Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Things I've learned playing SSF4 with the GB community

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

Edited By killroycantkill

Man that's a long blog title. Anyways, lately I have been playing a lot of SSF4 with people from the GB community using the great matchmaking thread that is on the SSF4 forums. I'm playing on the PS3 and it's really fun playing with people like Pessh, Thegoldencat, J_Las_Vegas, GetEveryone, etc. (Sorry if I didn't mention you) I've noticed a lot of things about my play, and just Street Fighter in general. I'm picking up a lot of tricks and I am learning a lot faster than I would be just getting frustrated at every person in ranked mode who sets it to lowest time and one round. 

The guys say I should main Akuma since I know some fancy combos with him but I prefer Abel mainly because when I get hit with a combo I don't lose half my health like with Akuma.

In list form, things I've learned. 

• Random Ultra 2 (Breathless) with Abel is a pretty viable option. It has super armour, it's a grab so it's unblockable, and it's cancellable. Though I really should stop doing random ultra.... Not good for my game at all.

• Remembering to roll into Falling Sky after a C.HP is a pain. I need to practise WAY more to make this a regular part of my game.

• COMBOS!!! As with the point above, I need more combos other than J.MK, C.MP, Full Change of Direction. That is good and all but as soon as I can make J.MK, C.MP, first change of direction, FADC, C.HP, Roll, Falling Sky a combo I actually remember to do.... watch out, crazy stun on that combo.

• Stop rolling! I still have this tendency to roll EVERYWHERE! *Guy is across screen* Roll my way over, crap I got grabbed out of it. While the roll is good for getting through fireball spammers I shouldn't be abusing it because it is easy to punish.

• Mashing is NEVER an option. Unless you're planning on just being Ken and never getting better, never mash. Mashing just leads to poor execution and then becoming like DSP and blaming internet lag for all your scrubbiness. If you're finding it hard to not mash, learning to "double tap" moves might be worth looking into.

• Match videos and community sites are a great source of knowledge. Now with the new replay system you can go in and watch your replays to find where you went wrong against a character. Also sites like Iplaywinner and Shoryuken are great if you want to know more about your character or just the community in general.

• Bisons Ultra 2 is a bitch. Seriously.... eff you Goldencat!

• Don't expect to win all the time. I had this problem in regular SF4 where I would practice a combo over and over until I had it down then think I am unstoppable. Only to be beaten by fireball Sagat’s or mashing Kens. Learning how to space and choosing when to attack are just as, if not more importable then having fancy combos. If you can't get in on your opponent to use them, what’s the point?

• People from the UK LOVE their tea. I can't tell you how many times I've seen "I split my tea" or "I ran out of biscuits" in the chat room.

I'm sure there are many more lessons learned but this blog is getting very long and I doubt people will read what is here anyways. I've had lots of fun playing with the community here (On the PS3) and I hope I continue to learn more tricks. Now it's back to being super Canadian and finishing this Kraft Dinner and finish watching the Keystone 2 scambats that are going on at Iplaywinner before sleeping.

killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By killroycantkill

Man that's a long blog title. Anyways, lately I have been playing a lot of SSF4 with people from the GB community using the great matchmaking thread that is on the SSF4 forums. I'm playing on the PS3 and it's really fun playing with people like Pessh, Thegoldencat, J_Las_Vegas, GetEveryone, etc. (Sorry if I didn't mention you) I've noticed a lot of things about my play, and just Street Fighter in general. I'm picking up a lot of tricks and I am learning a lot faster than I would be just getting frustrated at every person in ranked mode who sets it to lowest time and one round. 

The guys say I should main Akuma since I know some fancy combos with him but I prefer Abel mainly because when I get hit with a combo I don't lose half my health like with Akuma.

In list form, things I've learned. 

• Random Ultra 2 (Breathless) with Abel is a pretty viable option. It has super armour, it's a grab so it's unblockable, and it's cancellable. Though I really should stop doing random ultra.... Not good for my game at all.

• Remembering to roll into Falling Sky after a C.HP is a pain. I need to practise WAY more to make this a regular part of my game.

• COMBOS!!! As with the point above, I need more combos other than J.MK, C.MP, Full Change of Direction. That is good and all but as soon as I can make J.MK, C.MP, first change of direction, FADC, C.HP, Roll, Falling Sky a combo I actually remember to do.... watch out, crazy stun on that combo.

• Stop rolling! I still have this tendency to roll EVERYWHERE! *Guy is across screen* Roll my way over, crap I got grabbed out of it. While the roll is good for getting through fireball spammers I shouldn't be abusing it because it is easy to punish.

