Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Terraria

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released May 16, 2011

The first major 2D entry into the world of "open world" sandbox action-adventure games, Terraria is inspired by 16-bit platformers and allows players to mine for ores, craft new equipment, and fight monstrous bosses in a large procedurally-generated world.

6 hours into Terraria

feigr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By feigr

I thought I'd check back in with how my adventures in Terraria are going so far. After 6 hours of playing I've had the chance to explore quite a bit of the world and I've found several deep caves with lots of ore and pots and monsters. 
    Unfortunately I did not know that you needed a hammer to break the heart containers so I've ran by quite a few of them before making myself a hammer. 
    What I've been focusing on mostly is collecting stone and making grey bricks so that I have lots of material to build a big house/castle. I also today learned that you need to build houses for merchants so that they will move in and you can buy stuff from them (this was mentioned in the Quick Look but I forgot). 

My house
     My house
    The way I have my house set up right now doesn't really give me much space and I will probably take this character into a fresh new world and find a more suitable place to build a big settlement. 
    I have managed to find some dungeons, one of them had pink bricks all over the place and when I ventured down a bit into it a huge flying skull came by and hit me for 9900+ damage, so that place will have to wait until later! I also found a jungle area, but it had big teethy clawy things that killed me. 

My stuff!
     My stuff!
    All in all it's been fun. The game is very relaxing to play most of the time, with the occasional monster encounter to keep you on your toes. I can see myself spending a lot of time fiddling around in the worlds of Terraria. Next goal for me right now is to get more iron and other metals, so I can craft better gear and weapons because the monsters in the dungeons are too much for me to handle right now. I should probably also go back and try to find some of the heart containers that I ran past early on in the game before I had a hammer.
    feigr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By feigr

I thought I'd check back in with how my adventures in Terraria are going so far. After 6 hours of playing I've had the chance to explore quite a bit of the world and I've found several deep caves with lots of ore and pots and monsters. 
    Unfortunately I did not know that you needed a hammer to break the heart containers so I've ran by quite a few of them before making myself a hammer. 
    What I've been focusing on mostly is collecting stone and making grey bricks so that I have lots of material to build a big house/castle. I also today learned that you need to build houses for merchants so that they will move in and you can buy stuff from them (this was mentioned in the Quick Look but I forgot). 

My house
     My house
    The way I have my house set up right now doesn't really give me much space and I will probably take this character into a fresh new world and find a more suitable place to build a big settlement. 
    I have managed to find some dungeons, one of them had pink bricks all over the place and when I ventured down a bit into it a huge flying skull came by and hit me for 9900+ damage, so that place will have to wait until later! I also found a jungle area, but it had big teethy clawy things that killed me. 

My stuff!
     My stuff!
    All in all it's been fun. The game is very relaxing to play most of the time, with the occasional monster encounter to keep you on your toes. I can see myself spending a lot of time fiddling around in the worlds of Terraria. Next goal for me right now is to get more iron and other metals, so I can craft better gear and weapons because the monsters in the dungeons are too much for me to handle right now. I should probably also go back and try to find some of the heart containers that I ran past early on in the game before I had a hammer.
    Jon_Danger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Jon_Danger

Make a bigger house with closed off doors and multiple floors and start getting NPCs to show up.

Amerist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Amerist

Can houses/structures be built atop cave entrances? I've seen doors and the like, but only those that open horizontally. I think it would be amusing to generate basically mine-entrance airlocks. 

Also, I haven't seen if the game has ladders/ropes. Since most of it appears to revolve around jumping, it might be useful to make some sort of stairs to go up/down into particularly deep shafts. But I suppose that's only useful if a shaft gets visited repeatedly (more than three times I guess) in any given game. ξ

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Sayishere

i suggest getting a gold sword as soon as possible, makes killing those weaker mobs a cake walk :D

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Adamsons
    @Amerist said:
    Can houses/structures be built atop cave entrances? I've seen doors and the like, but only those that open horizontally. I think it would be amusing to generate basically mine-entrance airlocks.  Also, I haven't seen if the game has ladders/ropes. Since most of it appears to revolve around jumping, it might be useful to make some sort of stairs to go up/down into particularly deep shafts. But I suppose that's only useful if a shaft gets visited repeatedly (more than three times I guess) in any given game. ξ
    The only doors available at the moment open horizontally, and you can make ladders by building a series of wooden platforms.

Its pretty common to make shafts that descend straight down to the bottom of the map (into the underworld) for quick access to the current end game materials. There are a few ways you can negate the massive fall damage you would otherwise take - a small body of water / net of cobwebs or just using items that make you invulnerable to falling damage works.
    FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FourWude

Can you build a Metroidvania world within Terraria?

Would that work?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Barrock

Just started this after the Quick Look. Quick question, is the starting NPC supposed to move into my house? 'Cause he's just hanging out outside. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho

You can put doors anywhere as long as their floor and ceiling are spaced right. I got little doors all over my caves. 
    I totally built and enclosed space high in the air, like an air hallway over the trees, so I can just run over to the alien looking area without dealing with any enemies or bumpy terrain. So I think in the future, the "main game" is just going to be something that exists, the legs on this game come from the shit people make in their worlds and share. I think there should be an option where you share a map but other people can't permanently change it. That way you could make structured levels where chests have items and shit in them for everybody.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By mikemcn

I have like 18 rooms in my stupid house, NPCs refused to move into most of them despite the fact they fit the criteria of a house. But now I have everyone so its ok.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.