Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Beginner question

GenghisJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GenghisJohn

Quick question guys,

I bought a bow that does additional fire damage, it had a meter on it and when the meter ran out it no longer set dudes on fire.

My question is, will this recharge over time or should I ditch it?

SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SpacePenguin

You recharge it using soul gems, with trapped souls in them.

Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Jerr

Go to the weapon in the menu, press RB/equivalent, and pick a gem, guy.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@SpacePenguin said:

Do you have to go to an enchanting bench or something to do this or can you do it right from your inventory?

ModernAlkemie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ModernAlkemie

All magical enchantments are powered by souls, which are held in soul gems.

Soul gems come in several grades (petty, lesser, common, greater, grand) depending on the "size" or "quality" of the soul they can hold. Generally, lower tier enemies will grant lower tier souls. Higher grade souls will refill more magic meter on enchanted weapons when used, and they will also produce more powerful effects when used for item enchanting.

Soul gems can either be found as loot or bought from magic dealers. These will often be empty, and you will have to fill them with a soul yourself. This can be done in two ways: 1) kill an enemy with a weapon that has the soul trap enchantment or 2) cast soul trap on an enemy and kill them before the spell wears off. If you kill them while the soul trap effect is still on and you have a large enough empty soul gem, the enemy's soul will instantly be transferred to the gem with an accompanying animation similar to when you absorb a dragon soul after killing a dragon. You can now use the filled gem to recharge your weapon. Be careful to not waste your soul gems by using a higher grade soul than is necessary to fill your weapon's meter.

GenghisJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GenghisJohn

Thanks guys! I must've missed where they explained this. I'm back setting dudes on fire!

Marnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Marnox
    @GenghisJohn: Don't think it's ever explained in a tutorial. The only tip a beginner has is the "refill" or whatever icon that your weapon has in the weapons menu
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By natetodamax

@Still_I_Cry said:

@SpacePenguin said:

Do you have to go to an enchanting bench or something to do this or can you do it right from your inventory?

You can do it in your inventory

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By project343

@GenghisJohn: They don't really explain this system outside of their quick little tutorial screens during the loading, and when you find an enchanted item for the first time. It's sort of a feature carried over from past games that I think they expect users to already know.

dirtyharry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By dirtyharry

Do it.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @ModernAlkemie said:

All magical enchantments are powered by souls, which are held in soul gems.

Soul gems come in several grades (petty, lesser, common, greater, grand) depending on the "size" or "quality" of the soul they can hold. Generally, lower tier enemies will grant lower tier souls. Higher grade souls will refill more magic meter on enchanted weapons when used, and they will also produce more powerful effects when used for item enchanting.

Soul gems can either be found as loot or bought from magic dealers. These will often be empty, and you will have to fill them with a soul yourself. This can be done in two ways: 1) kill an enemy with a weapon that has the soul trap enchantment or 2) cast soul trap on an enemy and kill them before the spell wears off. If you kill them while the soul trap effect is still on and you have a large enough empty soul gem, the enemy's soul will instantly be transferred to the gem with an accompanying animation similar to when you absorb a dragon soul after killing a dragon. You can now use the filled gem to recharge your weapon. Be careful to not waste your soul gems by using a higher grade soul than is necessary to fill your weapon's meter.

Awesome post, thank you. 

However, it's still a very confusing system. The variety of soul sizes and gem sizes make me unsure what kind of gem I need to match the soul I need etc..
    Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Sitoxity

@AhmadMetallic: Very confusing for the newcomer but it hasn't changed for a number of the games, thankfully. It's a nice system, I like it.

anypti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By anypti

Im on the "The horn of jorgen windcaller" quest, and i have come to the Sleeping Giant Inn in Riverwood where im supposed to rent a room and meet the one who has the horn. The problem is that at the start of the game, when i was moving through Riverwood for the first time, i accidentally punched some kid in the face. Now when i enter the Sleeping Giant Inn the ladie that im supposed to speak with, goes on a rampage, and wants to kill me. How can i fix this? Don't tell me i have to start all over..?

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Sayishere

nevermind.

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@anypti: Go talk to a guard in that town to pay your bounty.

anypti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By anypti

nevermind! i played tag with the kid i punched, then it was all forgiven!

anypti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By anypti

@Raakill: yeah, i did pay the fine, but it wasn't ok before i played tag with the kid that i punched in the face. Maybe the game took several minutes to register that i had paid the fine..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.