Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Syberia

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 01, 2002

Kate Walker, a successful lawyer, travels to find Hans, the sole heir to a factory and eventually ends up on a journey to find him and the once thought to be extinct Mammoths.

Syberia- Major problem, Help please !!!

BawaTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By BawaTheGamer
    Ok. I recently purchased the original version of Syberia(not the collectors edition that contains both games) from a friend of mine because he dislikes adventure games and it was given to him as a gift . I saw the box lying amongst his collection and he told me how he hated it blah blah and so i eagerly bought it from him for 8$.. Now i was excited to get my hands on the game because ive recently been playing alot of adventure games and seeing the critical acclaim the game has got,plus i got it for cheap.

But now the game is giving me serious issues.Now before i had installed Syberia, i had some scummv games(full throttle, MI3) AND the 2 Broken Sword games installed on my pc and my pc was working perfectly. After installing Syberia and patching it(sp3), i started the game and i was able to see the intro video and was able to start a new game and everything worked fine. I decided to play the game later .

When i sat at my pc later that evening, I started Broken sword2 and i wasnt able to see the intro video,or the restore/newgame buttons. But i was able to hear everything. I even randomly clicked my mouse to restore my last save and i could hear everything,make the character move etc but the screen was completly blank/black.So i check my scummv game and when i launch scummv i cant seen the green tab with my game list. Thats completly blank too. So then i Start Syberia and i can hear the intro video and and music but the screen is completly blank.! But after pressin Esc 2 times the main menu for syberia appears partially.So i start a new game and everything works fine! But the moment i quit the game and start it again i cant see anything and have to Press ESC twice, wait for the menu screen to apear and it works. But no such luck for my other games. Completly unplayable.

Now im pretty sure all this has occured after installing syberia because ive never had this problem before ever, and had been playing BS 1 and 2 for weeks flawlessly.Assuming somthing is wrong i attempt to uninstall Syberia. Guess what ? It doesnt uninstall !!

The game goes through the motions of uninstalling (either by add/remove programs or via Syberia uninstall). popup displays asking if it's ok to remove all components as well as the application. i click ok---the uninstall goes from 0-100% and disappears. Normally with other games, i get a message that it has been successfully removed. This time i don't....Syberia is still in my program files directory. it still runs with the cd. the darn game just won't go away.

Now I was desperate because i still needed to complete BS2 and this dam game was screwing up my other games. So since im not too well versed with messing with the registry i decide to System Restore my pc back to the previous day.

Guess what? Everythings back to normal. All my games work perfectly.Full video and audio displayed.No syberia on my system. Problem is that the syberia folder is still there (1.2 gb) but its not showing up as installed on my pc(neither in start menu nor in add/remove) .So i happily get back to playing BS2 on sunday and completed it today. Now i really wanted to play the game ,so took a chance and installed it again. Everything goes smooth ,and am able to start the games(immediatly after install i can see the intro vid) and started a new game etc. So i quit the game and started it again. The same problem! Nothing visible-blank screen! Even scummv doesnt display anything.

Strange thing as far as I know,apart from these problems my pc seems to be working fine in other departments. Even once i get past the intro sequence and the menu loads the game works just fine. Problem is why is it happening? Its screwing up my other games And i cant uninstall it.ANy solutions to what i can/should do? Should i i just buy the Collectors edition which contains both games?Could it be starforce? But only syberia-2 is listed as having starforce. So i dont really know what is messing up my pc.its really frustrating especially since the game just rocks so far.

I also wanted to mention that my pc is rather old and its used mainly for playing all games before 2003. Im assuming this whole notorious copy-protection thing has been for games post 2005(spare my ignorance). The point is even if the games i own(see my game collection) had copy-protection or whatever its called, i havent noticed it and its never caused me any problems ever. This is the first time a game has literally messed up my pc(well NOLF was not letting me uninstall either but i finally manged it,plus it never messed up anything for my other games). I looked up starforce and alot of people seem to hate it. BUt Syberia isnt listed as having starforce, so i cant blame that.

PLus when Syberia does run it runs perfectly, no slowdowns,crashes(so-far atleast) or any of that nonsense. Its just black screening all my games . Its so weird yet so frustrating and ive looked up alot of places and found one forum board where a guy had a similar problem.http://forums.prophecy.co.za/f4/syberia-problem-5989/He has the exact same problem but his solution isnt really a solution .

Some guy for a solution in another board posted this
    "on my computer, the path to the key of the uninstall line for Syberia is the following:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurr entVersionUninstall{E34E9B33-46EC-4252-A52F-DDA3978CC0AF}"
    What does that mean and how do access that line? (Pardon my ignorance)Since im becoming desperate il be willing to mess with registry if some1 could give me a detailed method of doing so.ANy help would be thoroughly appreciated. Thanks.

BawaTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BawaTheGamer

Anyone?

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By VACkillers

i'll see if i can come up with something unless you've solved this issue already as i haven't been here at the boards for over a week

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By VACkillers

well first of all... I need your computer specs, cpu/graphics/ram ect... so i know what your working with pc wise...
    Second, do not touch that line... its part of the registry, which maybe related to syberia, but it might not and you go deleted stuff in windows registry bang! you've just lost your whole windows....
    Thirdly, do not install XP sevice pack 3, i've heard many rumours of it screwing up many things, not just games.
    Update your directx stuff or just do a plain reinstall if your using DirectX9c, just to make sure, sometimes some things are missing from the directx install or the runtime drivers can get currupt. Reinstall the latest drivers for your graphics card....either before or after you install syberia, and you mentioned that your syberia folder was still there after the system restore? after the system restore you should still be able to delete that folder manually as there will be no reference to it in the windows registry as your restoring the system to a point where that application hasn't been installed yet.
    Also, check your audio drivers, if your using an onboard driver, perhaps check to see if there are any newer drivers for it online....

suezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

hi i hope you can help me i recently installed syberia kate walker adventure on my windows 10 laptop i set composability to windows 7 the game starts to load then just stops i have tried everything to get it to work but nothing has worked

my pc spec are ;

Device name LAPTOP-KVKREEI3

Processor AMD Ryzen 3 2300U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.00 GHz

Installed RAM 4.00 GB (3.42 GB usable)

Device ID 465812BC-E7A9-48B5-A488-14609BC3BB64

Product ID 00325-81216-96643-AAOEM

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition Windows 10 Home

Version 20H2

Installed on ‎02/‎03/‎2021

OS build 19042.1110

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.