Best way to deal with bears.

#1 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3865 posts) -

Bears are a pain in the ass. I've basically resorted to Fus Ro Dah-ing them down then wailing on them with two swords if I can't take them out from a distance. Usually I can spot them from far enough away but occasionally I'll be hit by a Ninja Bear, something that's been a fear of mine since Red Dead Redemption. How do you guys take them out?

Ok I'm gonna come clean now, the above was a weak attempt at giving this thread enough context to not get locked but really the whole reason for it is this video. I laughed my ass off. Not the in the 'lmao' sense, but for reals. Particularity at the end. I have to go find my ass now.

UPDATE: He's back. This continues to be hilarious. If you haven't seen these yet, watch em in order.

#2 Posted by CheapPoison (731 posts) -

i saw that earlier today!

Pretty good, good to share that.

#3 Posted by JCTango (1362 posts) -

Brilliant :).

#4 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

Oh god, you mentioned the bears from RDR and I shat myself

#5 Posted by ViciousAnchovy (742 posts) -

May the mods not lock this, for it is great.

#6 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

My guy is level 60. Basically left click. If I want to get fancy, sometimes I paralyze first.

#7 Posted by destruktive (1069 posts) -

I hit it with something hard. Works wonders for me :P

#8 Posted by animathias (1186 posts) -

Saw that video a couple of days ago. Great stuff.

I've recently maxed out my Archery, so I've been leveling up my 2-Handed. A Glass Warhammer with Shock Damage and Paralyze. Every now and then when fighting the bears, I get the "kill cam" where my character just slams the warhammer into the bear's mouth. For all the effing grief they gave me in the early levels, it's quite satisfying.

Also, I don't know if it's a bug or not, but sometimes my paralyze will proc right as they die, and it's like instant taxidermy.

#9 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Bears are easy to kill.

#10 Posted by MetalBaofu (1381 posts) -

I hit them with my axe(Wuuthrad), then walk away because they are dead.

#11 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

ooh that was great

#12 Posted by SSValis (1136 posts) -

@JCTango said:

Wait am I missing something here? He just fus roh dah'ed him around the world.

#13 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3865 posts) -
@SSValis said:

@JCTango said:

Yeah there's a subtle subtext to the whole thing. The bear flying around the world is symbolic of the journey you take through Skyrim, but him trying to catch the man and missing him is symbolic of the futility of playing video games, ultimately you're left with nothing.

Or it's just a bear flying round the world who gets himself a sweet helmet. Which is hilarious.
#14 Posted by 49th (2755 posts) -

I've never had problems with bears. Now I just run at them with my bad ass samurai sword and smash my shield into their face.

#15 Posted by august (3845 posts) -

Level up your mans.

#16 Edited by pyromagnestir (4323 posts) -

At first I thought it was going to be a pretty obvious joke after the shout, albeit a well executed obvious joke, but they changed it up at the end there, although I think I would've preferred the obvious joke. It's a nice video either way.

edit: ok on second thought I like it more. Maybe it just ends a bit abruptly.

further edit: and now I want to play as a bear. Is that an available mod? Maybe playable bear would be good dlc. I'd buy that for a dollar.

As for bears, dual wielded one handed weapons means a single bear has never been a problem, although if I had ever ran into multiple bears early on I'd have been fucked.

#17 Posted by IzzyGraze (850 posts) -

Yeah, never had that much trouble with the bears. Bears have no ranged so all you have to do is jump onto a rock and shoot them until they're dead.

#18 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Bears aren't that difficult, although i do remember that one time those two snow bears ganged up on me. Freaking cheaters man.

#19 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I have no trouble with bears. I'm using my fists, and they go down in four or five hits. Also, that video was pretty great.

#20 Posted by beeftothetaco (423 posts) -

Kill em real good.

#21 Posted by SSValis (1136 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@SSValis said:

@JCTango said:

Yeah there's a subtle subtext to the whole thing. The bear flying around the world is symbolic of the journey you take through Skyrim, but him trying to catch the man and missing him is symbolic of the futility of playing video games, ultimately you're left with nothing. Or it's just a bear flying round the world who gets himself a sweet helmet. Which is hilarious.

I found your post more funny then the video, so there you go.

#22 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3865 posts) -
@SSValis said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@SSValis said:

@JCTango said:

Yeah there's a subtle subtext to the whole thing. The bear flying around the world is symbolic of the journey you take through Skyrim, but him trying to catch the man and missing him is symbolic of the futility of playing video games, ultimately you're left with nothing. Or it's just a bear flying round the world who gets himself a sweet helmet. Which is hilarious.

I found your post more funny then the video, so there you go.

Sweet! As long as everyone's entertained I'm happy.
#23 Posted by Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497 (559 posts) -

I always felt that the sabrecats were bigger dicks than the bears. That video is pretty great though.

#24 Posted by ajamafalous (11990 posts) -
@Green_Incarnate said:

My guy is level 60. Basically left click. If I want to get fancy, sometimes I paralyze first.

Basically this.
#25 Posted by PenguinDust (12511 posts) -

Pretty cute video. As for me, I just soul tap them and let Lydia whomp on them until she takes a knee, then go in for the kill. Sometimes, I need to kite them around until she gets her second wind if its one of those big ice bears.

#26 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

The best way to deal with bear is to not deal with bears.

#27 Posted by pweidman (2333 posts) -

zweihander facial

Been many levels since bears were more than a trifle for my brutish brawler.

#28 Posted by cloudnineboya (815 posts) -

i laughed out loud , nice vid .

#29 Posted by mikey87144 (1772 posts) -

My character can destroy bears with a simple firestorm spell.

#30 Posted by SSully (4185 posts) -

That video was excellent, thanks for sharing.

Also bears aint shit when you are a two handed master wielding a big ass ebony hammer.

#31 Posted by damswedon (3191 posts) -
#32 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3865 posts) -

He's back. This continues to be hilarious. I'll update the OP with this.

Trying to find this thread made me realize search is kinda busted on here.

#33 Posted by advocatefish (356 posts) -

I punch bear, bear goes down. That is the Khajiit way.

#34 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (742 posts) -

You don't. They deal with you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.