Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Must I Improve My Own Items? Smithing Question

EODTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EODTech

Alright, I am not putting any time or effort into leveling my Smithing skill. But I'd still like to be able to have improved weapons/armor. Is there a way to pay smiths to do this for me, instead of having to sink points into Smithing? Seems stupid that you can't just pay somebody to improve your gear if they have the relevant skill.

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Storms
    @EODTech said:

Alright, I am not putting any time or effort into leveling my Smithing skill. But I'd still like to be able to have improved weapons/armor. Is there a way to pay smiths to do this for me, instead of having to sink points into Smithing? Seems stupid that you can't just pay somebody to improve your gear if they have the relevant skill.

No. 

This gives people a reason to go into Smithing. Like the sneak attacks give you a reason to go into Sneak.  

You could always summon a bound sword. When you take the "mystic binding" perk, it's more powerful than daedric weapons.
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

No, but you should really get the skill up, it's kind of a huge difference. And not very hard. Just buy lots of ingots/ore and go to Markarth to farm Dwemer scrap to get like 50 Dwarven ingots in a run through the Dwemer ruins under the city (it's all right outside near the scholars and right inside before you ever get to any spiders, so its super to easy to get as long as you have an empty pack).

I will admit, it's odd that there isn't an option, but it'd likely be expensive and less effective than what you can do with a maxed smithing ability. Smithing is really goddamn good.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Brendan

Smithing is almost essential if you wear heavy armour. I can't say for other builds.

Dry_Carton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Dry_Carton

Smithing and Enchanting are ridiculously good. You have to come up with a very good reason not to level both of them. The only reason not to use Smithing, that I can think of, is if you're a mage who doesn't use weapons or armor.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

You don't need to, but that particular skill comes highly recommended.

It seems like the best builds are those that are high in both Smithing and Enchanting as well as Restoration, and then either one-handed and destruction magic or two handed.

EODTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EODTech

@Dry_Carton said:

Smithing and Enchanting are ridiculously good. You have to come up with a very good reason not to level both of them.

It's a roleplaying game. You play a role. My thiefy assassin doesn't want to learn smithing. He will gladly pay some NPC to improve his armor for him, though, and there should be a way to do that. Just like the old school pencil-and-paper D&D or L5R. You want to visit a gunsmith, you tell your dungeon master "I want to go see a gunsmith" and if he tells you no, they exist but for some reason you and you alone cannot use them, then he's never allowed to DM again. But I guess it's only "roleplaying" to a certain extent.

My question's been answered, though, so this thread can be locked. TM guys.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.