Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

This might be a dumb question.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By BraveToaster

I've had this game since launch and I never thought about this until today. 

There is Dwarven Armor/Weaponry throughout the world, but where are the Dwarves?  

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jimbo

They're just short people dude, don't be so insensitive.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60
    @Axxol: They went extinct. 
    TheGodPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TheGodPoet
    @Axxol said:

" I've had this game since launch and I never thought about this until today.  There is Dwarven Armor/Weaponry throughout the world, but where are the Dwarves?   "

Well obviously......shit I've never thought about that before either.  

According to the elder scrolls wiki Dwarven refers to all things of Dwemer origin and Dwemer means Deep Elves soooooo I'll make the assumption that Dwemer which means Dwarves refers to the elves but to be honest idk. 
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BraveToaster
    @CL60 said:
    " @Axxol: They went extinct.  "
    Do you have a source? Just curious.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CL60
    @Axxol said:

" @CL60 said:

Do you have a source? Just curious. "
    Morrowind. There is a dwarf in it known as the last living dwarf and he's all bloated and has a disease. 
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By Cincaid
    @CL60 said:
    " @Axxol said:

" @CL60 said:

Morrowind. There is a dwarf in it known as the last living dwarf and he's all bloated and has a disease.  "
    That bit totally bummed me out. I like dwarves. :(
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BraveToaster
    @CL60 said:
    " @Axxol said:

" @CL60 said:

Morrowind. There is a dwarf in it known as the last living dwarf and he's all bloated and has a disease.  "
    How did the rest of the Dwarves die?
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CL60
    @Axxol said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Axxol said:

" @CL60 said:

How did the rest of the Dwarves die? "
    I don't think we know. If you ask the last living dwarf he just gives you a few theories.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By FancySoapsMan

All the dwarven mines in morrowind are abandoned. If I remember correctly, it's because they all just integrated into the other races of the elder scrolls universe. They didn't actually die.

I might have just made that up though.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CL60
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " All the dwarven mines in morrowind are abandoned. If I remember correctly, it's because they all just integrated into the other races of the elder scrolls universe. They didn't actually die.  I might have just made that up though. "
    That is possibly one of the theories that the dwarf tells you. I don't remember what he says.
    Avatar image for thecreamfilling
    TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheCreamFilling

They were heathens and destroyed by the gods for defying them and relying on technology instead. 

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    @TheCreamFilling said:
    " They were heathens and destroyed by the gods for defying them and relying on technology instead.  "
    Sounds like the Old Testament God had a hand in that...
    Lucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lucifer

They're so short that you can't see them.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By FreakAche

All these Oblivion kiddies need to go out and play Morrowind. I only kid. But, you should play Morrowind, because it's awesome!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CL60
    @FreakAche said:
    " All these Oblivion kiddies need to go out and play Morrowind. I only kid. But, you should play Morrowind, because it's awesome! "
    Most people who've never played Morrowind and absolutely love Oblivion probably wont even like Morrowind that much. Especially the kiddies!
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Axxol said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Axxol said:

" @CL60 said:

How did the rest of the Dwarves die? "

Oh ho ho! I think the dwarves created all this technology and shit and then that was
     Oh ho ho! I think the dwarves created all this technology and shit and then that was "defying the gods" and then they died out....
    izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By izzygraze
    @Axxol said:
    " I've had this game since launch and I never thought about this until today.  There is Dwarven Armor/Weaponry throughout the world, but where are the Dwarves?   "

Totally blew my mind and I've played a fair amount of Oblivion. I guess I've always assumed that the dwarves were just not in the borders of the game but outside of the land that Oblivion was based in. I forget the name twarli...*garglegargle*. Outside that place.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Origina1Penguin

The Dwemer inexplicably disappeared during the Battle of Red Mountain, during the War of the First Council. The Tonal Architect Lord Kagrenac constructed Kagrenac's Tools to harness the powers of the Heart of Lorkhan. His aims remain unclear, but it is believed he sought to heighten his race to Anumidum. The disappearance of a whole race in a flash sparked many theories, but is thought to have followed this attempt to use the tools on the heart, to make a superweapon, or to make their race immortal,  , and simply coincided  with the war. It appears that the Dwemer were inconclusive as to their opinion of using of the Heart. Some, including Bthuand Mzahnch, opposed its use, warning that massive side effects were likely, while the majority of the Tonal Architects, including their chief, Kagrenac, remained unconvinced.

