Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tekken Revolution

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jun 11, 2013

Tekken goes back to basics in this free-to-play spin-off of Tekken Tag Tournament 2, exclusive to the PlayStation 3.

New Trailer, Only 8 characters available at launch

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By recroulette

Crafted by NAMCO BANDAI Games' internal TEKKEN development team, TEKKEN REVOLUTION provides fighting game fans and newcomers alike the hard-hitting gameplay of the famed franchise. Choose from an initial cast of eight iconic TEKKEN characters to train and battle against AI opponents in Arcade Mode or take on fearsome human rivals spanning the globe through online Ranked and Player Matches. The game also features new bone-crunching Special Arts and Critical Arts moves designed to help newcomers deliver hard-hitting attacks and advanced players to employ new strategies with their favorite fighters. For the first time in TEKKEN history players will be able to level-up their characters, increasing three key attributes; Strength, Endurance and Vigor, to create a combatant tuned to individual play styles. Develop a defensive tank character with high HP to withstand knockout blows while offense focused players can create a damage-inflicting character with low health but high critical hit rates to devastate opponents with a flurry of attacks.

Having only eight characters at the start makes this seem more like a beta than an actual game. Good to see that there are actual new features in the game, interested to see how the stat boosting stuff turns out.

I guess if you don't play King, Paul, Lili, Marshall, Asuka, Steve, Lars, or Alisa. You can sit this one out for a while. There are more characters in the trailer, but no sign of whether you'll be able to unlock/buy them.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By lord_canti

so i can pay for Lili Asuka Paul and King and never have to see Lars's dam face on my select screen? sold

edit: wait is the initial 8 the ones that are free? can i pay to get rid of lars perhaps trade him for jin

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By connerthekewlkid

Well there had to be some reason it was free-to-play

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

"Don't let me down."

Come on Tekken 7!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Well Asuka is my favorite character so... I might pay for Anna but other than that apparently I'm set. Awesome! Can't wait to play this!

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Hunter5024

Honestly I don't see much of a point in this if it's just multiplayer with a super limited roster. I already have Tekken Tag 2 and Tekken 6. Although I will probably check it out anyways.

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By biggiedubs

Anyone got this yet? I'm writing a small thing on free-to-play fighting games, and wondering if anyone had any opinions on it.

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biggiedubs: Well it would kinda have to be out and available for people to have opinions on it. I wouldn't expect it to go live until this afternoon.

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stubbleman: I'm in the UK, and I don't really know when stuff goes live over in the US; but thanks anyway.

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By stubbleman
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@biggiedubs said:

Anyone got this yet? I'm writing a small thing on free-to-play fighting games, and wondering if anyone had any opinions on it.

Well....uh...I just downloaded it and I don't like what I see. Maybe I missed something, but it only has 3 modes (Aracde, Ranked, and Player) and you need tokens to play each of those modes. The tokens for arcade replenish every 60 minutes and the tokens for Ranked and Player replenish every 30 minutes. There seems to be a limited on how many "replenishing tokens" there are though. Like, they'll only replenish so much before they max out and the number seems somewhat low.

However, you can buy premium tickets for real money that let you play any mode. I forgot to check to see how much they actually cost, but so far, this seems kind of a shitty way to handle a f2p version of Tekken...

edit:

Here, I'll type it out as it appears in-game

Arcade Coins (Up to 2)
    These are used to play Arcade Battle.
    1 Arcade Coin is replenished every 60 minutes.

Battle Coins (Up to 5)
    These are used to play Ranked Match and Player Match.
    1 Battle Coin is replenished every 30 minutes.

Premium Tickets (Up to 999)
    These are used to play any mode in the game. Use these to play Arcade Battle to receive more rewards after the battle. If a Premium Ticket is used to play Ranked Match or Player Match and you win the battle, you'll receive a Premium Ticket as a reward. You will also receive more experience if the battle is lost.

Premium Coin (Up to 999)
    These are used in the same way as Premium Tickets.
    They can be purchased from the PlaystationStore.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@biggiedubs said:

Well....uh...I just downloaded it and I don't like what I see. Maybe I missed something, but it only has 3 modes (Aracde, Ranked, and Player) and you need tokens to play each of those modes. The tokens for arcade replenish every 60 minutes and the tokens for Ranked and Player replenish every 30 minutes. There seems to be a limited on how many "replenishing tokens" there are though. Like, they'll only replenish so much before they max out and the number seems somewhat low.

