Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Strange problems in Skyrim

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Over the course of the last week, I've reignited my interest in Skyrim once more. However, I've noticed some strange and annoying graphical problems that I don't remember being present when I last played the game. I've tried EVERYTHING to remedy these issues, including uninstalling / reinstalling the game. I will post some in-game screenshots to show you guys what's up. Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated. Anyway, most of the problems seem to be associated with the rendering of distant terrain, specifically bodies of water.

If it helps, here are my computers basic specs:

• Intel Core i7 2630QM
    • 8GB RAM
    • AMD Radeon HD 6990M
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

One of the pictures didn't upload correctly, here it is:

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

That looks like the texture issue the game shipped with. 

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Grimhild

Just a shot in the dark, but are you running any ENB's or other large graphic mods? Some of them conflict with the official texture update.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@Grimhild:

I'm running a "Realistic Lighting Mod" and a mod called "WATER" I think. I also run some official high res texture packs too. I've tried disabling all of the graphical mods but the issues persist.

It does look as if the games water textures are conflicting somehow though:

No Caption Provided

What's odd is that these issues didn't appear all at once, I've noticed them sort of.. piling up on each other with each play through. It's like the game is slowly decaying, each time I play I run into a graphical problem that wasn't previously there.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Grimhild

@SathingtonWaltz:

Hmm, yeah I'm not gonna blow smoke and claim to know what the exact issue is. That's one problem with Skyrim being as moddable as it is, since it's hard to know what files may have gotten shuffled around in the process. I know that most of the graphic mods will over-write the core files, so it's essentially "always on" once you install it. But it's clearly something getting fudged with the LOD rendering. Not sure duder :( I'd say verify your game on steam to see if it fixes some random broken file. Other than that, just the basic "make sure your video drivers are up to date" kind of thing.

I noticed that water tearing issue with the WATER mod too, so I just got rid of it. Check your save game file and make sure it's some where around 3-15 mb. My game started hitching all weird on one particular character save, and I found out it was because that save file was bloated to 99mb because of the "Project Reality" and "Sounds of Skyrim" mods having a huge memory leak for some reason. Once I got rid of those it went back to normal.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By buft

I had some weird graphics bugs in skyrim at the start too, turns out my AMD catalyst control had custom settings to override in game graphics settings when i switched it to application controlled the problems went away

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@Grimhild said:

@SathingtonWaltz:

Hmm, yeah I'm not gonna blow smoke and claim to know what the exact issue is. That's one problem with Skyrim being as moddable as it is, since it's hard to know what files may have gotten shuffled around in the process. I know that most of the graphic mods will over-write the core files, so it's essentially "always on" once you install it. But it's clearly something getting fudged with the LOD rendering. Not sure duder :( I'd say verify your game on steam to see if it fixes some random broken file. Other than that, just the basic "make sure your video drivers are up to date" kind of thing.

I noticed that water tearing issue with the WATER mod too, so I just got rid of it. Check your save game file and make sure it's some where around 3-15 mb. My game started hitching all weird on one particular character save, and I found out it was because that save file was bloated to 99mb because of the "Project Reality" and "Sounds of Skyrim" mods having a huge memory leak for some reason. Once I got rid of those it went back to normal.

None of my save files are much larger than 5mb. I do in fact have two "Sounds of Skyrim" mods. I will disable them and see if it helps at all. I'm still really surprised that re-installing the game didn't help at all though.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Grimhild

@SathingtonWaltz:

I guess if you get desperate or can't find a solution, you can try to alter the display setting .ini file manually, or at least make sure that it has the proper settings and see if that works. Here's what the default "Very High" settings should look like (VeryHigh.ini in your SteamApps/common/skyrim folder) :

[Display]
    iMultiSample=16
    iWaterMultisamples=4
    iMaxAnisotropy=16
    iTexMipMapSkip=0
    iTexMipMapMinimum=4
    fDecalLOD1=500.0000
    fDecalLOD2=1000.0000
    iActorShadowCountInt=6
    iActorShadowCountExt=6
    fSpecularLODStartFade=2000.0000
    fLightLODStartFade=3500.0000
    iShadowMapResolution=4096
    fShadowBiasScale=0.15
    iShadowMaskQuarter=4
    iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3
    bFXAAEnabled=0
    fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=9999999.0000
    fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=9999999.0000
    fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=9999999.0000
    fShadowDistance=8000.0000
    iMaxDecalsPerFrame=100
    iMaxSkinDecalsPerFrame=25

