Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

First review of Skyrim is out. 5/10! Just kidding it's...

• 77 results
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

@emergency said:

@XII_Sniper said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I really wanna read a review where they delve into the combat. I'm really never ever going to be able to play Oblivion or any Fall out (the modern ones that is) because of the combat, I loved it back then but I loathed it after playing so much of Oblivion/FO3. Hope Skyrim doesn't burn me out as well because that will be a shame. But hey, I'm not expecting this game to get anything less then good reviews.

From all the videos released so far it doesn't look like it will be significantly different. I mean adding dual-wielding and off-hand magic is a major deal, but if you already hated the style of combat, you won't feel any differently here. Those games have never even been about the combat, I tend to avoid it as often as possible and just kinda did my own thing. It's a good exploration game.

It looks a little easier, and more efficient. Looks like you have a lot more options, including some of the shouts and magic seems more useful. If you didn't like the combat in Oblivion you'll probably not be particularly chuffed with Skyrim's however, if you could deal with Oblivion's it's probably going to be awesome.

That's what I'm hoping @emergency: . 
    It breaks my immersion to have to hit a rat more (or as much) as a big hulking Orc.
    Pumping 30 bullets into a scorpion and not having it die ruined New Vegas for me, I was done with the combat. 
    I'm totally game for dual wielding axes though.
    emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By emergency

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@emergency said:

@XII_Sniper said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I really wanna read a review where they delve into the combat. I'm really never ever going to be able to play Oblivion or any Fall out (the modern ones that is) because of the combat, I loved it back then but I loathed it after playing so much of Oblivion/FO3. Hope Skyrim doesn't burn me out as well because that will be a shame. But hey, I'm not expecting this game to get anything less then good reviews.

From all the videos released so far it doesn't look like it will be significantly different. I mean adding dual-wielding and off-hand magic is a major deal, but if you already hated the style of combat, you won't feel any differently here. Those games have never even been about the combat, I tend to avoid it as often as possible and just kinda did my own thing. It's a good exploration game.

It looks a little easier, and more efficient. Looks like you have a lot more options, including some of the shouts and magic seems more useful. If you didn't like the combat in Oblivion you'll probably not be particularly chuffed with Skyrim's however, if you could deal with Oblivion's it's probably going to be awesome.

That's what I'm hoping @emergency: . It breaks my immersion to have to hit a rat more (or as much) as a big hulking Orc. Pumping 30 bullets into a scorpion and not having it die ruined New Vegas for me, I was done with the combat. I'm totally game for dual wielding axes though.

I'm sure there were still be some situations where you are hitting something an awful amount of times. They did do some work with how the level of zones is worked, so perhaps there won't be a great deal of situations where you are vastly outlevelled by the enemies and your attacks are measly in comparison. Here's hoping.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emergency:  As long as its not a goddamn Cliff Racer, Mud Crab or Rat, I don't care.^^
    I liked battling humans as they would often die within a reasonable nummber of strikes, but some animals just wouldn't fucking die.
    And then I 1shotted a Minotaurus.

Shit's fucked up yo.
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By JasonR86

I just read through the review mentioned in the OP and it sounds like they only found a few problems (ex; getting fined for accidentally hitting someone while fighting a Dragon outside of a town). It looks like they took the best of their previous Elder Scrolls games and limited the messed up bits.

On a side note, the reviewer listed ID Software as the developer (for those that don't know, ID didn't make this game).

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By emergency

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@emergency: As long as its not a goddamn Cliff Racer, Mud Crab or Rat, I don't care.^^ I liked battling humans as they would often die within a reasonable nummber of strikes, but some animals just wouldn't fucking die. And then I 1shotted a Minotaurus. Shit's fucked up yo.

Don't you dare bring Mud Crabs into this discussion. They are beautiful, and shall take as many hits as they want.

No Caption Provided
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emergency:  I've discussed wih Mud Crabs more fearsome then you!
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By phrosnite

People... don't forget that Oblivion has average of 94% and that game is busted on so many levels. Let's see if the past will repeat.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By emergency

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@emergency: I've discussed wih Mud Crabs more fearsome then you!

Implying mudcrabs aren't the most fiercest of beasts. *laughs* As if you could find a firecer animal, those claws... UNFORGIVING.

excido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By excido

so spyched for this game, i also happen to have off from work tuesday-friday...sucks that it doesn't come out till friday =\ regardless of what reviewers say i'll probably get this game. too bad there aren't any pre-order discounts or bonuses on steam or i'd pre-order it.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Cloudenvy

@emergency said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Implying mudcrabs aren't the most fiercest of beasts. *laughs* As if you could find a firecer animal, those claws... UNFORGIVING.

