Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Skyrim vs. Morrowind vs. Oblivion

lucianotassis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By lucianotassis

Some years ago, I have bought Morrowind in a supermarket offering, because the "Elder Scrolls" was a vaguely familiar name to me. To my surprise, this game slowly turned into a real obsession in my life: I remember waking up earlier than normal in the morning to play it before going to work (like 5 a.m.), than playing again in the lunch time, and at night until late hours... just to repeat everything again in the next day, and the next. All that plot about gods, Vivec ("Praise Vivec!"), Almalexia, Sotha Sil and the Nerevarine was absolutely fascinating before my astonished eyes. Seeking Caius Cosades in Balmora was an urgent matter in my mind, such as it was travelling there carrying a letter from the Emperor. 

Some years later, I played Oblivion, and despite the visuals that made my mouth wide opened in wonder, the story was somehow predictable, I don't know... the plot doesn't sucked me in the same way Morrowind's plot did. 

Now that Skyrim is coming near, all the hype is coming back in my soul, but there is some hope together with it: the hope that the new game would be so mysterious and new as Morrowind was, bringing me all the excitement to explore a world so different from ours and extremely exotic, but still completely believable. 

lucianotassis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lucianotassis

Some years ago, I have bought Morrowind in a supermarket offering, because the "Elder Scrolls" was a vaguely familiar name to me. To my surprise, this game slowly turned into a real obsession in my life: I remember waking up earlier than normal in the morning to play it before going to work (like 5 a.m.), than playing again in the lunch time, and at night until late hours... just to repeat everything again in the next day, and the next. All that plot about gods, Vivec ("Praise Vivec!"), Almalexia, Sotha Sil and the Nerevarine was absolutely fascinating before my astonished eyes. Seeking Caius Cosades in Balmora was an urgent matter in my mind, such as it was travelling there carrying a letter from the Emperor. 

Some years later, I played Oblivion, and despite the visuals that made my mouth wide opened in wonder, the story was somehow predictable, I don't know... the plot doesn't sucked me in the same way Morrowind's plot did. 

Now that Skyrim is coming near, all the hype is coming back in my soul, but there is some hope together with it: the hope that the new game would be so mysterious and new as Morrowind was, bringing me all the excitement to explore a world so different from ours and extremely exotic, but still completely believable. 

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Aronman789

Bethesda said they were trying to bring back the feeling of being a stranger in a foreign land like Morrowind had, and get rid of the typical high fantasy feel that Oblivion had, so I'm really excited to be walking around and find something really fucking weird, like the strange shrines and graves that were hidden all around the map in Morrowind.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Yeah, Morrowind was great. 

Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Echo

I have so many memories of Morrowind that I don't in Oblivion just because of the rich and extensive lore. There was so much more to do and find as well (Did anybody else kill lots of Ordinators and then sell their armor to the Talking Mudcrab?). There were so many more unique NPCs with their own stories. I really hope that maybe in Elder Scrolls VI they'll have enough disk space to record voices to fill in all these stories.

lucianotassis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lucianotassis
    @Aronman789:
    Yeah, I remember experiencing awe when I found my first daedric temple. And how could I forget the fear I had when I noticed the "energy fence" around Red Mountain and imagined how powerful Dagoth Ur should be...
    The panic that took me when I was infected with corprus disease... man! And all the doubts about all the versions of the battle of Red Mountain I heard of... was Vivec lying? Was he a traitor? Had he and the Tribunal really killed Nerevar? 
    What an amazing experience to have!
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Venatio

Is Morrowind free yet? Daggerfall is though right?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Aronman789 said:
    " Bethesda said they were trying to bring back the feeling of being a stranger in a foreign land like Morrowind had, and get rid of the typical high fantasy feel that Oblivion had, so I'm really excited to be walking around and find something really fucking weird, like the strange shrines and graves that were hidden all around the map in Morrowind. "
    Good, the weird alien landscape of Morrowind was one of the best things it had going for it. What an original setting.  
    Skyrim is a looking pretty good, I'm liking the direction taken thus far. Also magic and swords at the same time?! There's no way I'm NOT being a battlemage on playthrough 1. 
    lucianotassis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lucianotassis
    @Venatio:
    Yeah, Daggerfall is free, but Morrowind is not... yet! :)
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose
    @Aronman789 said:
    " Bethesda said they were trying to bring back the feeling of being a stranger in a foreign land like Morrowind had, and get rid of the typical high fantasy feel that Oblivion had, so I'm really excited to be walking around and find something really fucking weird, like the strange shrines and graves that were hidden all around the map in Morrowind. "
    Oh shit, really? YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! I hated what they did to Oblivion's setting.
    lucianotassis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lucianotassis
    @TheSeductiveMoose: 

