with a joystick, you're using mostly your first 3 fingers.

It's a little like learning to drive a standard transmission, I think. It may take some getting used to, and you may have to suffer through some frustration, and an initially steep learning curve, but in the end, it'll make you a better driver. Once you've gotten used to a stick and using it has become second nature to you, (IMO) you'll be able to perform moves much quicker and with more precision and consistency. Not that you can't be good with a pad, but I feel that if you're going to spend all that time to get good with a control type, it may as well be a stick. Unless you're already a pro at fighting games on a pad, it's not going to hurt too much to relearn what little you do on a stick. It'll help you in the end.

I might suggest playing a charge character like Balrog or Guile to start with, just to get you familiar with the stick. Initially, charge characters are much easier to play with on a stick, especially on a square gate. Once you feel comfortable with the stick and buttons, etc. try a character like Dudley who uses rolls, but all half circle rolls. It will get you used to the more reactionary style of play of that type of character and get you used to how to properly do a roll motion on a stick with a square gate. From there, you can move on to a "shoto-type", like Ken or Ryu who has lots of quarter circle movements, which I think are the hardest to learn to pull off on a stick with a square gate. It doesn't take forever but it's certainly trickier than a Sonic Boom.

If you REALLY can't stand the square gate thing, you can always switch to an octagonal gate, but that may not be the best idea. I've heard it said over and over that it's worth the time to get used to a square gate, because then instead of relying on the shape of the gate to guide your motions, you're actually controlling the motion yourself. This will reduce the throw distance needed to perform the moves, and make you faster and more efficient with the stick. But don't take my word for it. They cost about $5 and are really easy to swap in and out, so it's not too hard to try one out if you want.

Most important is to keep practicing and try not to get too frustrated. In the end, it will be worth it, if you stick to it. Unless of course you have a time machine handy...

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By rjayb89

Discouraging, yet helpful words for someone who just bought a fight stick and is waiting for his to arrive.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.