Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Evil Within

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 14, 2014

While investigating a mass murder, Detective Sebastian Castellanos descends into a gruesome, nightmarish world. This third-person survival horror game marks the debut of Tango Gameworks, a studio headed by Resident Evil progenitor Shinji Mikami.

The Evil Within is on sale for $20. Worth it?

TJMasterK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll The Evil Within is on sale for $20. Worth it? (39 votes)

Yes 41%
    No 28%
    HELL YAH 31%
    Arnold Palmer 62%

I've always wanted to play it but I didn't want to pay full price. At this price would you guys whom have played it say its worth it?

• 
    FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's good. JUST.......good. Handful of problems. But it's good.

20 bucks is the perfect price. Go for it.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By spraynardtatum

Cult classic.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Steadying

It somehow manages to be amazing and horrible at the same time. I'd say it's definitely worth it though.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say its good enough/long enough to justify that price if you are into games like it, obviously most notably Resident Evil 4.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Ya, 20$ is fine for this game.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Cirdain

No. (opinions)

Watch some videos, decide for youself.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just make sure that your pc can run it because it's a really bad port.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's $20 dood. Jump on it!

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

For $20 I say yes.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I'd recommend it for full price, so it's most definitely worth it for 20$.

That being said the game can be very device due to it's design choices so be sure to know what you're getting into.

hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just picked it up in the Steam sale! First chapter down and I'm definitely in for the long haul. It's goofy but I've wanted a good classic survival horror for a while now. I can't bare to play RE4 for the fifth time.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always wanted to play a game that came out two months back also.

What's with the Arnold Palmer joke?

Is it possible humor?

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Poll seems rather pointless? Yes, No, HELL YEAH!, and Palmer? why not just yes or no? Why add arbitrary choices?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By Yummylee

I found it to be well worth full price even, so as long as you know what you're getting into then $20 is a steal. Though don't forget there's also a demo that covers the first three chapters. The first two aren't great, nor are they indicative of what the game really is, however chapter 3 is a good slice to show what you're in for.

EDIT: Also I seriously wish people would give a little background about their gaming choices for these threads, because who's to really say if you should buy this game or not when we know literally nothing about your tastes?

TJMasterK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mason20: lol your right, I pretty much knew people were going to respond in the comments anyway, I was just bored and wanted to see if people would, and I added Arnold Palmer as in the drink because it was what I was drinking at the time.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

For $20 yes.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@hellerphant: RE4 demands 10 more playthroughs.

I love Arnold Palmer. I did not buy the Evil Within... yet. Are Tales of Xillia 2 + The Evil Within worth buying?

TJMasterK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: My man :D

The best thing is going to a mom and pop type store that sells them and buying them by the case. I know that the jugs are a better price overall, but I prefer the cans.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tjmasterk: Cans seem to have a slightly better taste overall, certainly don't have all that residue collecting at the bottom. Lately I've been diluting it with water and it still tastes great; also lasts longer and is presumably somewhat healthier. Rite Aid sometimes has ridiculous deals on the cans I find, stocked up on quite a few at one time or another.

pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By pantzing_nome

Does anyone know how it runs on the last gen consoles?

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tjmasterk: Wait? What?... Palmer is a drink? I just remember the all of the Golf games tied to the man. Man... I've fallen behind and gotten' old lol.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I mean, no, I definitely wouldn't recommend it. You said you always wanted to try it though, right? For 20$, it's worth a shot.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By handlas

So i picked this up for 30 as a downloadable and I'm enjoying it.

However, anyone have any tips on good strategies? I just killed the first chainsaw guy you see and I can't help but feel that I did the absolute worst you could possibly do while still killing him. I used all my shotgun ammo and most of my pistol ammo and took a good amount of damage. I tried to use the traps that were around as much as I could.

I have yet to upgrade anything... is there a thing you should upgrade first? Ammo? Health? I'm a person that plays survival horror games in an obsessive way. I won't waste a single bullet unless it's absolutely necessary and that usually means I get to the last boss with full ammo on all my weapons.

