1.3 patch notes!

#1 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Update 1.3 Notes (all platforms unless specified)

General stability improvements

Optimize performance for Core 2 Duo CPUs (PC)

Fixed Radiant Story incorrectly filling certain roles

Fixed magic resistances not calculating properly

Fixed issue with placing books on bookshelves inside player purchased homes

Fixed dragon animation issues with saving and loading

Fixed Y-look input to scale correctly with framerate 

Via 

Right now however they are still in the approval stages for 360 and PS3. Hopefully we will get them very very soon. 
#2 Edited by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

Man it sounds so simple when they put it this way

#3 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Its on steam already, so it will auto update

#4 Posted by Juvenfly (125 posts) -

Don't forget: "We’re also planning on rolling out support for 4-Gigabyte Tuning (Large Address Aware) next week for our PC users. Stay tuned!"

Been using a 3rd party eggzecutable for that and it's helped a lot with weird texture issues and cut down drastically on CTDs.

#5 Posted by BonOrbitz (2175 posts) -

So far I haven't had any major problems with 1.2 (or the game in general except for a few crash-to-desktops). If my magic resistance is down I certainly haven't noticed it and I haven't seen any backwards dragons. Still, on the PC side of things a huge amount of people are in a world of hurt so I'm hoping this fixes things.

#6 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

@Juvenfly said:

Don't forget: "We’re also planning on rolling out support for 4-Gigabyte Tuning (Large Address Aware) next week for our PC users. Stay tuned!"

Been using a 3rd party eggzecutable for that and it's helped a lot with weird texture issues and cut down drastically on CTDs.

Fuck yes.

#7 Posted by Beforet (2912 posts) -

So I wasn't the only one who had the bookshelves stop working. I was afraid it was one of those fringe problems they wouldn't address since I didn't see it anywhere else.

No word on the PS3 issue though, huh?

#8 Posted by spazmaster666 (1965 posts) -

I wonder what exactly they mean by "optimize performance for Core 2 Duo CPUs." I would rather they optimize the game to run well on CPUs with more than 2 cores since I'm usually sitting at <25% CPU usage on my 2600K while my GPU never even approaches full usage even at 2560x1440 with Ultra settings and 4xAA.

#9 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3022 posts) -

I love that the majority of the patch notes are about fixing things they screwed up with the last patch.

#10 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5138 posts) -
We’re also planning on rolling out support for 4-Gigabyte Tuning (Large Address Aware) next week for our PC users.

Yes!

#11 Edited by RollingZeppelin (1918 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

We’re also planning on rolling out support for 4-Gigabyte Tuning (Large Address Aware) next week for our PC users.

Yes!

Noice, gonna check if my bookshelf is fixed.

*edit: Nope, bookshelf is still broken. Maybe any new bookshelf placements are fixed, but the one that broke last time is still broken. :(

#12 Posted by AlisterCat (5484 posts) -

@spazmaster666: It is a CPU limited game, and that is just the way the engine runs. I also have a 2600K. Consoles make more use of GPU, so that is what you get.

#13 Posted by gjedwards (102 posts) -

@Juvenfly said:

i really hope this solves the problems that i get on skyrim. i keep CTD

#14 Posted by BonOrbitz (2175 posts) -

@Afroman269 said:

@Juvenfly said:

Fuck yes.

#15 Posted by Wes899 (2107 posts) -

Now it doesn't work at all for me. Held off playing as soon as I heard the news about the last patch. It now is stuck in a loop on loading the launcher. Hitting play just reloads the launcher. :( I just want to kill wooly cows.

#16 Posted by animathias (1170 posts) -

@Beforet said:

So I wasn't the only one who had the bookshelves stop working. I was afraid it was one of those fringe problems they wouldn't address since I didn't see it anywhere else.

No word on the PS3 issue though, huh?

Updated 12/6: While the 1.2 update fixed the long-term play issues for most PS3 users, we are aware that is not the case for some. We’ve been reaching out to a number of those users to collect save games, so we can take a look at their specific issues. Right now we know it’s not one thing, but a combination of smaller ones that some folks are seeing, but others are not. Some seem to be the PS3 autosaving in the background (you can turn that off), some may be SPU AI updates, and some may relate to dynamic system memory allocation. These fixes are not in the current 1.3 update that is in final testing, but will be in future ones. We understand how frustrating it can be when your game is having issues, and we thank all of you for your continued feedback and patience. Rest assured we take your gameplay experience seriously and will continue working on this until it’s resolved.

