Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Still Texture Issues on Xbox 1.3?

Maddux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Maddux
    Hi Guys,
    Just started Skyrim yesterday (on Xbox), I've kept it set aside for months until I had the time to dive it. Then I heard about all the texture (and other) issues and I'm glad I waited. But I fired it up, updated to 1.3, installed to hard drive and I think I'm still having some issues. To me it looks like some textures (the rear of the first available shield in particular) are SUPER low res. I even uninstalled and ran from the disc and it was still an issue. I've been searching on this and other forums and can't find anybody who can confirm this exactly. I saw a mention in a youtube video that there might still be some texture problems specifically to hands, weapons, shields, etc, but he didn't elaborate.

Anybody else noticing this as well, or am I just being paranoid because I know about the previous issues?
    Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Zelyre

A lot of Skyrim's stock textures are stupid low. On the PC, at 1080p, that stock shield texture looks laughably bad, like something out of Daggerfall.

Maddux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Maddux

Cool, thanks for letting me know. I can easily get past it if I just know it's the way it's supposed to be. I wish I had a powerful enough PC so I could switch over and run the new high-res texture pack. Oh well, I can ignore some bad textures here and there,

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By daiphyer

Yeah, those are just bad textures, not glitches or bugs.

That snow texture, my God. I've seen better snow in PS2 games.

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Storms

Some textures are low, some you're paranoid about and others are just Skyrim not loading them fully because it doesn't think you can see them.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By dagas

It's a huge game and yet the 360 version doesn't even use the whole disc (just a bit over half actually), that should tell you all you need to know about texture resolution. I'm guessing the consoles just aren't powerfull enough for anything more. You'll need the high res texture pack and the PC version to get any decent textures. Still It looks alright on the 360, I don't look at my weapons much anyway as they are tucked away unless I'm swinging them in a fight.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SlashDance

@Zelyre said:

A lot of Skyrim's stock textures are stupid low. On the PC, at 1080p, that stock shield texture looks laughably bad, like something out of Daggerfall.

That's quite the hyperbole you've got going there my friend.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FritzDude

Just letting you know that tomorrow morning the 1.4 update will be released on Xbox live.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zelyre

@SlashDance said:

@Zelyre said:

That's quite the hyperbole you've got going there my friend.

A bit of one, yes. If you take a look at the texture not in game, it's really not good at all. It's not Daggerfall bad, true; but for something that takes up a third of your screen, they should have done much better. I'm sure they could have cut texture sizes elsewhere for performance.

No Caption Provided

That's a lot of screen dedicated to a shield that, no hyperbole this time, looks very last generation. Or looks like a texture that'd be dedicated to a cart way off in the distance that you'll never look at up close for more than a few seconds. Sure, you may only have that shield for a few hours, but that's true for anything in this game.

Up close, the default shield texture is indeed this:

No Caption Provided

For something that takes up so much screen real estate, that you'd think they'd make it look more like this:

No Caption Provided

Or, if memory resources were an issue, change the art style so that the shield didn't look glaringly out of place. There are a handful of shields that look just fine with the default textures, and some that indeed, look like something is wrong.

There are just a lot of objects that look jarringly out of place, only because the texture work on it does not match the quality of the objects around it.

Maddux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Maddux

That shie@Zelyre said:

That is the EXACT texture that made me think there must be something wrong. Where is the nicer texture from? Is it the Bethesda HD Texture Pack or a user made texture?

codynewill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By codynewill

@Maddux: @Daiphyer: I think letting the game cache to the hard drive also makes a difference. If I play a bunch of other games and the Skyrim cache has cleared, it seems to look worse.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zelyre

@Maddux said:

That shie@Zelyre said:

That is the EXACT texture that made me think there must be something wrong. Where is the nicer texture from? Is it the Bethesda HD Texture Pack or a user made texture?

It does look incredibly out of place! When you said you thought something was wrong, that shield was the first thing that popped in my head.

That's a user made texture; to be honest, I installed the Bethesda HD texture pack and then switched back a few minutes later. It does look quite a bit better, but there are a few armor and shield texture packs for the PC that I prefer. Until the author repackages those textures, the Bethesda ones will override them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.