So Will Smith said Minecraft has become a genre.

#1 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2490 posts) -

and here's what I propose we call it...

"survival creationism"

whaddaya guys think?

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Fortresscraft is the only other game like it that I know of. And thats just a massive rip off

#3 Posted by Surkov (992 posts) -

I call it a waste of time. 

#4 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Videogames genres are a bit fucked, anyway. I don't think it matters much at this point.

#5 Posted by 1337W422102 (1009 posts) -
@Surkov said:
Cool story, bro.
#6 Posted by Agent47 (1894 posts) -
@Vigorousjammer: For a second there for a SECOND I thought you meant Will Smith as in A hollywoodstar actor Will Smith, but then I remembered Ginger Will Smith.
#7 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2490 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
Fortresscraft is the only other game like it that I know of. And thats just a massive rip off
Fortresscraft, Miner dig deep, Terraria.
Not to mention both Dwarf Fortress and Infiniminer.  Minecraft was initially inspired by both of them.
#8 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -
@Surkov said:
Just like our hobby we call playing video games.
#9 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Vigorousjammer said:
and here's what I propose we call it...  "survival creationism"  whaddaya guys think?
No no.  Pixels for Jesus.  That's what it should be called.
#10 Posted by Mikular (161 posts) -

@Vigorousjammer I think that's a great name for it. Is there a concept page that groups all this stuff already?

#11 Posted by Sedasys (149 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
@Vigorousjammer said:
and here's what I propose we call it...  "survival creationism"  whaddaya guys think?
No no.  Pixels for Jesus.  That's what it should be called.
Pixels for Jesus takes my vote.
#12 Edited by Vigorousjammer (2490 posts) -
@Mikular said:

@Vigorousjammer I think that's a great name for it. Is there a concept page that groups all this stuff already?

I don't believe so.

edit: now there is
#13 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -
@Napalm said:
Videogames genres are a bit fucked, anyway. I don't think it matters much at this point.
^This 

Your "RPG" is NOT a fucking RPG!!!!
#14 Posted by Brackynews (4056 posts) -
@Vigorousjammer: I betcha that page lands in the Delete & Combine forum within 2 months. ;)
If I'm wrong I owe you a beer.
#15 Posted by MB (12197 posts) -

Deleted...you can't just create a concept in lieu of a genre page and lump games into it. If there is going to be a new genre, that is a staff decision.

#16 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -
@Agent47 said:
@Vigorousjammer: For a second there for a SECOND I thought you meant Will Smith as in A hollywoodstar actor Will Smith, but then I remembered Ginger Will Smith.
He's not a ginger if he doesn't have freckles. 
#17 Posted by Metalman781 (87 posts) -
@Agent47: Ginger Will Smith.... hahahhaha that makes me lol
#18 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -
@Coombs said:
@Napalm said:
^This  Your "RPG" is NOT a fucking RPG!!!!
I was gonna say something along these lines, but now I don't need to. 

This.  
#19 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I think Will Smith doesn't know the difference between a genre and a trend. Just because Angry Birds has a hundred clones now doesn't mean its a genre in itself. Its still a puzzle game. Plenty of games are aimless, have no definitive end, and involve resource gathering. Most sims, for example.  And Terraria, specifically (less Minecraft) has a very distinct Roguelike vibe to it.

#20 Edited by arca (134 posts) -

I agree he doesn't understand the difference.  

Besides it is a mix of genres that has been going around for a while although minecraft has increased it's popularity. It's simply a sandbox game with enemies.  
It was originally inspired by Dwarf fortress & infiniminer but it is still the sandbox genre, the whole reason you play is to build stuff. If you removed that part the game would have no content. 
There are many popular games that are similar but minecraft is done in a more fantasy style era with pixelated graphics, more people can play it on older computers and it reaches a very wide audience. 

I'm a big fan of minecraft, I have an alpha account and have been playing since 'release' but I'm not a massive fan of notch and how people see him as the second coming of god.  
Wonder how long it will take before somebody disagrees / defends their favourite tech journalist and developer.

#21 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

@100_Hertz said:

@Coombs said:
@Napalm said:
^This Your "RPG" is NOT a fucking RPG!!!!
I was gonna say something along these lines, but now I don't need to. This.

But dude, my sword does poison damage-- TOTALLY AN RPG!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.