Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

I'm a lvl 40ish mage with no smithing...

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By sickVisionz

... is there a point to keeping Dragon Scales and Bones? My companion is a mage and neither of use or will ever use any type of physical weapon outside of her using a staff. I've got a cupboard in my house with like 50 of each. Is there any point to keeping them?

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PeasantAbuse

As far as I know, you only use them to craft armor. So I guess there isn't really any reason for you to keep them.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jking47

You can make dragon scale armor, which is light armor class not heavy. The dragon plate is the heavy version. But I don't think its worth it to take the time to level smithing all the way to 100, so if I were you I would sell em all.

Avatar image for starfishhunter9
    Starfishhunter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Starfishhunter9

Level that smithing later? I managed to get to level 55 so you should still have enough perks.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

Sell them if you don't plan on filling up the perk tree.

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ulain

@sickVisionz: Considering there are no dragonbone or dragonscale weapons to be made, it is entirely useless no matter what.

If you plan on wearing armor though, you might want to hold onto it. Or maybe you'll switch companions. Who knows?

confinedbread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By confinedbread

I'm playing a mage, and I have a wicked set of legendary dragonscale armor that makes destruction and conjuration spells free. I'm able to cut through enemies like butter on master, it's awesome. I'd hold on to them and level smithing up later on.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By RobotHamster

If you need the money I'd say sell them, if not maybe they'll come in handy one day if you want to make maybe some light armor or just gain some xp by leveling up smithing.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#9  Edited By alistercat

There is no loss of magic potency by wearing armour, so it is in your best interest to max out both smithing and enchanting, as well as their perk trees. That way you can enchant real armour with better buffs than on robes you find. There is no advantage that I know of to robes.

So do it. Or sell for money, there are infinite dragons if you ever need more.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By monkeyking1969

How much bone and scale do you even need to make armor? Could most people get rid of most of their supply and still make armor?

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jasonefmonk

@AlisterCat said:

There is no advantage that I know of to robes.

What about keeping it classy?

lusence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lusence

well, if you lvl up smithing and enchanting your char is going to gain a bunch of lvls. thus making enemies that scale that much harder because you had to lvl up a bunch for those skills as where a mage can hang just fine in his arch robes and a mask rings etc, plenty of mana and mana regain.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By pweidman

Just sell 'em. Unless you wanna power lvl smithing and spend the 5 perks to get back to Dragon Armor in the tree. Plenty of good armor you can find so it seems like just something to do if you're bored.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@confinedbread: Is there a quest where you got that or did you craft it? 

Smithing is super easy to level up, just buy a bunch of leather or iron ingots and leather strips and go made with Iron daggers and hide armour. I found that the xp you get from crafting an item is the same no matter what it is, so just spam the items with the smallest resource cost.
    TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TorMasturba

@zudthespud said:

@confinedbread: Is there a quest where you got that or did you craft it? Smithing is super easy to level up, just buy a bunch of leather or iron ingots and leather strips and go made with Iron daggers and hide armour. I found that the xp you get from crafting an item is the same no matter what it is, so just spam the items with the smallest resource cost.

Useful tip, thanks very much. I was buying resources to build steel armour for a short while, now I will just do the smarter thing that you did. Shouldn't take too long at this point I'm currently at lvl 80 for smithing and I have a largish collection of Dragon scales by this point. :-)

Phoenix778m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Phoenix778m

If your using ironskin and the alteration perks like I am, then there is no reason to hold on to dragon bones. It is frustrating to see people say robes serve no purpose. Armor serves no purpose to a mage when iron flesh with my perk makes me invincible.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By EightBitShik

I am liking the smithing in this game so far though I have spent a lot of money on it. I did just create my first glass axe and bow though and they look dope :)

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fetchfox

If you're never going to delve into smithing, sell the bones. Dragons spawn randomly and respawn at Dragon walls, so getting more bones for smithing (if you change your mind) shouldn't be a problem.

Linkhyrule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Linkhyrule

You can throw them at a beggar.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

The dragons respawn, so if you need them you can just kill dragons.

Tomkang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tomkang

Smithing 15 -> 100 levels you. You don't need any perks, just spam iron daggers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.