What about a zombie bear?

ABritishNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#61  Edited By ABritishNerd
    @bioblood22

Oh and I think daylights savings hates Skyrim fans, adding another hour to our wait! DAMN YOU DAYLIGHT SAVINGS!!!!!!

It's a conspiracy by Bethesda to steal our souls. It's worth it to play Skyrim though.
    Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Mikewrestler5

I'm still going to get Skyrim, but from what I have seen so far (not that it's a bad thing), it's Oblivion 2.0

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cloudenvy said:

@emergency said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Zombie Bears pale in comparison to the Cliff Racer.
    emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By emergency

@Cloudenvy said:

@emergency said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

There's only one way to find out...

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Cloudenvy

@emergency said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@emergency said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

There's only one way to find out...

As long as I don't have to catch either animal myself, I'm in!

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#66  Edited By Wuddel

@Prodstep said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@Prodstep said:

I never understood reviews that have "sound" as their own category.

Why? There are some games that have really bland or lifeless audio and it can really ruin a game. Then there are games like BF3 that give you ear-gasms.

Never seemed like a big enough deal to warrant its own category, I always though packing it in with graphics and renaming it "presentation" or something was the right way to go.

I think it is kind of a legacy category. I do not know which generation of gamer you are. So I am just saying that sound quality was quite different (PC) back in the day in the early to mid 90ies. Nowadays a decent sound seems to be easy to do, or at least company always hire enough skilled people to do it. So I would agree on lumping it into a general presentation rating. Still companies like DICE raise above the average by delivering some really awesome sound.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#67  Edited By Sooty

Oblivion got good reviews too and still played like ass. I hope my pre-order of Skyrim doesn't give me a game that's janky as fuck to play again.

I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment. I just want to explore icy landscapes as Jon Snow without being hindered by dreadful combat. Is that asking too much?!

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68  Edited By Sooty

@Prodstep said:

I guess you don't own a good surround sound setup and/or decent headphones with a Dolby Headphone capable amp/sound card.

Sound is majorly important, Amnesia wouldn't be scary if the sound was just average or mediocre, excellent sound design makes that game what it is.

I was ignorant to how much difference sound can make once too.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By BonOrbitz

@Sooty said:

@Prodstep said:

I guess you don't own a good surround sound setup and/or decent headphones with a Dolby Headphone capable amp/sound card.

Sound is majorly important, Amnesia wouldn't be scary if the sound was just average or mediocre, excellent sound design makes that game what it is.

I was ignorant to how much difference sound can make once too.

Exactly. Try watching Jaws muted.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By bybeach

@Contro said:

Atomic are a bunch of flammin mongrels I've never heard of. I'd wait for a few more reviews to come in before getting happy. What version did they play?

FlamminMongrels....name of my new band.

A few more reviews of same and I will begin the considering proccess that I will get this someday.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By phrosnite

@Cloudenvy said:

That's good and all but...

No Caption Provided

"Developer: id Software."

What.

This is funny. Yeap, that's a fail.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#73  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Man I hope the sound design really does make me flinch. Oblivion had really good atmospheric sound design, and it helped me get completely lost in the world.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#74  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

@washingmachine said:

Graphics: hmm...92..?

Please don't tell me you're being serious. Please.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#75  Edited By TheHBK

@Prodstep said:

That is pretty important. I will say that sound was the most impressive part of Battlefield 3 for me.

Slayeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Slayeric

@Prodstep said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@Prodstep said:

Why? There are some games that have really bland or lifeless audio and it can really ruin a game. Then there are games like BF3 that give you ear-gasms.

Never seemed like a big enough deal to warrant its own category, I always though packing it in with graphics and renaming it "presentation" or something was the right way to go.

Speaking as someone who has studied audio engineering in school, I can tell you right now that is a big deal. So much of a video games satisfaction feed back loop comes from it's audio. The level up noise, how it sounds when you defeat an enemy, the sound track, the ambient noise. Listen up a bit more, you'll notice what games do the audio well and which ones don't.

TruthOasis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By TruthOasis

Who cares about the random numbers, they are meaningless. I want words, give me the words! WORDS WORDS WORDS

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#78  Edited By fattony12000

@Prodstep said:

REAL SOUNDS

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.