• Mashing is NEVER an option. Unless you're planning on just being Ken and never getting better, never mash. Mashing just leads to poor execution and then becoming like DSP and blaming internet lag for all your scrubbiness. If you're finding it hard to not mash, learning to "double tap" moves might be worth looking into.

• Match videos and community sites are a great source of knowledge. Now with the new replay system you can go in and watch your replays to find where you went wrong against a character. Also sites like Iplaywinner and Shoryuken are great if you want to know more about your character or just the community in general.

• Bisons Ultra 2 is a bitch. Seriously.... eff you Goldencat!

• Don't expect to win all the time. I had this problem in regular SF4 where I would practice a combo over and over until I had it down then think I am unstoppable. Only to be beaten by fireball Sagat’s or mashing Kens. Learning how to space and choosing when to attack are just as, if not more importable then having fancy combos. If you can't get in on your opponent to use them, what’s the point?

• People from the UK LOVE their tea. I can't tell you how many times I've seen "I split my tea" or "I ran out of biscuits" in the chat room.

I'm sure there are many more lessons learned but this blog is getting very long and I doubt people will read what is here anyways. I've had lots of fun playing with the community here (On the PS3) and I hope I continue to learn more tricks. Now it's back to being super Canadian and finishing this Kraft Dinner and finish watching the Keystone 2 scambats that are going on at Iplaywinner before sleeping.

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Plasma

What's wrong with loving tea and biscuits, It's not our fault they're delicious. 

Sh4ft3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Sh4ft3d

Lol at tea and biscuits.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By thegoldencat7

This was hilarious. How are we supposed to fight like gentlemen without afternoon tea.
    edmundus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By edmundus

I'm in pretty much the same position as you with trying to learn Abel, with the same problems encountered.
    Though I seem to get HIT by random ultras more than throw them out...I feel so stupid when I have a comfortable life lead in a match only to get wtfpwned because I get too aggressive on wakeup. Still, live and learn. 

When you say roll into FS after cr.HP, do you mean to say you just do cr.HP at the mo, or that you're just cancelling straight into FS without the roll?

If you fancy playing some matches sometime, add me on PSN: Edmundus 

I'm from the UK but I'm not overly into tea...more a milk lad myself. Biscuits own for sure.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thegoldencat7
    @Edmundus: 
    I'll add you. There should be another mahoosive EB tonight.The more the merrier. Better get some tea in though, sort that out.
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By AndrewJD

Brits Keepin' it classy. Dudley approves

No Caption Provided
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pessh

Crumpets are so good

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By lordofultima

The thing about Abel's ultra 2 is a serious understatement. That is one of the most godlike ultras in the game.

killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By killroycantkill
    @Edmundus:
    You can actually hit falling sky right after the last hit in C.HP if you're fast enough. The roll is mainly for gaining free extra meter. Also remeber when the opponent is on the wall doing a roll after C.HP will make you miss the falling sky.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

The one thing I've learn is 

• I'm just not intended for 2D fighting games :'( lol

Still, add me to this lil ps3 posse you've all got going on, I needz me some master trainage!
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pessh
    @Abyssfull: what's your psn?
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Yummylee
    @Pessh:  
    Yummylee 

..Yes I'm serious.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pessh
    @Abyssfull: Awesome, I'll add you next I'm on
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Abyssfull:  Thats name my name. Sweet!
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Stang

The Ken reference is not appreciated sir.

dieguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dieguy

I only thing I learned is that I suck. Seriously I have lost to everyone here and I not afraid to admit it.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Gabriel
    @Stang said:
    " The Ken reference is not appreciated sir. "
    The only thing I like about Ken is his kickass Street Fighter 2 theme. 

@Abyssfull said:

" The one thing I've learn is 

• I'm just not intended for 2D fighting games :'( lol

Still, add me to this lil ps3 posse you've all got going on, I needz me some master trainage!
    "
    Yes someone I can win against.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Yummylee
    @GetEveryone said:
    " @Abyssfull:  Thats name my name. Sweet! "
    Your names Lee? Or is your name in fact Yummylee ;P. They're both awesome, though one has a slight pinch of awesome over the other.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Abyssfull:  The first one, but I'm also constantly referred to as AwesomeLee.

...Comes with the territory. 

See you in the Endless Battle!
    yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By yates
    @Plasma said:
    " What's wrong with loving tea and biscuits, It's not our fault they're delicious.  "
    Nothing, that's what. Fuck the haters. I'm gonna go makes me some tea.
    PK_Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By PK_Koopa
    @Killroycantkill said:
     Mashing just leads to poor execution and then becoming like DSP and blaming internet lag for all your scrubbiness.
    lol.

Oh and this may shock you, but I come from the UK and I hate tea and love coffee.
    Yeah, I know, I'm a disgrace =(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.