[LOD]
    fLODFadeOutMultActors=15.0000
    fLODFadeOutMultObjects=15.0000
    fLODFadeOutMultItems=15.0000

[TerrainManager]
    fTreeLoadDistance=75000.0000
    fBlockMaximumDistance=250000.0000
    fBlockLevel1Distance=70000.0000
    fBlockLevel0Distance=35000.0000
    fSplitDistanceMult=1.5000

[Grass]
    b30GrassVS=1
    fGrassStartFadeDistance=7000.0000

[Imagespace]
    iRadialBlurLevel=2

[Water]
    bReflectLODLand=1
    bReflectLODObjects=1
    bReflectLODTrees=1
    bReflectSky=1

[BlurShaderHDR]
    bDoHighDynamicRange=1

[Decals]
    bDecals=1
    bSkinnedDecals=1
    uMaxDecals=1000
    uMaxSkinDecals=100
    uMaxSkinDecalPerActor=60

EDIT: I'd also look into what Buft said if you haven't, since I'm running a nVidia and not AMD. So I don't really know about the settings for it.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@Grimhild: Disabling "Sounds of Skyrim" didn't resolve anything. I'm going to try validating the game cache through Steam, and then unsubscribing / disabling every mod. I know that I have to use Nexus Mod Manager in addition to Steam Workshop for some of the mods to work correctly (Namely Sky UI), so maybe there are some conflicts going on there too.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Grimhild

@SathingtonWaltz:

Yeah, I didn't think disabling the SoS mod would help with the graphical issue in your case. I was just using it as an example for why my save game was getting bloated and suffering from shotty performance. Hope you get it resolved =\

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShockD

It looks like a GPU cache issue to me. Probably something Radeon related, they've proven to not work well with a handful of games. I remember having similar issues in GTA IV and even playing it at the lowest settings didn't help the game fill itself with ugly textures. I've been searching troughout the net for a solution and the only one that worked was getting a new video card with more cache memory.

Then again it used to work well before on your machine so...

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@antikorper said:

It looks like a GPU cache issue to me. Probably something Radeon related, they've proven to not work well with a handful of games. I remember having similar issues in GTA IV and even playing it at the lowest settings didn't help the game fill itself with ugly textures. I've been searching troughout the net for a solution and the only one that worked was getting a new video card with more cache memory. Then again it used to work well before on your machine so...

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm convinced that it's an issue with the application itself. This is the only game I have issues with, and it's never had these problems before. I've played around 200+ hours of Skyrim and only now it's having these problems. To remain on topic I still haven't resolved any of these issues and ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm so surprised that re-installing the game didn't resolve anything and I can't seem to find anyone else who's had these same problems.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Grimhild

@SathingtonWaltz:

Hey, so I was digging around for a second after checking this thread when I got home, and a lot of people that are having Radeon issues are saying that downgrading your Catalyst to 12.1 resolves some graphical issues. I don't know if this is new information for you, but I figured I'd just throw it out there. Seems like it might be a possible solution since your game worked before, but not now after a newer version of Catalyst was released.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I resolved the conflicting water texture issue, but the rendering of distant graphics is still out of whack a bit. I'm currently running Catalyst 12.4, and funny enough the last time I played Skyrim I was running 12.1. I will report back after I try rolling back to the older set of drivers.

Edit: I just noticed there is an update for driver version 12.8. I will try updating to those and if that doesn't work then trying 12.1 again.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I was mistaken, the water issue has only been partially resolved. It seems to render fine except at long distances, and details in general seem to pop in noticeably closer than what I remember. Updating to Catalyst 12.8 resolved no issues nor did I notice any performance improvements. I'm going to roll back to version 12.1, as that was the version I played Skyrim on previously.

Edit: Playing around with the display drivers has proven to be a huge waste of time, nothing was resolved. Things just seem out of whack graphically. The game looks fantastic as long as I don't have a long distance view of anything, in forests it looks stunning. It's just that I don't remember the game looking this consistently bad, maybe I'm just tripping out or something. Pic related, shit up close looks fine but distant objects are awful looking.

No Caption Provided
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Example1013

ah, PC games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.