Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Terraria

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released May 16, 2011

The first major 2D entry into the world of "open world" sandbox action-adventure games, Terraria is inspired by 16-bit platformers and allows players to mine for ores, craft new equipment, and fight monstrous bosses in a large procedurally-generated world.

Aside from 2D, what's different from Minecraft?

kamolahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By kamolahy

I'm interested, but on internship in NY and don't have my PC here for the summer. What are the lot of differences from Minecraft aside from the obvious 2d-ness of the game??

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#2  Edited By Brackynews
    @kamolahy
    Did you watch the quick look? Will does a good job answering those questions. :)
    Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Darkstar614

There's a lot more stuff to do that isn't just building things. There are bosses, and a dungeon and other areas with unique items/weapons. But yeah, quick look probably showcases this stuff better.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#4  Edited By Brackynews

And to not make it like I was trying to be flip about it, while watching the QL I allowed myself a few precious moments of nostalgia for Legacy of the Wizard. Which is a game that should be cribbed more from.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Kyle

A small but important difference is that your tools dont break and you dont need to memorize crafting recipes. 

Also, you can set up empty houses and NPCs will move in.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By LordXavierBritish

The combat is actually fun and worthwhile and the items are cool instead of being useless.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#7  Edited By vigorousjammer

The game is much more focused around combat and exploring caves instead of building things.

In fact, not to get too judgmental here but, I'd say Minecraft has a better building system.

Of course, Terraria has better combat, a wider selection of enemies, BETTER enemies, more loot, armor sets, cool & interesting weapons, realistic water physics, NPCs that you can get to move into your town, boss battles, your weapons & tools don't break, and it has a more streamlined crafting system.

I kind of wish Minecraft would pick some of this stuff up, cause it's REALLY cool, and it'd be much more fun if I could build in a 3D space while fighting off demon eyes & stuff

Jon_Danger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Jon_Danger

Really a completely different game.  Sure there is some building an exploration, but Terraria plays more like an Action RPG, grinding mobs for loot, finding chests, upgrading gear, leveling up your health/mana.

KailenWolfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By KailenWolfe
    @kamolahy said:
    I'm interested, but on internship in NY and don't have my PC here for the summer. What are the lot of differences from Minecraft aside from the obvious 2d-ness of the game??
    Pretty much everything.  
    dorimajmun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By dorimajmun

Game is more fun, but has less to explore. Lot more content though.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Selftest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Selftest

After a few  hours of gameplay, the differences are pretty apparent. Building is not the focus, though you can make some cool stuff, and building houses can be fun to build. Having a cool little "town" that your NPCs can live in (Merchant, Arms Dealer, Guide, Dryad, Demolitions guy, Nurse) adds a fun aspect to the game. 

I've found myself doing a LOT of caving. Having the ability to sort of see what's around you (still obsturcted by darkness where there is no light) is sort of cool. The armor and tools and weapons are fun to learn how to make. Plus, you can visit Hell, if you'd like (you will!) 
    There are bosses, tons of mobs, cool loot, floating islands, Blood Moon zombie invasions... I like it more than minecraft, personally.
    swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By swamplord666

I feel almost bad for saying this but i do prefer it to minecraft as well really... I just hope notch will add some kind of objective or something to minecraft beyond just building things...

Vlaphor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Vlaphor

Well, see Minecraft is fun...

mamaluigi32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mamaluigi32

Well, your not really collecting things for building and stuff like that. Also, it is a lot more combat based.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Barrock

You actually have an objective. There are actual bosses. It looks a whole lot better.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Sayishere

Terraria gets stale when you have all the items and have done everything. Wheras with Minecraft, if you have the imaginative juices flowing, can last you a very long time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.