Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

A Month In Skyrim - Day Twenty-Eight

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Edited By danielkempster
    No Caption Provided

Day Twenty-Eight - Tying Up Loose Ends

A night's rest did nothing to diminish my new-found resolve, and I awoke next morning determined to tie up as many loose ends as possible before returning to Delphine in Riverwood. My first port of call was Jorrvaskr, to speak with the Companions and see if I might extend my sabbatical indefinitely. Farkas didn't seem to mind my asking this, but he did ask one last thing of me before agreeing to grant me the leave that I sought. A man named Vulwulf Snow-Shod, residing in Riften, was my target - as with Faendal in Riverwood, I was required only to intimidate, not to kill. I accepted the contract, and left for Riften immediately.

Asking around the city soon led me to Snow-Shod, filling himself with bread and mead at the Bee and Barb. I invited him to take the brawl outside and into the streets, but he was insistent on brawling inside the inn. The old Nord had quite the punch on him, knocking me back a few times, but I was able to beat him into submission. I left the Bee and Barb dabbing blood away from my lip, the adrenaline still coursing through my veins. I thought about heading straight back to Whiterun to turn the job in to Farkas, but instead chose to peruse my journal and see if I had any outstanding business in Riften. As it happened, the Jarl of Falkreath had requested that if I ever found myself in the area, I might pick up some Black Briar Mead for him. Local connections put me in touch with a Dunmer who was able to sell me a bottle for a very modest ten gold.

I spent the rest of my evening following the southern trails through the Jerall mountains and back to Falkreath. I arrived in town very late that evening, and was concerned that perhaps I would be calling to speak with Siddgeir too late. Thankfully the Jarl was still awake, and his consorts did not seem to mind my presence in the longhouse either. I presented Siddgeir with the bottle of Black Briar Mead, and in return he offered me a small purse containing one hundred septims. Satisfied that all my important business in both Riften and Falkreath was now taken care of, I booked a room at the Dead Man's Drink and put my head down for the rest of the night.

I was somewhat slower than usual to rise in the morning, and my journey from Falkreath back to Whiterun was a slow and deliberate one. I did not arrive back in the city until after midday, but made straight for Jorrvaskr to tell Farkas I'd fulfilled what he'd asked of me. He thanked me, shook me warmly by the hand and wished me the best of luck in whatever the near future might hold for me. When all this business with the dragons is over, I hope to give more of my time to the Companions - in spite of my initial prejudices towards their darker side, they have been nothing but kind and welcoming to me, and I feel I owe them that much at least.

Consulting my journal once more, I noticed that I had a lot of unfinished business in Solitude. To tell the truth, I have been reluctant to spend any length of time in the city since siding with the Stormcloaks, but I would rather stand by my word and keep my promises to others before I become too embroiled in whatever destiny the Gods have mapped out for me. An Imperial writer named Adonato Leotelli asked me to pass on a copy of his latest work to the Bard's College, and Sorex Vinius had given me a bottle of Stros M'Kai Rum to deliver to Falk Fire-Beard, the steward at the Blue Palace. I ensured both items were in my pack and set off for Solitude to fulfil my obligations.

My trek northwest to the capital was unremarkable, and I arrived in Solitude under the beautiful orange sky of early evening. I first stopped at the Bard's College, where an instructor named Viarmo seemed very keen to enrol me. I declined politely, having never been one with a heart or head for verse. Perhaps it is for the best - I was always told by my parents that I could never sing, only shout, and so this new-found gift of the Voice might mean that becoming a bard would have dangerous consequences. I located the histories keeper, Giraud Gemane, and presented him with Adonato's newest work. He thanked me with a payment of five hundred gold coins, and we spoke for a while on the subject of musical history. As we talked, he noticed an old drum strung to my pack, and asked if he might examine it. He informed me that the drum, which I'd found locked in a chest in Halldir's Cairn weeks previously, had once belonged to a famous bard named Rjorn, and had been lost for many years. He offered to take it off my hands, and since I had no use for it, was happy to indulge his interest. He offered me some combat tips by way of reward, for which I graciously thanked him before taking my leave.

