Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

Thoughts on becoming a better than average TF2 player

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Brians

Try Team Fortress 2 and you get better.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

What.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Mmmslash

Considering like, 3/4 of the community for that game are now people who have been playing less than a month and a half...

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By fripplebubby

Well I learned a lot from this, thanks. 

mementomori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mementomori

I'll still be better. So just give up

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By valrog
    @Fripplebubby said:
    Well I learned a lot from this, thanks. 
    Oh my, that post made my day.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman

I've tried it, but I haven't gotten better...

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By benjaebe

The best way to get better is to play Medic for a bit because you help the team just by staying alive and healing them and can observe what roles the other classes play.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SSully

Get better by realizing that the game isn't about just getting kills. A selfless player who plays for the better of the team can literally make the difference between a win and a loss.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By YI_Orange

@SSully said:

Get better by realizing that the game isn't about just getting kills. A selfless player who plays for the better of the team can literally make the difference between a win and a loss.

Take crockets to the face to protect the medics. Throw on a bonk energy drink and start distracting a turret. Backstab an engineer even if it gets you blown up. Stuff like that can make all the difference.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Get a time machine, play marathons of Team Fortress Classic, grow up playing it, then finally play TF2. You will be pretty good at the game.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Demoman.

Chargin' Targe, Eyelander,

Have fun.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @TaliciaDragonsong
    Demoman.

Have fun.
    He said better, not useless.
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CaptainObvious
    No Caption Provided
    Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Brians

Can we close this I had posted some thoughts about my experience two years ago, one year ago, then this year and realized I was being one of those assholes who bragged how good they are. And I hate those kind of people. I will say though my favorite current thing about TF2 is leveling up the rank on my Strange Natascha.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Snipzor
    @Mmmslash said:
    Considering like, 3/4 of the community for that game are now people who have been playing less than a month and a half...
    Essentially this... ahem... hey, I've totally got TF2 experience and I don't suck, don't put me in there with the rest of those F2P clowns! *grumble grumble*
    bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bicycleham
    @CaptainObvious said:
    No Caption Provided
    Oh God Yes.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dbz1995

Find a class you like.

Scout:

• Learn how to shoot people in the face. Obvious, yes, but more than necessary. Turn your sensitivity down if you have to-you want to get those big shots in. A lot of people recommend playing games like Quake III to get better with Scout.
    • Learn to keep moving. This is hard in tandem with the first point, but eventually you'll realise that moving around like a madman results in you getting hurt less most of the time.
    • Realise it's not about you. If you're playing Scout, get ready to fly into waves of opponents on your own just to give your teammates a few more seconds to get closer to the point or what have you. You will die more times than you will kill a lot of the time.
    Soldier:
    • Take down those turrets: Key for winning games. Those turrets can obliterate pushes onto points, and, as one of the characters who can destroy turrets, take them out!
    • Provide support: Pretty much every single Soldier set of weapons (barring the Direct Hit) can help the team in some way. Rockets aimed behind points where teammates will go might give them that 20 damage extra that they need. Spanking them with the Disciplinary Action may be the sole thing that results in capturing that one point. Things like that win games-most of the time, killing that demoman won't help as much.
    • Learm your stuff: A lot of soldier play revolves around particuiar choke points and how to get there. You have to learn your navigation routes to play soldier at the best levels.
    Pyro:
    • Protect and Serve: Pyro compression blasts deflect rockets and grenades and minicrits them back at the direction you shoot it. This means that Pyro is fantastic at protecting other classes (i.e MEDICS) from heavy fire. Use it and abuse it.
    • Don't forget your team: As the Pyro is a close-range class, you'll often want to move ahead of your team to try and get those kills in. The Pyro cannot kill turrets. The Pyro cannot beat most classes in a fair fight 1 on 1, let alone groups. You running into them is not the best thing to do. Have a Pyro buddy or something.
    • SPY CHECK. The most vital role for a Pyro is randomly spurting out fire at teammates or at empty space-if it's alight, it's probably an enemy spy. Watch your teammates backs.
    Demoman:
    • Watch what people are doing: You want to set up your sticky bomb traps in an area where not only enemies will come through, but also where your teammates will want kept in their position and possibly even as a last resort teammate retreat (after all, having your teammate sorely wounded is better than having him a mile away from the place he needs to be). Set up obvious sticky bomb traps to keep your opponents having to take a less desirable route.
    • Get that trajectory right: If you're playing Demoman, you have one of the strongest weapons in the game in the grenade launcher. If you get direct hits with it you average around 110 damage. Two hits with that should kill almost every class and most overhealed. So learn how the thing moves-to get maximum damage, you need it to hit them directly.
    • Plan ahead: The Demoman is unique as the main indirect combat character in the game. With that comes responsibility-thus, talk with your teammates as to what you'll be doing, and aid them in that way. Know that your teammates are going to lose the first point? Sticky trap an entrance for the enemy's next one. Know that your Medic needs some time to get his Ubercharge finished or a worthy teammate to Ubercharge upon? Set up a haven for him.
    Heavy:
    • Sponge those bullets: As a heavy, you have by far the most health, and prime Medic buddy. You can take more than a few hits, especially for the Medic. If you see Soldier bullets coming your way and your Medic is behind you, don't get out of the way so your Medic can be hit.
    • Rev up before getting directly into the fray: Revving up takes time, and that time can easily result in 150 or 200 damage losses. Rev up beforehand so you can instantly dish out death.
    • Get a Pocket Medic. (I don't play much Heavy)
    Engineer:
    • Build what the team needs: I've often seen Engineer build Sentries with teammates shouting out for Medic. Remember that Dispensers provide health and ammo for your teammates as well as your own scrap, so try and put them in places where teammates can readily access them. Get a Teleporter entrance going, and build Teleporter Exits on the fly at choke points, so you can win the distance battle to the point.
    • Get Shooting. Don't be afraid to take out your shotgun and your pistol and shoot guys in the face. The Engineer is not hopeless at fighting at all-he can take out Pyros quite easily on his own, for example. Just know when you can win your fights with him as well-it's better to maintain your gadgets than kill yourself fighting a soldier.
    • Inform your team: There are times when you've built a teleporter exit to the point, but your teammates aren't taking it because they don't know it's there. Make sure you tell your teammates.
    Medic:
    • Play the Leader: Your teammates need you the most out of anybody. Get your headset on and tell them what you guys have to do to win this. You are the most valuable. Make sure your teammates respect that and come to protect you.
    • Stay out of sight: When you can, try and stay close to walls away from your opponents attacking you, whilst healing your teammates. If a Heavy wants to go across the bridge in 2Fort, tell him that the underwater tunnel underneath doesn't have 4 soldiers and a Sniper waiting for you.
    • Keep healing. Often you'll want to do your job by shooting down your opponents. Often, however, it isn't worth it. Leave the shooting to your buddies and get your healing done.
    • A fourth point?: Make sure you keep a constant eye on your Ubercharging. If you're confident you can make the breakthrough at 95%, be ready to use it. There is nothing that causes more despair than seeing your friendly Soldier die a second after you got Ubercharge. Ubercharges save lives.
    Sniper:
    • Get your aim right. Non charged headshots do 150 damage. Charged Headshots do 450 damage. Charged bodyshots normally do 150 damage. You need to learn to shoot their face if you are playing Sniper, and there are plenty of servers that can help you out-bots running from one side to another can help you out a fair deal, for example.
    • Learn who to shoot when. By keeping charge into account and knowing how much health set people have, you can tell who'll die when you shoot them in the face and whether it's important. Shoot the Medic helping the enemy push and you probably just saved your team losing a point. Shoot the Scout in the head with an uncharged shot instead of the Soldier and you probably just stopped 15 seconds or pest control for your team.
    • Find good spots: By finding good spots that help your team, keep you hidden, and give you bad guys to shoot you will do a lot more than camping at your spawn, hoping that that one pyro you killed will come again.
    Spy:
    • You're still in a team: Due to the more stealthy approach the Spy often has to take, people often forget they're in a team when playing Spy. But thing is, the Spy plays far better helping the team for score anyway. Your opponents won't be seeing the backstab if your teammates are shooting him from the opposite side. You get less people looking around for a disguised teammate, and at the same time, you help teammates kill unwanted players via a quick backstab.
    • Don't forget your revolver: Your gun is still very good as a weapon, so don't forget if you need to chip off that bit more damage, or if you can't get to that Scout or Pyro, just shoot him.
    • Sap sap sap. Those turrets won't disable themselves, you know. Not just turrets though-disable everything you can.
    Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Thoseposers