Even Yagrum Bagarn, "the last living Dwarf" (whose existence is owed to the fact that he was in the “Outer Realms” when the event occurred), has no explanation as to what actually transpired. It appears all members of the Dwemer race were simply removed from the world, possibly to an unknown location in the outer realms. In the Dwemer ruins of Bamz-Amschend in Mournhold, Morrowind, there are numerous piles of ashes present next to weapons and armor, on chairs, and in beds. This suggests their physical presences were suddenly reduced to ash in some way.

A theory also exists that their sudden extinction was caused by their reversal of the usual processes involved in the Earth Bones, the laws of nature. Rather than creating profane by commanding the sacred, such as in Conjuration magicks or Daedra worship, they sought to create Anumidium, their own sacred, from the "deaths of the profane."

Vivec, the warrior-poet god of the Dunmer, similarly believes that the disappearance of the Dwemer is in some way owed to their "divine sin" - attempting to create a god for their own purposes from the remains of the godLorkhan. Whether their use of Kagrenac's Tools in this process or simply their intentions resulted in their extinction remains unclear in this theory.

Source
    MXC361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By MXC361
    @Origina1Penguin said:
    "

The Dwemer inexplicably disappeared during the Battle of Red Mountain, during the War of the First Council. The Tonal Architect Lord Kagrenac constructed Kagrenac's Tools to harness the powers of the Heart of Lorkhan. His aims remain unclear, but it is believed he sought to heighten his race to Anumidum. The disappearance of a whole race in a flash sparked many theories, but is thought to have followed this attempt to use the tools on the heart, to make a superweapon, or to make their race immortal,  , and simply coincided  with the war. It appears that the Dwemer were inconclusive as to their opinion of using of the Heart. Some, including Bthuand Mzahnch, opposed its use, warning that massive side effects were likely, while the majority of the Tonal Architects, including their chief, Kagrenac, remained unconvinced.

Even Yagrum Bagarn, "the last living Dwarf" (whose existence is owed to the fact that he was in the “Outer Realms” when the event occurred), has no explanation as to what actually transpired. It appears all members of the Dwemer race were simply removed from the world, possibly to an unknown location in the outer realms. In the Dwemer ruins of Bamz-Amschend in Mournhold, Morrowind, there are numerous piles of ashes present next to weapons and armor, on chairs, and in beds. This suggests their physical presences were suddenly reduced to ash in some way.

A theory also exists that their sudden extinction was caused by their reversal of the usual processes involved in the Earth Bones, the laws of nature. Rather than creating profane by commanding the sacred, such as in Conjuration magicks or Daedra worship, they sought to create Anumidium, their own sacred, from the "deaths of the profane."

Vivec, the warrior-poet god of the Dunmer, similarly believes that the disappearance of the Dwemer is in some way owed to their "divine sin" - attempting to create a god for their own purposes from the remains of the godLorkhan. Whether their use of Kagrenac's Tools in this process or simply their intentions resulted in their extinction remains unclear in this theory.

Source "

I've always liked Morrowind's storyline. It's far more interesting than Oblivion's.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By warxsnake
    @MXC361 said:
    " @Origina1Penguin said:
    "

Source "
    I've always liked Morrowind's storyline. It's far more interesting than Oblivion's.   "
    Yep, even the locales were more interesting.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gizmo

Woah, that is some serious Lovecraftian shit going on there.  

Doctor Dwarftapus is pretty cool though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.