I like one thing in Skyrim: the dwemer ruins from Morrowind will be back. But I think Bethesda should be careful about dragons, since they are such a "commom" and predictable creature in fantasy settings nowadays... :(
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By FreakAche

Yeah Oblivion pales in comparison to Morrowind in so many ways, although it's still amazing in it's own right. For Skyrim, I've set my expectations on it being another Oblivion, which I'm still really hyped over.

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By A Likely Story
    @lucianotassis: Well dragons have been in Elder Scrolls lore for a long time, it's not like they're just throwing them in now in order to fit in with common fantasy themes.

Anyway, I'm suspending all judgement on Skyrim until I actually play it. I'm afraid we have Oblivion 1.5 on our hands, but I'll just have to wait and see.
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By McGhee

Anyone noticed how good the animations are? Seems like after so many complaints Bethesda is going to make sure that the animation is good, but I won't hold my breath for all of the complainers of the past to start heaping on the praise.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I've never really liked these types of games (even though I've only played Oblivion in the Elder Scrolls series) because I hate high fantasy, at least the way it is in these games. It's just so plain and boring and it didn't help that Oblivion was practically broken at spots. I'll try Skyrim out, though, and hopefully I'll enjoy it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved how alien Morrowind was, and how you NEVER felt like you knew what was gonna happen.  And how fucked up some of the monster designs were, and how the game never held your hand.  I really, really hope that comes back.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By thatfrood
    @FluxWaveZ said:

" I've never really liked these types of games (even though I've only played Oblivion in the Elder Scrolls series) because I hate high fantasy, at least the way it is in these games. It's just so plain and boring and it didn't help that Oblivion was practically broken at spots. I'll try Skyrim out, though, and hopefully I'll enjoy it. "

See, that's the thing. Oblivion is high fantasy. Morrowind is not.
    In Morrowind, you are practically in the ghetto of fantasy. It is mostly swamps and racism.
    Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By Adamsons

I have to agree that Morrowind was fantastic in such a strange way. 

The start was the most iconic part i remember; shipped in from a foreign land, you choose your race, steal some various crap and be on your way. The story was much more interesting in my eyes than Oblivion's in that you are the latest incarnation of a deity and get to interact with the Gods of the world.

It has some frustrating parts though - cliff racers, the back tracking in the quests for those tribes, those fucking grub enemies and the mines full of them.. ugh. I never really liked Vivec as a city either, though that orbiting prison they had was awesome.

For Oblivion the story was pretty predictable, Oblivion gates were beyond repetitive and level scaling sucked.

That said, if Skyrim turns out like either game I will love it, and any issues mods will probably iron out.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JP_Russell

In terms of mechanics and combat, Skyrim will likely be the strongest offering in the ES series by far.  The rest is still up in the air at this point, but the main other things that'll matter for me are what it's like to wander the world and what kind of content there is, both of which Bethesda is pretty consistent with across their games.  Unless they really mess something up unexpectedly, Skyrim should end up being my favorite ES game of all, from what info they've put out about it so far.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Doctorchimp

I completely agree with you TC.

Morrowind's fiction and plot alone made it much more enthralling than Oblivion.

Then Oblivion didn't lend itself with the same generic cave/dungeon/ruins design followed by the atrocious auto-leveling system...

Here's hoping Skyrim lends itself more towards Morrowind.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In this thread: blah blah blah Oblivion sucks blah blah blah Morrowind is better blah blah blah.