Found on their blog.

#17 Posted by Zelyre (1129 posts) -

Yay for the LAA thing! I'm tired of snarky remarks from my friends asking if I'm enjoying CTD # (gamehours)/2*5. 97 hours of played time with 4 CTD's. And those CTDs happened without LAA.

#18 Posted by jelekeloy (456 posts) -

I just played for about an hour or so. Then crashed as a dragon flew in tight circles around Solitude for 30 seconds.

#19 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

I hope it comes out soon, mages are being such assholes.

#20 Posted by adoggz (2046 posts) -

@spazmaster666 said:

I wonder what exactly they mean by "optimize performance for Core 2 Duo CPUs." I would rather they optimize the game to run well on CPUs with more than 2 cores since I'm usually sitting at <25% CPU usage on my 2600K while my GPU never even approaches full usage even at 2560x1440 with Ultra settings and 4xAA.

thye mean that when they made the patch they found out that core 2 duo cpu's melted.

#21 Edited by Xymox (2070 posts) -

Here's something they forgot to put in the update notes:

* Now, when people launch Skyrim and push play, all that does is relaunch the launcher, so they can push play some more.

WHERE IS MY SKYRIM, BETH?!

BATTAN NO WORK

DUUUURP

*CLICKS MOAR*¨

Well, congratulations. You broke skyrim with two patches. Now it doesn't work at all. XD

Can I revert to 1.2? I'll take backwards dragons over "can't launch the game at all" any day of the week.

Edit:

Right click skyrim, properties, local files, verify integrity of game cache.

Seems to work now. :)

#22 Posted by CrimsonNoir (399 posts) -

Yea recently noticed my bookshelf not working. It wont let me get stuff from the top shelf!

#23 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

Nothing about the texture issue with installs on Xbox's? Fuck.

#24 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Excited that I can finally play Skyrim again but wary of any new issues introduced in this patch.

#25 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

I believe that was addressed in v1.2. Unless v1.2 added more texture issues, then I have no idea.

#26 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1918 posts) -

@CrimsonNoir said:

Yea recently noticed my bookshelf not working. It wont let me get stuff from the top shelf!

Is your bookshelf working now? Mine's still broken.

#27 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

@SuperWristBands said:

@JasonR86 said:

I believe that was addressed in v1.2. Unless v1.2 added more texture issues, then I have no idea.

Apparently it fixed the issue for some people but not others. For me, it didn't fix the issue.

#28 Posted by SSully (4129 posts) -

Hopefully they get some progress on the PC version crashing for no reason whatsoever. It gets a little annoying that this game crashes so frequently for no obvious reason.

#29 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@SuperWristBands said:

@JasonR86 said:

Apparently it fixed the issue for some people but not others. For me, it didn't fix the issue.

Ah, okay. I wasn't aware of that, I've been avoiding 1.2 because of the magic resistances bug.

#30 Posted by TheHBK (5465 posts) -

@Wes899 said:

Now it doesn't work at all for me. Held off playing as soon as I heard the news about the last patch. It now is stuck in a loop on loading the launcher. Hitting play just reloads the launcher. :( I just want to kill wooly cows.

Thanks for letting us know you have a pirated version! Cheers.

#31 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Is there anything else other than those notes at the beginning? I caught a bug where I can't buy the house in Windhelm because the Steward said it's not ready yet.

#32 Edited by Wes899 (2107 posts) -
#33 Posted by Binny (95 posts) -

Downloaded 1.3 for PC and the game randomly crashes to desktop on me now.

#34 Posted by gjedwards (102 posts) -

@jelekeloy: the same thing happened to me played for an hour then a CTD

#35 Posted by Tr1cky1 (18 posts) -

Is there a way of checking what version of patch you have installed for the 360? Apparently my textures still look like dogshit in places. I went for a 5 minute levitation at the back of Whitrun last night. Mainly because about 10ft deep of texture disappeared and just left me with original Xbox levels of mapping. I'm still early days in the game as well. Yes it's installed. If I were to uninstall and run off the disc, does the newer 360 style run any smoother than the older consoles?

