Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

The TF2 backstory, more than just random killings.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So incase you guys didn't know TF2 has an awesome backstory that I read up on recently thanks to the comics but I can't help but feeling as if I am missing parts of the story. Besides the comics and the "Meet the _____" videos, where is the rest of the backstory? (if there is more).

Also, what do you guys think about it?

Thanks.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By medacris

The comics and the parts of the overall events woven into it.  All of the in-character blog posts.

The Meet The... shorts weren't released in the order they were "filmed", I think. Meet The Sandvich happens before Meet The Medic (judging by the state of the fridge), but beyond that, I have no idea.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ajamafalous

It's pretty much just the comics, the hidden stuff in the update pages, and the in-character blog posts. If you want, there's probably a Story page somewhere on the official wiki.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Nephrahim

Yup, it's on the Wiki.  As I've never read any of the comics, I spent a while reading up on it, and it was pretty freaking fun.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By valrog

The story was made up as the Updates were being released.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BombKareshi
    @valrog said:
    So?
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By valrog
    @BombKareshi said:
    @valrog said:
    So?
    So nothing. I'm just saying that there wasn't always a story.
    JoeMarsden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JoeMarsden

There's a part of me that really that hates the whole 'story' thing they've tried to weave into Team Fortress 2. The fact that they made the announcer a character (the Administrator) as well as all that Saxton Hale stuff just seems...I don't know, forced? I don't know why it bothers me, but they could have just left it at dudes killing each other. A universe in which two sides are fighting each other with themselves shouldn't have that much story.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By fripplebubby
    @JoeMarsden: And how much does that story affect the game? On a scale of 1 to 10, i'm going to rate it a stop hating things just for the purpose of hating things
    medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By medacris
    @JoeMarsden: That's why it's not in the game proper. You can choose to ignore the story if you wish, or delve into it if it interests you.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By valrog
    @JoeMarsden said:
    There's a part of me that really that hates the whole 'story' thing they've tried to weave into Team Fortress 2. The fact that they made the announcer a character (the Administrator) as well as all that Saxton Hale stuff just seems...I don't know, forced? I don't know why it bothers me, but they could have just left it at dudes killing each other. A universe in which two sides have are fighting each other with themselves shouldn't have that much story.
    I agree. It's just strange having a story with characters that are basically identical only wearing different color clothing. I try not to think about it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@valrog: Actually they are slightly different like the Red Solider and the Blue Demoman get along but the Red Demoman and the Blue Soldier don't get along. Or it's the other way around. You know what the entire thing is crazy anyway.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Yanngc33

Ah man finally tf2 has a story, just what it's been missing

JoeMarsden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JoeMarsden
    @Fripplebubby: I'm not sitting here saying it affects the game in anyway, I enjoy it perfectly well. Put a shit load of time into that game and will continue to do so. I'm not hating things for the purpose of hating things, because that's dumb. I'm merely pointing out that it kinda bugs me, but I'll say it again because you obviously misinterpreted what I said somehow- I don't believe it affects the game in any way, I love the game...I just don't see the necessity behind it. Is that ok? Thanks.
    thespartandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By thespartandon

I love the personality that Valve has injected into the classes. The 'Meet the...' trailers are as good, if not better than many of todays modern animations, I could happily watch a TF2 TV show involving the classes.

But all this is backstory stuff with the 'Announcer' and 'Saxton Hale' etc. is kind of daunting. It seems unnecessary and from what I've seen (I've never read any of the comics so I may be wrong) but it seems to take itself too seriously. Trying to create a compelling story based on scenario with character archetypes killing each other over and over is destined to fail, even if Valve are the story tellers.

The phrase 'Less is More' seems to be appropriate when it comes to the story of TF2.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BombKareshi
    @TheSpartanDon said:

But all this is backstory stuff with the 'Announcer' and 'Saxton Hale' etc. is kind of daunting. It seems unnecessary and from what I've seen (I've never read any of the comics so I may be wrong) but it seems to take itself too seriously. Trying to create a compelling story based on scenario with character archetypes killing each other over and over is destined to fail, even if Valve are the story tellers.

I honestly don't think get the impression Valve is trying to make the story  "compelling", nor do I think it takes itself seriously at all (I mean, Abraham Lincoln as the original Pyro?). The're doing it for the laughs, and it adds a little extra flavour to the updates.
    Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#19  Edited By Mnemoidian

@TheSpartanDon said:

from what I've seen (I've never read any of the comics so I may be wrong) but it seems to take itself too seriously. Trying to create a compelling story based on scenario with character archetypes killing each other over and over is destined to fail, even if Valve are the story tellers.

Taking itself serious is not something I'd accuse TF2 of... http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/hidden/geographic_lumps/

I'd say it's more a matter of crazy/silly hijinx, like: http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=5244

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.