Just kidding, but you have to agree that Oblivion was way more accessible to the average gamer and that's what I loved about it so much.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " In this thread: blah blah blah Oblivion sucks blah blah blah Morrowind is better blah blah blah.  Just kidding, but you have to agree that Oblivion was way more accessible to the average gamer and that's what I loved about it so much. "
    A lot of things are accessible to the average gamer...
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Doctorchimp said:
    " @President_Barackbar said:
    " In this thread: blah blah blah Oblivion sucks blah blah blah Morrowind is better blah blah blah.  Just kidding, but you have to agree that Oblivion was way more accessible to the average gamer and that's what I loved about it so much. "
    A lot of things are accessible to the average gamer... "
    Morrowind was made to appeal to a very specific audience: hardcore RPG fans. All you have to do is take a look at all the stat grinding and skill-checking you have to do. Also, the "missing" during combat. That isn't "more tense", its fucking annoying.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @President_Barackbar: 

That's not what I was getting at. Just saying it being accessible isn't really a good point...

And Morrowind wasn't more complicated. You do the exact same fucking things. Stat grinding and skill checking...being exactly the fucking same...

The combat just made it so you hit the guy on contact instead of a dice roll. Any thing that was hardcore about it happened behind the scenes that you couldn't control.

It was old...so there wasn't a marker and the hand holding didn't make it in, but that's pretty much it...
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Doctorchimp:  Uhh, I don't recall Oblivion having enchantment failure chances and stuff like that. Also, I don't recall having to stat grind in Oblivion at all.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xyzygy

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm definitely already getting a huge Morrowind vibe from Skyrim based on one thing alone: Devahkiin.  It almost sounds like a similar plot device as the Nerevarine was to Morrowind and I thought that the mystery and lore behind the Nerevarine was one of the things which made that game so interesting. If they can strike a similar chord (but, not similar enough to make it feel like the same story) then Skyrim will be a huge success over Oblivion in my eyes.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hourai

Morrowind is one of the best games I've ever played. Playing it as a 10/11 year old kid was an unbelievable experience. The biggest draw for me wasn't the quests, storyline, combat, or anything of the sort, it was about wandering and exploring the world, finding all sorts rare items in hidden tombs and such. I actually don't think I ever progressed with the main story beyond where you first meet that guy in Balmora and he trains you or something. Wandering around the world with that theme music playing was really awesome. Only downside was all the fucking cliff racers. They raped my character so many times. 

I just hope Skyrim gives an experience even half as unique as Morrowind. Oblivion was amazing when I first played it but it got old pretty fast. It was improved in a lot of ways but all the personality was gone and it just wasn't very exciting exploring all the generic forests and stuff. Glad to hear they're not using the Gamebryo engine. That engine is ass

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Doctorchimp
    " @Doctorchimp:  Uhh, I don't recall Oblivion having enchantment failure chances and stuff like that. Also, I don't recall having to stat grind in Oblivion at all. "
    What?

In Oblivion if you weren't at a certain skill level it locked out abilities completely... that's called a skill check my man...

And you didn't have to stat grind Morrowind either...

But you could...just like a lot of people stat grinded Oblivion.

Here's the kicker, stat grinding is arguably more important in Oblivion since the game autoscales the game world where as in Morrowind you can just play normally without worrying about levels.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xyzygy
    @Hourai: OMG. You never got past meeting Caius in Balmora? Man the game just gets better and better, that was the absolute beginning of it right there.
    Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hourai
    @xyzygy:  
    Nope :P 

I vaguely remember a quest after that where you go in a tomb and get a book or something? I think that's the farthest I got. I did most of the faction quests though, which were pretty fun. 
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Hourai: 

At least tell me you did the Bloodmoon and Tribunal main quests...for the love of god.
    Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hourai
    @Doctorchimp said:
    " @Hourai:   At least tell me you did the Bloodmoon and Tribunal main quests...for the love of god. "
    Played them both but never finished. I remember doing a bunch of werewolf related quests and having to get somebody's amulet or ring from the sewer. It's been a long time so my memory is all foggy. Should probably play it again before Skyrim comes out. 
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JP_Russell
    " @Doctorchimp:  Uhh, I don't recall Oblivion having enchantment failure chances and stuff like that. Also, I don't recall having to stat grind in Oblivion at all. "

Power leveling was even more encouraged in Oblivion's design than it was in Morrowind's.
    Avatar image for anamericanpatriot
    AnAmericanPatriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Doctorchimp:  @President_Barackbar:  

FOR ALL I CARE, I hope they KEEP A LOT of the gameplay improvements THAT CAME IN Oblivion (minus level scaling). IT WAS A much more enjoyable game TO PLAY. WHERE THEY dropped the fucking ball--andwhat I THINK A lot of PEOPLE HERE are complaining about--was the FUCKING ATMOSPHERE, MAN. OBLIVION WAS boring as fucking shit IN TERMS OF THAT. OH WANDER THIS WAY and look more FUCKING trees isn't THAT COOL? 