From the Bard's College I headed to the Blue Palace. Falk Fire-Beard was busy with Jarl Elisif, who was holding court when I arrived. I approached him after the Jarl's visitor had departed, and he seemed very pleased to receive the bottle of Hammerfell rum - so much so that he slipped a healthy five-hundred septims into my purse as thanks for the delivery. With all my outstanding commitments in Solitude dealt with, and the orange sky now turning a rich star-dotted black, I decided to book a room at the Winking Skeever and see the night through here in Solitude. Tomorrow I plan to return to Markarth, and settle all commitments I've made to its citizens. Hopefully by then, Delphine will have finished formulating her plan and we can take the fight to the Thalmor. Until then,

Ever Honest,

Lenah'd Retsmek

---

Previous Episodes

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By danielkempster
    No Caption Provided

Day Twenty-Eight - Tying Up Loose Ends

A night's rest did nothing to diminish my new-found resolve, and I awoke next morning determined to tie up as many loose ends as possible before returning to Delphine in Riverwood. My first port of call was Jorrvaskr, to speak with the Companions and see if I might extend my sabbatical indefinitely. Farkas didn't seem to mind my asking this, but he did ask one last thing of me before agreeing to grant me the leave that I sought. A man named Vulwulf Snow-Shod, residing in Riften, was my target - as with Faendal in Riverwood, I was required only to intimidate, not to kill. I accepted the contract, and left for Riften immediately.

Asking around the city soon led me to Snow-Shod, filling himself with bread and mead at the Bee and Barb. I invited him to take the brawl outside and into the streets, but he was insistent on brawling inside the inn. The old Nord had quite the punch on him, knocking me back a few times, but I was able to beat him into submission. I left the Bee and Barb dabbing blood away from my lip, the adrenaline still coursing through my veins. I thought about heading straight back to Whiterun to turn the job in to Farkas, but instead chose to peruse my journal and see if I had any outstanding business in Riften. As it happened, the Jarl of Falkreath had requested that if I ever found myself in the area, I might pick up some Black Briar Mead for him. Local connections put me in touch with a Dunmer who was able to sell me a bottle for a very modest ten gold.

I spent the rest of my evening following the southern trails through the Jerall mountains and back to Falkreath. I arrived in town very late that evening, and was concerned that perhaps I would be calling to speak with Siddgeir too late. Thankfully the Jarl was still awake, and his consorts did not seem to mind my presence in the longhouse either. I presented Siddgeir with the bottle of Black Briar Mead, and in return he offered me a small purse containing one hundred septims. Satisfied that all my important business in both Riften and Falkreath was now taken care of, I booked a room at the Dead Man's Drink and put my head down for the rest of the night.

I was somewhat slower than usual to rise in the morning, and my journey from Falkreath back to Whiterun was a slow and deliberate one. I did not arrive back in the city until after midday, but made straight for Jorrvaskr to tell Farkas I'd fulfilled what he'd asked of me. He thanked me, shook me warmly by the hand and wished me the best of luck in whatever the near future might hold for me. When all this business with the dragons is over, I hope to give more of my time to the Companions - in spite of my initial prejudices towards their darker side, they have been nothing but kind and welcoming to me, and I feel I owe them that much at least.

Consulting my journal once more, I noticed that I had a lot of unfinished business in Solitude. To tell the truth, I have been reluctant to spend any length of time in the city since siding with the Stormcloaks, but I would rather stand by my word and keep my promises to others before I become too embroiled in whatever destiny the Gods have mapped out for me. An Imperial writer named Adonato Leotelli asked me to pass on a copy of his latest work to the Bard's College, and Sorex Vinius had given me a bottle of Stros M'Kai Rum to deliver to Falk Fire-Beard, the steward at the Blue Palace. I ensured both items were in my pack and set off for Solitude to fulfil my obligations.