#36 Posted by bombHills (632 posts) -

I haven't installed the game yet and never downloaded the 1.2. Playing off the disk has worked fine for me and I have an older xbox.

#37 Posted by FritzDude (2253 posts) -

Fixes on what the 1.2 patch did, pluss bookshelves and geneneral stability improvements? Sounds good to me.

#38 Posted by Tr1cky1 (18 posts) -

I'll probably wait for the next patch for an improvement. If nothing changes will probably run off the disc. I've got a new 360 so it should be quieter. Great game though, although I'm getting killed very quickly at the moment in certain situations. I'm level 8 and have heavy armor but I suspect I'm very early days still. Should I be avoiding trolls and giants in the early stages?

#39 Posted by Wes899 (2107 posts) -

@Tr1cky1: Yes. Stay away.

#40 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Tr1cky1 said:
I'll probably wait for the next patch for an improvement. If nothing changes will probably run off the disc. I've got a new 360 so it should be quieter. Great game though, although I'm getting killed very quickly at the moment in certain situations. I'm level 8 and have heavy armor but I suspect I'm very early days still. Should I be avoiding trolls and giants in the early stages?
Uhh...ya..Giants do not scale. Their levels are set at a certain point. 

And trolls are tough dude. 
#41 Posted by mostman (248 posts) -

@Tr1cky1 said:

Is there a way of checking what version of patch you have installed for the 360?

Not sure about the 360 - but on the PC you can see your version number by looking in the lower left corner on the screen with the save/load game options once in game.

#42 Posted by FritzDude (2253 posts) -

According to Bethesda the patch should "hit PS3 and Xbox 360 later in the week", but now it's friday and still no patch. What's up? I do not think that both Microsoft and Sony will release an update in the weekend so I'm crossing fingers for later today, though I have my doubts.

#43 Posted by Galiant (2181 posts) -

No fix for my broken weapon racks? I wanna display shit =(

#44 Posted by Grimluck343 (1148 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Fixed Y-look input to scale correctly with framerate

Hopefully no more .ini hacks to get the mouse working.

#45 Posted by plaintomato (598 posts) -

@Afroman269 said:

@Juvenfly said:

Fuck yes.

Seriously, who cares about that. They Fixed issue with placing books on bookshelves inside player purchased homes. About fecking time. That was breaking my game. I like to sit in my house and put boots on bookshelves. Then I'm like, "YEAH! TAKE THAT! I GOT BOOTS WITH MY BOOKS! EAT THAT YOU FROST BREATHING SISSIES!...WHAT? YOU TALKIN' TO ME? I DON'T SEE ANYBODY ELSE HERE...'CEPT THESE HERE BOOTS ON MY SHELF! BOO-YA DRAGON BITCHES!"

That's how I role. I say it in all caps too.

#46 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -
We’re also planning on rolling out support for 4-Gigabyte Tuning (Large Address Aware) next week for our PC users. Stay tuned!

This is the part I care about.

The magic resistance thing getting fixed is a big plus, too, though.

#47 Posted by briangodsoe (487 posts) -

@FritzDude said:

According to Bethesda the patch should "hit PS3 and Xbox 360 later in the week", but now it's friday and still no patch. What's up? I do not think that both Microsoft and Sony will release an update in the weekend so I'm crossing fingers for later today, though I have my doubts.

My guess is the cert process is running a little long and Msoft and Sony probably have set days where they release them. I wouldn't expect anything until at least wednesday.

#48 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@briangodsoe said:

@FritzDude said:

My guess is the cert process is running a little long and Msoft and Sony probably have set days where they release them. I wouldn't expect anything until at least wednesday.

Supposedly its because the dashboard issues. Or so says someone on the Beth forums.

#49 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

Great, I installed 1.2 on Sunday because I thought it was 1.3. Now my nords being rocked by Ice breathing Dragons. None of the other issues are hurting me, though. Hopefully 1.3 will get here by Friday, it's pretty much the last weekend before family and festivities take over.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.