MORROWIND had such a UNIQUE ATMOSPHERE GOING for it. So varied. I REMEMBER HAPPENING upon Vivic and BEING BOTH confused and in awe; I REMEMBER JUST RUNNING to the east for no reason AND SUDDENLY FINDING THIS cities in tree like STRUCTURES ON some islands. THE VARIATION OF the landscape and THE WAY THE game really ALLOWED YOU TO stumble into IT WAS FUCKING FANTASTIC. IT REALLY felt like I was slowly discovering some NEW WORLD. OBLIVION DIDN'T really have that. GREAT GAME, JUST boring ass world and A LITTLE TOO much "go here, NOW THERE, now here!' when I THINK IT should have just turned YOU LOOSE A little more. 

ALSO, FUCK instant map fast TRAVEL. THERE I said it. SILT STRIDERS WERE fucking awesome AND THE FIRST time you come upon one IS A VIVID MEMORY for me.
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By vaiz
    @AnAmericanPatriot said:
    " @Doctorchimp:  @President_Barackbar:   FOR ALL I CARE, I hope they KEEP A LOT of the gameplay improvements THAT CAME IN Oblivion (minus level scaling). IT WAS A much more enjoyable game TO PLAY. WHERE THEY dropped the fucking ball--andwhat I THINK A lot of PEOPLE HERE are complaining about--was the FUCKING ATMOSPHERE, MAN. OBLIVION WAS boring as fucking shit IN TERMS OF THAT. OH WANDER THIS WAY and look more FUCKING trees isn't THAT COOL?  MORROWIND had such a UNIQUE ATMOSPHERE GOING for it. So varied. I REMEMBER HAPPENING upon Vivic and BEING BOTH confused and in awe; I REMEMBER JUST RUNNING to the east for no reason AND SUDDENLY FINDING THIS cities in tree like STRUCTURES ON some islands. THE VARIATION OF the landscape and THE WAY THE game really ALLOWED YOU TO stumble into IT WAS FUCKING FANTASTIC. IT REALLY felt like I was slowly discovering some NEW WORLD. OBLIVION DIDN'T really have that. GREAT GAME, JUST boring ass world and A LITTLE TOO much "go here, NOW THERE, now here!' when I THINK IT should have just turned YOU LOOSE A little more.  ALSO, FUCK instant map fast TRAVEL. THERE I said it. SILT STRIDERS WERE fucking awesome AND THE FIRST time you come upon one IS A VIVID MEMORY for me. "
    ARE you having CAPS LOCK malfunctions, SIR? Other than that I kind of agree with you.
    lucianotassis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lucianotassis
    @xyzygy:
    I completely agree with you. The Dovahkiin thing is a tribute to the amazing plot of Morrowind (the Nerevarine). And one more thing: I had a great vibe playing the Bloodmoon expansion pack, with all the ice and snow and Nords: this is an excellent point to make me love Skyrim too.
    lucianotassis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By lucianotassis
    @Hourai:
    What? Man! You should go back to Balmora and talk to Caius Cosades again RIGHT NOW!
    rottendevice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By rottendevice

Yeah, Morrowwind was mysterious and fun.  Oblivion was generic and boring. 

Hard to say what Skyrim's going to be like at this point, but I'll hold my judgement until we see gameplay footage.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BaneFireLord

Can someone please explain what was so atrocious with the Oblivion leveling system? I've never had any gripes with it. 

Also,  I've played Morrowind and Oblivion in about equal amounts and I prefer Oblivion (although Morrowind is still fantastic). What turned me off the most about Morrowind was the brokenness of a lot of the game's aspects (e.g. I believe completing the core game's main quest line rendered a part of the Bloodmoon expansion unplayable). Also, the lack of any sort of explicit directions in many quests was also a pain in the ass. Say all you want about "but itz so much more betterz that way immersion and stuffz," but from the standpoint of game design it was kind of broken. But yeah, I can completely understand people's issues with Oblivion's genericness and cookie-cutter dungeons. That was inexcusable.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JP_Russell

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.