My trek northwest to the capital was unremarkable, and I arrived in Solitude under the beautiful orange sky of early evening. I first stopped at the Bard's College, where an instructor named Viarmo seemed very keen to enrol me. I declined politely, having never been one with a heart or head for verse. Perhaps it is for the best - I was always told by my parents that I could never sing, only shout, and so this new-found gift of the Voice might mean that becoming a bard would have dangerous consequences. I located the histories keeper, Giraud Gemane, and presented him with Adonato's newest work. He thanked me with a payment of five hundred gold coins, and we spoke for a while on the subject of musical history. As we talked, he noticed an old drum strung to my pack, and asked if he might examine it. He informed me that the drum, which I'd found locked in a chest in Halldir's Cairn weeks previously, had once belonged to a famous bard named Rjorn, and had been lost for many years. He offered to take it off my hands, and since I had no use for it, was happy to indulge his interest. He offered me some combat tips by way of reward, for which I graciously thanked him before taking my leave.

From the Bard's College I headed to the Blue Palace. Falk Fire-Beard was busy with Jarl Elisif, who was holding court when I arrived. I approached him after the Jarl's visitor had departed, and he seemed very pleased to receive the bottle of Hammerfell rum - so much so that he slipped a healthy five-hundred septims into my purse as thanks for the delivery. With all my outstanding commitments in Solitude dealt with, and the orange sky now turning a rich star-dotted black, I decided to book a room at the Winking Skeever and see the night through here in Solitude. Tomorrow I plan to return to Markarth, and settle all commitments I've made to its citizens. Hopefully by then, Delphine will have finished formulating her plan and we can take the fight to the Thalmor. Until then,

Ever Honest,

Lenah'd Retsmek

---

Previous Episodes

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#2  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Damn, already at day twenty-eight! That's some pretty awesome stuff. I really don't have too much to talk about as far as content, other than I thought some of the winery quests in the game were pretty fun. I hope that they're going to expand the faction elements into businesses as well in a future Elder Scrolls, though perhaps maybe that's overthinking things a bit much on my part.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By danielkempster

@Sparky_Buzzsaw: I know previous Elder Scrolls games have included businesses as factions (most notably Morrowind's expansion, Bloodmoon, which featured the East Empire Company as one of its main factions), so there is an established precedent. I'd definitely be interested in seeing a business-faction quest line in a future Elder Scrolls game, provided it fit in with the lore of the relevant time period. Maybe something where two rival companies are trying to settle in the province, and you have the choice to support one or the other, or maybe even play both sides off against the middle for your own financial gain. It could also be a great opportunity to have the Speech skill count for something meaningful besides dictating item prices - we have factions devoted to combat, magic and stealth, so why not one dedicated to charismatic interactions in a trading environment as well? Although now we're moving towards the area of whether or not you should be able to 'silver-tongue' your way through a game like Skyrim, which is a different issue altogether, and one that in itself I could probably write paragraph upon paragraph about. Like you, I'm probably over-thinking things at this point, but it's fun to dream, eh?

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Storms
    @dankempster: Getting a second entry today made me feel less cold and dead inside. Thanks. 

Maybe what you're asking for in regards to utilising the speech skill is a bit much -- Bethesda can only do so much. But it is indeed fun to dream. I think something more reasonable to shoot for is more speech check instances. At least half the characters in the game should be silver-tongueable.

Hell, maybe Bethesda and Obsidian should just merge and create the perfect game.
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By danielkempster

@Storms: Yeah, I don't realistically anticipate Bethesda to turn the Speech skill into something as important to progression as Destruction or One-Handed. I agree completely with more speech checks, and it might be nice to have a little more transparency on those speech checks as well - right now I recognise when one comes up, but I have absolutely no indication of how likely my chances of success are. I really liked Fallout: New Vegas's speech check system, with the numbers beside the speech check - despite it being less realistic, I felt it struck a great balance between serving the mechanics of the game and serving the needs of the player.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By CJduke

I just found this now at Day 28. I think I'm gonna try to read them all!

Harpell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Harpell

As far as "silver-tongue"-ing your way through the game goes, I don't know if you are overthinking it. Just look at Fallout: New Vegas. You could could accomplish quite a bit through speech checks alone. Add in all the other non-combat skill checks, and you could breeze through alot of situations without firing a bullet. The precedent is definitely there.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#8  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@CJduke said:

I just found this now at Day 28. I think I'm gonna try to read them all!

Do so. Dan's writing is fantastic - you should also check out his Enduring Final Fantasy VII series.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.