Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Skyrim, Thieves guild armour > Nightingale armour

Avatar image for themurcwiththemouth
    themurcwiththemouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I've finally decided to go ahead and earn the nightingale armour and from what I've seen it SUCKS if you want to just be a generic thief and that the thieves guild armour is so much better. My character is a generic thief who uses bows, daggers, all that good stuff so here are my reasons for why nightingale armour doesn't really make all that much sense.

1. Hood

Nightingale- Illusion spells cost 15% less to cast.

Thieves guild- Prices are 10% better

This one is pretty obvious. As a thief I don't use magic

2. Gloves

Nightingale- Lockpicking is 20% easier. One-handed attacks do 20% more damage.

Thieves guild- Lockpicking is 15% easier.

The only piece of the nightingale that is actually useful and an upgrade

3. Boots

Nightingale- Wearer is muffled and moves silently.

Thieves guild- Pickpocket success is 15% better.

From what I've seen enemies have yet to show a different reaction to sneaking around in the nightingale boots, which makes them do pretty much bugger all especially if you have the Silence perk.

4. Armour

Nightingale- Increases your stamina by 30 points. Increases Frost Resistance by 30%

Thieves guild- Carrying capacity increased by 20 points

As a thief I don't expect myself to be needing any of those upgrades due to the fact that I'l be sneaking around using arrows and backstabbing to take people out. And the extra 20 points in carrying capacity is always worth it, especially if your like me and pick up every piece of crap you see

Remember this is strictly for traditional thieves and doesn't apply to people who like to mix and mach classes.

So what are your takes on the nightingale armour and sorry I'm EXTREMELY late on the subject. Haven't had much time to play the game ;)

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By NickL

As someone who wanted to roleplay a thief, the nightingale armor was probably the single most disappointing thing about the game for me.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

But that's not what the Nightingale armor is for. It's given to you when you become an Agent of Nocturnal, therefore it would seem obvious that the gear would be more tuned towards offensive stealth abilities rather than just trying to remain hidden at all times. As for the Illusion magic boost, looking at the Illusion spells list, they also fit into the role of a Twilight Sepulcher protector.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FritzDude

I think you forgot the set bonus Nightingale gives you (more armor rating). But as mentioned already: Nightingales is not ment for your typical thief class, that's what both the thieves guild and the master thieves armor set is for, which takes a lot of time to acquire. As for the Nightingale armor, I think it's really good, especially if you've specialized in illusion too for invisibilis.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BrockNRolla

Most of the really cool looking armor is nothing special. That's a huge flaw in skyrim in my opinion.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Doctorchimp

Nightingale still looks way better...

And if you're on the PC you can put whatever enchantment you want on it.

With the construction set out I'm sure there's going to be a mod that lets you strip out unique armor abilities without destroying them so you can put the ebony armor effect on nightingale.

RogD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RogD

I found the Nightingale armor to be absolutely beautiful. It looks so ancient and sinister, yet elegant at the same time. It's very sleek and it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. The armor is sort of a mix between a ninja, a wizard and a thief.

bio595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bio595

I found myself mixing the Dark Brotherhood gear and the nightingale armor. Worked out pretty well and looks pretty good.

Nerolus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Nerolus

It's not necessarily supposed to be better, just different.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.