However, you can buy premium tickets for real money that let you play any mode. I forgot to check to see how much they actually cost, but so far, this seems kind of a shitty way to handle a f2p version of Tekken...

so you can only play once ever 30 minutes? That is useless then. TTT2 is still a good game at least.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biggiedubs said:

Maybe I missed something, but it only has 3 modes (Aracde, Ranked, and Player) and you need tokens to play each of those modes. The tokens for arcade replenish every 60 minutes and the tokens for Ranked and Player replenish every 30 minutes.

Alright, well, I had it in my download queue and now I've removed it.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Rafaelfc

move along people nothing to see here.

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The money model for this game just seems odd, basically paying to quarter up. I'd rather buy characters, and maybe unlock costume pieces like in six or something like that. I went in assuming the other characters would be fed in via microtransactions, and that I would just immediately buy up Xiaoyu and Leo, but I guess that's not a thing they're doing, at least not right now anyway. You would think they would have the other characters purchasable right off the bat. But hey, it's free, and I can play it with my friends so what evs.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I updated my other post with the details as they appear in-game.

As for pricing, 4 coins = 99 cents. 10 coins $2. 30 coins = $5.

I ran through arcade mode real quick and I think they gave me another ticket as a reward, I think I only had 1 before. I'm not sure, Regardless, this whole thing still seems very very shitty.

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By biggiedubs

@babychoochoo said:

@biggiedubs said:

so you can only play once ever 30 minutes? That is useless then. TTT2 is still a good game at least.

Wow, that seems...completely antithetical to what they were trying to do. Surely you would make Player mode completely free, (and preferably Ranked mode, but Player mode AT LEAST) so you could get players invested in the game enough to buy new characters. AND so you can see all the other sweet characters you're missing out on by not buying them. And restricting Arcade just sounds pointless to me.

I've been reading up on the new DOA game, which seems to be doing it the way I've just mentioned (yeah, I give up, I stole it from them), which seems like the smart way to go, but this sounds way too constrictive.

Thanks, guys, by the way.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biggiedubs said:

edit:

Here, I'll type it out as it appears in-game

Arcade Coins (Up to 2)

These are used to play Arcade Battle.

1 Arcade Coin is replenished every 60 minutes.

Battle Coins (Up to 5)

These are used to play Ranked Match and Player Match.

1 Battle Coin is replenished every 30 minutes.

Premium Tickets (Up to 999)

These are used to play any mode in the game. Use these to play Arcade Battle to receive more rewards after the battle. If a Premium Ticket is used to play Ranked Match or Player Match and you win the battle, you'll receive a Premium Ticket as a reward. You will also receive more experience if the battle is lost.

Premium Coin (Up to 999)

These are used in the same way as Premium Tickets.

They can be purchased from the PlaystationStore.

If this is true (and why wouldn't it be?) then I definitely won't be sticking with this game for long, if I even let the download finish. Guess it may be a decent way to see if I want to buy Tekken Tag 2 or SFxT?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davidwitten22: Honestly, after this, TTT2 at any price is such a great freaking deal.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seemed like a really good idea, until the tokens popped up. No training mode either is kind of a bummer. That's always where I spend most of my time playing. Thanks for explaining it @babychoochoo.

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm baffled that they chose to do it that way and it seems a little unfair and money grubbing. Back to TTT2 then.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petiew said:

This seemed like a really good idea, until the tokens popped up. No training mode either is kind of a bummer. That's always where I spend most of my time playing. Thanks for explaining it @babychoochoo.

No problem. I was looking to see if it maybe wasn't as bad as I may it sounds lol and found this nice Event Hubs write-up. Apparently, you get put into training mode automatically when you queue for ranked.

Also, it seems as if you may be able to unlock characters over time with in-game currency which is cool I guess. I dunno, personally I'd rather pay for characters and have unlimited matches to play. That seems less restrictive in my opinion. Sell characters for like $3-5 a pop at max. Do a couple of character bundles and sell them at a discounted price. Sell some costumes maybe. I dunno, just anything other than what they're doing right now...

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I play 4 of 8 characters, so wooooooo. :D

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Weird... I was hyped for this too. But that seems less than stellar. Hmm... already downloaded and installed it so I'll attempt to play it once I suppose.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is it like a coin-op? Trying to bring back the idea of getting ripped off at an arcade without the arcade culture?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.