Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Street Fighter Short Hand

fragor87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By fragor87

Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to Street Fighter and have been doing a bunch of research on general game strategies, tips, etc.  There appears to be a bunch of information out there on characters but one issue I'm running across is how that information is being displayed.  I cannot for the life of me find any "key" that can translate all of this combo talk etc.  Can somebody please break this stuff down for me?  For example, I'm talking about terms like c.LP, FADC, etc.  My n00b self would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks!

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By ImperiousRix

Well, I don't understand some of the shorthand myself, but I can definitely help for a few of these. 
    FADC is a shorthand for Focus Attack Dash Cancel, IE executing all or part of a Focus Attack, and cancelling some of the animation with either a forward or back dash. 
    c.LP is shorthand for crouching light punch.  To simply say light punch, you need only drop the "c".  It's like this for the other commandsfor punches and kicks as well, for example a crouching hard punch (or fierce punch) would be c.HP or c.FP. 
    Hope that helps a little bit.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Renahzor

FADC = Focus Attack Dash Cancel, typically this will be referrring to canceling a move with FA, and dashing out, usually to perform another move as a juggle, or to remain safe on otherwise unsafe moves.

SRK = Shoryuken, Dragon punch move

c.  s.  j.  are crouching standing and jumping versions of a normal move respectively.

Sometimes you'll see numbers, which would be standard number pad notation from the P1 side.  ie:  forward is 6, down is 2, etc. 

xx means a special move that cancels a normal.  ie:  c.mk xx hadoken.  the hadoken is performed in such a way as it cancels some of the recovery frames of cr.mk creating a combo.  

Those are what you'll typically see in combo notation, any others you're confused about?

Edit:  one of the other confusing things you might see, there are light, medium, and hard of every punch and every kick, but sometimes these are referred differently.
    Short = lk
    forward = mk
    Roundhouse = hk
    jab = lp
    strong/medium = mp
    fierce = hp

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By renmckormack

Yes see above for most stuff 

It seems like capcom has adopted the (light medium strong) for punches and kicks (i.e. lp hk. etc etc)
    BUT it is important to also note, if you are old you might see
    jab strong fierce(for punchces light medium strong) 
    short forward roundhouse (for kicks light medium strong) 

other notes you will def see are qcf (quarter circle forward, on the stick i.e. hadouken)  hcf (half circle forward) 

the other problem you are likely having is people using the actual name of the move or some shortened form i.e. hurricane kick (ryu ken sakura's spinning kick is referred to as tatsu the short version of whatever the actual name is) or you could abbreviate as l tatsu or qcb lk

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By renmckormack
    @Renahzor said:
    " FADC = Focus Attack Dash Cancel, typically this will be referrring to canceling a move with FA, and dashing out, usually to perform another move as a juggle, or to remain safe on otherwise unsafe moves.  SRK = Shoryuken, Dragon punch move c.  s.  j.  are crouching standing and jumping versions of a normal move respectively.  Sometimes you'll see numbers, which would be standard number pad notation from the P1 side.  ie:  forward is 6, down is 2, etc.   xx means a special move that cancels a normal.  ie:  c.mk xx hadoken.  the hadoken is performed in such a way as it cancels some of the recovery frames of cr.mk creating a combo.    Those are what you'll typically see in combo notation, any others you're confused about?  Edit:  one of the other confusing things you might see, there are light, medium, and hard of every punch and every kick, but sometimes these are referred differently. Short = lk forward = mk Roundhouse = hk jab = lp medium = mp fierce = hp "
    you beat me to it with your edits!
    Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Renahzor
    @RenMcKormack: 

Woooo! edits go!  :)
    dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By dipstick

http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=221033

:)

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Renahzor
    @RenMcKormack said:
    " hurricane kick (ryu ken sakura's spinning kick is referred to as tatsu the short version of whatever the actual name is) or you could abbreviate as l tatsu or qcb lk "
    I actually really dislike when people do this, its very confusing and just takes more time to look up what they're talking about if you don't know the character, especially when it's a move that is commonly called something else.  Tatsu is ok for those because its a common term to bind the same looking move with the motion to perform it, but calling sakura's a "Shunpukyaku" because you know it is just annoying as shit.  It actually really bothers me that in super they've reverted to using only proper move names and not allowing an on-the-fly swap back to commands, requiring a menu to see them. 
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Scooper
    @Renahzor said:
    " @RenMcKormack said:
    " hurricane kick (ryu ken sakura's spinning kick is referred to as tatsu the short version of whatever the actual name is) or you could abbreviate as l tatsu or qcb lk "
    I actually really dislike when people do this, its very confusing and just takes more time to look up what they're talking about if you don't know the character, especially when it's a move that is commonly called something else.  Tatsu is ok for those because its a common term to bind the same looking move with the motion to perform it, but calling sakura's a "Shunpukyaku" because you know it is just annoying as shit.  It actually really bothers me that in super they've reverted to using only proper move names and not allowing an on-the-fly swap back to commands, requiring a menu to see them.  "
    Yeah that is kinda annoying.
    renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By renmckormack

agreed with the named moves being annoying.  Now that super is out with all the caharcters and the quasi Japanese flying around everything is immensley confusing which is why I have been puching for common names RE the moves i.e. every tatsu-like move is hurricane kick 

come on people.  We can do this GB street Fighter dictionary

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By AndrewJD
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

Is there a guide made for all of this on Giant Bomb at all?  Just curious, because if not, we should get on that.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Luke
    @jakob187 said:
    " Is there a guide made for all of this on Giant Bomb at all?  Just curious, because if not, we should get on that. "
    Word on the street is that guides are really buggy right now, making people not so enthusiastic about making them.  Correct me if I'm wrong though. 
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By lordofultima
    @Renahzor said:

" @RenMcKormack said:

I actually really dislike when people do this, its very confusing and just takes more time to look up what they're talking about if you don't know the character, especially when it's a move that is commonly called something else.  Tatsu is ok for those because its a common term to bind the same looking move with the motion to perform it, but calling sakura's a "Shunpukyaku" because you know it is just annoying as shit.  It actually really bothers me that in super they've reverted to using only proper move names and not allowing an on-the-fly swap back to commands, requiring a menu to see them.  "
    tatsu has two syllables, hurricane kick has four, This is why I say tatsu. Also sounds better. I don't call a shoryuken a DRAGON PUNCH either, SRK or DP are fine. 

@jakob187 said:
    " Is there a guide made for all of this on Giant Bomb at all?  Just curious, because if not, we should get on that. "
    Would have been done already, but guides are busted. Staff refutes the existence of these problems as well, it's annoying really.
    renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By renmckormack
    @lordofultima: I agree with your logic RE brevity  but DRAGON PUNCH sounds awesome.  Depending on what you need I suppose
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By demontium
    fragor87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fragor87

Awesome information guys.  I appreciate the help a ton. :-)

Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vade

Slightly more advanced. When listing combos, I've seen people use these for street fighter.  

>   = Link.
    xx = cancel 

Example:      c.lk c.lp > c.lk xx HK spiral arrow
                         c.lp c.lp > c.lk xx HP headbutt

Street Fighter has it easy though. Some fighting games have a lot more directional normals, double jumps, air dashes and so on. They usually use numerical (2 is down, 8 is up and so on) or graphical notation because there's way too many inputs and move names to handle.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.