I already feel like I've botched this play through.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@handlas: I'd recommend you invest in upgrading pistol accuracy and critical chance. Also, most bosses in the game will most likely use up all of your supplies, so don't worry. It's kinda designed that way, so as to stop you from having too much on hand.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas said:

However, anyone have any tips on good strategies? I just killed the first chainsaw guy you see and I can't help but feel that I did the absolute worst you could possibly do while still killing him. I used all my shotgun ammo and most of my pistol ammo and took a good amount of damage. I tried to use the traps that were around as much as I could.

I have yet to upgrade anything... is there a thing you should upgrade first? Ammo? Health? I'm a person that plays survival horror games in an obsessive way. I won't waste a single bullet unless absolute necessary and that usually means I get to the last boss with full ammo on all my weapons.

I think I chose to upgrade health first. As for strategies: try to use stealth at first, disable all traps always, once you're spotted keep moving and only line up your shots when you have enough space. It's a lot faster to play than most survival horror.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@handlas said:

I have yet to upgrade anything... is there a thing you should upgrade first? Ammo? Health? I'm a person that plays survival horror games in an obsessive way. I won't waste a single bullet unless it's absolutely necessary and that usually means I get to the last boss with full ammo on all my weapons.

I already feel like I've botched this play through.

Upgrade the pistol as much as you can, as well as the agony crossbow. The explosive arrows are quite honestly your best friend.

And don't worry, the game is designed in a way that makes you waste everything you have on the bosses. The chainsaw guy killed me 30 times in Chapter 3...so yeah.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the tips. I got past the next combat part as well with much less issue. But, wait, is this game just a bunch of combat arenas? I'm starting to get that impression. Some of the trippy stuff they do with the weird monster kid is pretty cool though.

I keep feeling like I need more room to hold ammo. I find myself leaving some ammo behind because I'm full so I'll probably upgrade that if I can. Problem is I haven't seen anymore mirrors to enter for a the last two chapters ;/.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By handlas

Well I just beat chapter 5 (the weird lady spider creature). This game is certainly worth 20 bucks I can say now. I'm really really enjoying it. It has that kind of off-beat feel that only Japanese horror games have. Those first two chapters are so damn misleading though... wtf were they thinking. The game builds itself as a stealth game from the get-go and then completely changes 2-3 hours in. Strange.

edit: Oh, and I went whole hog on upgrading my pistol. Been putting into ammo capacity, clip capacity, damage and crit. Seems to be paying off.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

So I bought it while it was on sale as well, and I am absolutely hating it. Every second I spend with that game is agony (HAHAHA GET IT LIKE THE CROSSBOW) and the bad kind of dread permeates every scene. The controls feel bad, the combat is lackluster (and the way the reticle seems detched from your person while you're aiming is a problem I keep running in to), and the story has gone from oddly intriguing to nonsensical garbage.

With that being said, I bought it because I hated the way it looked (which is to say, exactly like RE6), and I wanted to understand what could drive the man behind RE4 to make a game so similar to it, but so different in key ways. Now, RE4 is survival horror as much as this game is, but it's much snappier. Everything clicks together, literally. Melee is a prompt that glues you to an enemy and so it will always hit, while Sebastian seems happy to pistol-whip thin air and pansy-kick at nothingness half of the time. RE4 uses fast, smart enemies to surround you and pressure you, while Evil Within just makes all of its enemies run at you in a straight line at full speed. RE4 was cheekily bad with its dialogue ("You're right hand comes off?"), whereas Evil Within just has awful dialogue ("It's not just about being able to see... it's about feeling normal."). Playing it gives me the impression that even Mikami himself didn't quite understand what made RE4 so great, but he tried to recreate it anyway.

I'm not complaining about value; I'm playing it as an examination of a game that I think is bad. If anything, I'm disappointed that my initial impressions of the game seemed to have been right, in so far as my own tastes go. I'm going to finish it and then write my thoughts down, but that's where I stand on this game right now.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

It is absolutely worth picking up for 20 dollars.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it for the steam sale. I have now seen these and have seen past comments, and have a pretty good grasp of the game and it's ark.

I am looking forward to trying it.

Zornack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Zornack

Bought it for $60 and I consider it one of the best game's of the year. Had a blast with it, fun through and through. It's a steal at $20.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.