I've found the more i play the more i enjoy swapping classes to whatever my team is lacking. That doesn't mean we always win but it has definitely broken the other team's defenses more than once and led to a victory.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By ajamafalous

@dbz1995 said: 

• Charged bodyshots normally do less than 200 damage.
    A fully charged bodyshot does 150. 

@dbz1995 said:
    • If you're playing Scout, get ready to fly into waves of opponents on your own just to give your teammates a few more seconds to get closer to the point or what have you. You will die more times than you will kill a lot of the time.
    ;)
    Mu5hy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mu5hy

spend more money.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tim_the_Corsair said:
    @TaliciaDragonsong
    Demoman.

Have fun.
    I can't help it if you suck with it, if you know what you're doing and you build up some HP with the collected heads you can be quite the killer.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ghostiet

Use more skill.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By TobbRobb
    @dbz1995: Good tips for anyone, kudos.
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @TaliciaDragonsong
    @Tim_the_Corsair said:
    @TaliciaDragonsong
    Demoman.

Have fun.
    I can't help it if you suck with it, if you know what you're doing and you build up some HP with the collected heads you can be quite the killer.
    Or you could use the armaments that make the class a demolition man, and actually be useful to your team instead.

Demoknight is a bit of a laugh, no question, and I do fine with it as that (cheers though), but it is inferior to the actual guns on offer in every single way.
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tim_the_Corsair said:
    @TaliciaDragonsong
    @Tim_the_Corsair said:
    @TaliciaDragonsong
    Demoman.

Have fun.
    Or you could use the armaments that make the class a demolition man, and actually be useful to your team instead. Demoknight is a bit of a laugh, no question, and I do fine with it as that (cheers though), but it is inferior to the actual guns on offer in every single way.
    If they wouldn't want ya to be something else, they wouldn't offer so many alternatives (the boots, shields, stats on melee weapons).
    My point here is that melee is quite easier to ease yourself into the madness of TF2, at least in my case I had loads of fun and you really get to get up and close with a (pretty) deadly weapon.

Honestly, if you're trying to get good and you know your aim could be better, relying on a grenade launcher (not as easy to aim as one would think) or a sticky launcher (think ahead, place mines with forethought, know the levels) when you're still trying to get good can be quite mood killing. 
    If you're a demoknight and you focus on the right classes, you can be quite handy, plus nothing teaches survival skills like bringing a sword to a minigun fight.
    ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By ShadowVirus

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By valrog
    @TaliciaDragonsong: How about starting with something like Heavy instead of Demoman?
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@valrog
    Best classes to start with is medic (get a feel for how others play as you heal them), Heavy (shoot stuff, win) or, in my opinion at least, Demoman with a melee weapon like Eyelander.
    Ricerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ricerx
    @ShadowVirus: This made me laugh pretty hard 
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Disagree regarding the melee, but I guess I get where you are coming from.

Personally, I recommend Medic > Heavy > Soldier > Demoman > Engineer > Sniper > Scout > Pyro > Spy as the order you should learn, based partially on difficulty but also on dependence on understanding other aspects of the game and the maps (Pyro is low not for difficulty, but for lack of reward for mastering the class).

Demoman indirect fire weapons really aren't that hard to learn and be effective with, especially the sticky launcher. Melee may be simple, but you're also gimping your growth potential.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.