Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Franchise »

They're the world's most fearsome fighting team. They're heroes in a half-shell and they're green.

Has anyone on here seen the new TMNT on Nickelodeon?

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

If so, how is it? I saw part of an episode when it first came on the air and being the stuck up fanboy of the original cartoon I automatically deemed it as shit and changed the channel. A little bit later though I saw some episode reviews and both critics and TMNT fans a like were singing praises for it. So what the shell? Is it any good?

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By uhtaree

Woah, just watched a clip of it. Looks pretty cool, might have to DVR me up some of them.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#3  Edited By MightyDuck

It's actually not too bad.

I also like that the guy that voiced Raphael in the 80's cartoon now does the voice of Donnatello for this new show. It's really not bad.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By DoctorWelch

I haven't seen it, but I even find it really hard to go back to some of the stuff from my own childhood, so I'd probably think it's shit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MightyDuck said:

I also like that the guy that voiced Raphael in the 80's cartoon now does the voice of Donnatello for this new show. It's really not bad.

Wow really? That's awesome.
    pepperzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pepperzz

In my opinion it's great. It has good style, very original CG, and most jokes are hits. My only gripe is that the plot is a little slow, but so far each episode has been entertaining.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nights

A new TMNT? I just checked it out and regardless of how good it is, I absolutely hate the art style.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By agentboolen

I've been DVRing it since it came on, just finished my 3rd episode earlier today. Its really a good TMNT show. I wasn't crazy on the design of the turtles at first but I'm really enjoying the anime expressions they have been throwing in there. The best part is they really seem to be capturing the attitude of the late 80's early 90's cartoons, its very action packed but at the same time has lots of comedy in it. I'd say you should check it out, its definitely feeling done correct to me....

My only complaint is they didn't make April look hot like back in the old cartoon, she's more of a young teen in this.

April O'neil
    April O'neil
    butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By butano

I've been enjoying it. April not being a hottie reporter is kinda my only complaint as well, but for the most part they really capture the earlier show's style, though the "social networking" episode was a little hard to watch without cringing how cheesy it was.

@Turtlebird95 said:

@MightyDuck said:

Wow really? That's awesome.

He voice Raphael back then too? Everytime I hear him speak I always remember him being Yakko and Pinky from Animaniacs/Pinky and the Brain. Crazy!

I guess my other complaint would be the anime quirkiness they've put into it, but for the most part it's a solid show!

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Funkydupe

Is it a remake of the old stories?

I don't want to mess with those, but if its a new spin on it I'll watch a few episodes.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By JasonR86

I don't even know what channel Nickelodeon is on my TV.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel

@Funkydupe: Yeah, it's another new spin, so it's not exactly like the original '80s cartoon or the one from the last decade.

@agentboolen said:

I've been DVRing it since it came on, just finished my 3rd episode earlier today. Its really a good TMNT show. I wasn't crazy on the design of the turtles at first but I'm really enjoying the anime expressions they have been throwing in there. The best part is they really seem to be capturing the attitude of the late 80's early 90's cartoons, its very action packed but at the same time has lots of comedy in it. I'd say you should check it out, its definitely feeling done correct to me....

My only complaint is they didn't make April look hot like back in the old cartoon, she's more of a young teen in this.

April O'neil
    April O'neil

There is no better April than a banana jumpsuit April.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agentboolen: Dammit. Old School Yellow Jumpsuit April would look so hot with that CG. I'm probably going to start watching it if I can find a legal location to do so.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By agentboolen

@Turtlebird95 said:

@agentboolen: Dammit. Old School Yellow Jumpsuit April would look so hot with that CG. I'm probably going to start watching it if I can find a legal location to do so.

Yea she'd probably look something like this.

No Caption Provided
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By GunstarRed

I've been watching it, it's ace. I really like their take on the turtles, the art is great and I love the way they mix CGI and 2D, the animation almost seems like stop-motion at times. It's funny, charming and although it is very clearly aimed at kids I don't find any of it cringeworthy like the terrible old cartoons. I love Splinter in the new show, he seems a lot more lighthearted than usual.

It might be the first incarnation of the turtles where I don't hate Raphael.

Also, I love the ninja run they all do with their arms behind them, it's a cool little touch.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Yea I like it, it's pretty good

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By penguindust
    April O'Neil - 2012 vs 1984
    April O'Neil - 2012 vs 1984

I've been watching it since it premiered and I really like it. I find it to currently be the best action cartoon airing. It's funny, well paced and plays to an audience above 10 as well as the kiddies. I know I've heard some gripes about April being a hacker-teenager who is now studying to be a "kunoichi", but to them I say April wasn't a reporter in the original comics anyway. She was a hacker and robotics engineer, so the 80's cartoon took some liberties, too.

Anyway, it's a good watch with some moments both touching and humorous. The best thing I can say is that the writing captures the individuality of each turtle without hamming it up. I've always thought the cartoon from the late 80's went too far in that direction. It was too kiddie for me coming off the comics back in the day.

I watch the new one every weekend provided I remember it's on (I have that trouble with all TV shows these days).

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By Sooperspy

According to the IMDB page for the show, Nolan North voices Kraang so that's awesome. I love me some Nolan North.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By GunstarRed

@Redbullet685: He was also Raphael in the movie from a few years back.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By buft

Watched the trailer on youtube, cant wait to watch an episode, if its good and my kids like it that would make my evenings a little more bearable than the current Disney rubbish they are watching

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By jakob187

@Redbullet685 said:

According to the IMDB page for the show, Nolan North voices Kraang so that's awesome. I love me some Nolan North.

This automatically makes this show way cooler than it deserves to be.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cannonballbam

@PenguinDust: I agree. It has been updated but has the same feel. I don't really care for the theme song though.

Off Topic -You should check out MotorCity. Mark Hamill is the antagonist, Abraham Kane.

manicraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By manicraider

I hate it. It's too silly and too anime-y. The 2003 series is still the best IMO.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just watched one of the newest episodes. Well the first five minutes. It's good, I like the voices, the CG style isn't terrible, and that theme song is fantastic. It's a good kids show.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess since this thread has been revived unexpectedly I should mention I ended up watching most of the first season. I liked it a lot. The humor was good, voices were fine, like @toowalrus said the theme song kicks ass, and unlike most shows that use CG I wasn't annoyed by it with this.

It is kind of weird how they changed some of the characters. Like how April is a kid and not a total babe anymore, but that's just my childhood talking. If you love TMNT it's worth watching I say.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

@turtlebird95: Well said. I set the DVR to record most of the episodes and I can honestly say it's not bad as a whole. It's interesting to see the way the re-imagined old characters like Leatherhead and Baxter Stockman.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Just came across the show on YouTube. It's actually not bad, I like the art style and the humour is great

http://youtu.be/UkxPqPkpWz4

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.