Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tera

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jan 25, 2011

TERA: The Exiled Realm of Arborea is a free-to-play, action-style MMORPG, developed by Bluehole Studios in South Korea using Unreal Engine 3. It was localized for English audiences by En Masse Entertainment of Seattle.

First of the Next-Gen MMORPG?

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Alphiehyr

Despite the seldom reception in western markets,  I personally see this game as the first next-gen MMORPG due to it's beautiful graphics rendered from the Unreal Engine 3 and it's unique battle-system that incorporates a free-range attack style - does not require target lock-on/clicking when attacking. Apropos, it'll perhaps garner the much deserved contemplation of attention.

Noted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Noted

Hmm.. Googled a bit and watched a few videos. Definently interested.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Yukoei

Aion.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By FirePrince

APB.And Tera looks cool.If it ever launches in my lifetime.
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sjupp
    @Yukoei said:
    " Aion. "
    Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Brenderous
    @Sjupp said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    " Aion. "
    "
    I played Aion for a few months. Tera definitely looks A LOT like it. So far the gameplay seems different and interviews with certain people on the project seem to suggest their aim for Tera is to be LESS grindy. Which is a plus for me 'cause that's why I left Aion.
    Here's Hopin'
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Geno

The free range combat certainly interests me. It's just going to be difficult to factor in lag. 

warpedzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By warpedzappa

Personally, I feel 'The Secret World' from Funcom has a nice next gen feel to it. 

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sjupp

Oh god, one month bump. No wonder I didn't recognize having said something like that.
    Tenshin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Tenshin
    @Geno:  Didn't seem to hurt PSO or PSU, as the workload (what the mob is doing) was shared between client machines and the server. It was always a bit weird that I would damage a mob right in front of me but in my brother's screen I was just slashing away at nothing. :P But it did it's job and was preferable to lag.
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sjupp

I really dislike all these asian hi-fantasy themed MMORPGS.. All the western ones are often way too gritty.

I want to play wow badly.. *cries*

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Early tester reports have said, spoiler alert: this is pretty much like any other MMO. They said the action is a nice change, but it's still "go here and kill 5 super goats." These were early opinions for the U.S. version so I don't really know how to take them, but considering the Korean version is set to launch this year, those reports don't make me feel to good. En Masse has said they want to tweak it for U.S. audiences, but NCSoft said the same thing about Aion a while back and look how that turned out...

There are 2 other major issues I have with this game. The first, and main one, being the graphics. If the system requirements get out of control then they're already off to a bad start. The second issue being just how much they're using sex to sell this game. I love some tig 'ol naked elf bitties as much as the next guy, but in 99% of the articles you seen for this game, the majority of the accompanying screenshots consist of exactly that. Half-naked elf chicks. I'm like "that's nice...but um...got anything else to show me?"

After APB shot itself in the face, FFXIV announced those crack-high system requirements, DCUO looking like it can go either way, and Star Trek online warped itself into the bargain bin; I'm dying to play an MMO that doesn't suck.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Ineedaname

That game only use the U3, the graphic demands won't be that high surely.

And Star Wars always gives hope.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It's definitely a good-looking game but so many MMOs have claimed to be a revolution to the MMO genre or to be "eliminating the grind", it's going to take a lot of evidence to convince me that any one upcoming game is doing that.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @Ineedaname said:
    " That game only use the U3, the graphic demands won't be that high surely.  And Star Wars always gives hope. "
    Ok, that's a nice sigh of relief. I didn't know this game was using the U3 engine so that's one of my worries gone. Now let's pray the grind is well-hidden if not gone entirely lol.
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zityz

Looks good. That said, I'm still going to hold out for Guild Wars 2. Everything about that game looks awesome.
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ISuperGamerI

It looks neat but is there a equipment system cause all of the players had the exact same armor for some reason. I laughed at the ending of that trailer lol.

EDIT: It reminds me a bit of Phantasy Star Online.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jkz
    @zityz said:
    " Looks good. That said, I'm still going to hold out for Guild Wars 2. Everything about that game looks awesome. "
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Wooo bikini armor!

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By raiz265
    bumpidy bump 

@PrimeSynergy said:
    " @Ineedaname said:
    " That game only use the U3, the graphic demands won't be that high surely.  And Star Wars always gives hope. "
    Ok, that's a nice sigh of relief. I didn't know this game was using the U3 engine so that's one of my worries gone. Now let's pray the grind is well-hidden if not gone entirely lol. "
    Game has been released in Korea this week, first guy hit the level cap after 2 days or something... From what I've read the "grind" is definately managable and there are enough quests "to level to max twice". It also seems to be heavily story while during leveling, with cutscenes and all that stuff. So it's probably nowhere near Aion in that regard (didn't play aion retail myself but afaik it turned out to be a masive grind compared to WoW... ok, wow is pretty "casual" in that anyway i guess)... 

I'm currently thinking about somehow getting a account for the korean servers if there is some sort of english patch/mod for the client 

The EU/NA version is going to be released at some point later this year, a date has not been announced yet. Also the EU/NA version are going to be "westernized" or something by western developers, so they might get rid of some of the boobage, no idea...  

it's rated 18 in korea btw, but i don't know whether it's due to all the titty-elfs or something else
    trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By trylks

@BabyChooChoo said:

I love some tig 'ol naked elf bitties as much as the next guy, but in 99% of the articles you seen for this game, the majority of the accompanying screenshots consist of exactly that. Half-naked elf chicks. I'm like "that's nice...but um...got anything else to show me?"

It's sad that something that could be a nice feature in good games is only a way to make less bad games that are usually horrible.

I guess we'll always have mods. But it's still sad.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ravenlight

Unreal Engine 3 != Next-Gen

Semantics and software aside, Tera actually looks pretty cool.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By project343

ArcheAge?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.