The Last Guardian is not on hiatus, platform unclear

• 59 results
#1 Edited by Aegon (5473 posts) -

Unclear. Shuhei Yoshida said that "hiatus" is a misleading word that Jack Tretton used and that all it meant was that they are not releasing new information. When further questioned he said he can't talk about the platform for Last Guardian. As you can see below, he also mentioned that the team is "re-engineering" the game and due to this the team size is smaller. What does that mean?

Q: I'll wrap up with an inevitable question which you're probably not going to answer. The Last Guardian - where is it? It's in this building [Sony Studios Japan] somewhere, presumably?

Shuhei Yoshida: Yeah, in this building!

Q: What console is it coming out on?

Shuhei Yoshida: Ahh... That, I cannot talk about.

Q: It doesn't seem to make any sense for it to a PS3 title so late in the lifespan. I know they have PS4 kits in their office, because I heard them talking about them...

Shuhei Yoshida: So, we're waiting for the right time to re-introduce The Last Guardian in an appropriate way. I can't... Well, the game is in development, and it's well staffed, and Ueda-san is here, working - even though he's not a Sony employee, he's dedicated to the product. But we're not ready to update yet.

Q: The hiatus that was talked about at one time, that's over now? It's back in full production?

Shuhei Yoshida: Hiatus, I never... It was Jack Tretton! He used that term, and I said no, hiatus is misleading. It was a hiatus in terms of releasing new information. The game has never stopped - the team has always been here. They're going through the re-engineering of the game, so the team size is smaller, because it's more engineering focused right now.

source

#2 Posted by Flappy (2191 posts) -

$10 says it's a VITA title.

#3 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

NOTHING STOPS THE GREAT CAT DOG BIRD BEAST

#4 Edited by Animasta (14667 posts) -

PS2!

LETS GET IT DONE

#5 Edited by SunBroZak (1074 posts) -

As clouded as my judgement might be, I still believe this game will be great. Whenever it comes out, that is.

#6 Posted by Nictel (2402 posts) -

PS5 - October 2nd 2022 Confirmed

The longer it takes the less confident I become. Is there any game which had substantial delays that came out brilliant?

#7 Edited by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

@nictel said:

PS5 - October 2nd 2022 Confirmed

The longer it takes the less confident I become. Is there any game which had substantial delays that came out brilliant?

Alan Wake?

#8 Posted by RazielCuts (2943 posts) -

Guys, Last Guardian already came out -

Turns out it was only 'okay.'

I'm more excited for Rime now as that game looks like it'll actually come out.

#9 Posted by Milkman (16621 posts) -

At this point, who cares? Show me the game or stop talking about it.

#10 Posted by Flappy (2191 posts) -

Real talk: I don't understand why people are so hyped up for this game. Is there something I'm missin' here or..?

#11 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5376 posts) -

I'm more excited for Rime now as that game looks like it'll actually come out.

#12 Posted by Zeik (2343 posts) -

@flappy said:

Real talk: I don't understand why people are so hyped up for this game. Is there something I'm missin' here or..?

It's basically the legacy of the developer. ie, Shadow of the Colossus. I think those expectation put too much pressure on them though.

#13 Edited by BisonHero (6407 posts) -

@flappy said:

The pedigree. People have high expectations about the game due to the past projects of that team, but yeah, who knows, we never got that many details on the game aside from some trailers that don't show a lot.

#14 Posted by spraynardtatum (2798 posts) -

@flappy said:

I grew up with The NeverEnding Story and this basically looks like that. Plus Shadow of the Colossus is a masterpiece and this kind of looks like that too....maybe....I can't really remember what it looks like to be honest.

#15 Posted by Veektarius (4750 posts) -

It never looked enough like Shadows of the Colossus to garner my interest.

#16 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1560 posts) -

@bisonhero said:

@flappy said:

The pedigree. People have high expectations about the game due to the past projects of that team, but yeah, who knows, we never got that many details on the game aside from some trailers that don't show a lot.

It's also into that Half-Life 3 territory of games that everyone jokes about whenever the company in question makes an announcement. It's the perennial Sony press conference wildcard.

#17 Edited by RazielCuts (2943 posts) -

@bisonhero said:

@flappy said:

It's also into that Half-Life 3 territory of games that everyone jokes about whenever the company in question makes an announcement. It's the perennial Sony press conference wildcard.

It's weird, I'm trying to think the same fervour for a game series Microsoft have, perhaps an old school Rare game? Although I don't think Rare are the same studio we knew and loved anymore.

#18 Edited by Flappy (2191 posts) -

I see what y'all mean now. Immediately after I posted the question, I looked up and was like, "Oh...Team Ico." Makes sense, but like someone else said, it's stuck in the same boat as HL3; both games may come out and be totally awesome, but they'll never live up to the years of hype.

They're essentially less sleazy versions of the original Fable/Peter Molyneux stuff.

#19 Posted by Ramone (2961 posts) -

@grantheaslip said:

@bisonhero said:

@flappy said:

It's weird, I'm trying to think the same fervour for a game series Microsoft have, perhaps an old school Rare game? Although I don't think Rare are the same studio we knew and loved anymore.

Killer Instinct is the closest I can come up with and that actually is coming out (as far as we know)

#20 Posted by Snail (8593 posts) -

I have been eagerly awaiting this game for four fucking years now.

#21 Posted by Pr1mus (3858 posts) -

The Last Guardian is just an elaborate ARG that Valve contracted Sony to create in order to promote Half-Life 3.

#22 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1416 posts) -

As much as I want to play the game and am looking forward to it, I stopped paying attention to it. I've taken the "don't give a damn" stance on this game until a release date is set in stone and is about half a year away.

#23 Posted by BisonHero (6407 posts) -

@ramone said:

@razielcuts said:

@grantheaslip said:

@bisonhero said:

@flappy said:

Killer Instinct is the closest I can come up with and that actually is coming out (as far as we know)

Microsoft has never had the same level of first party devs that Sony or Nintendo have. Microsoft has absolutely nothing that would garner the same amount of fervour as something like The Last Guardian.

This generation, the only unreleased-but-everyone-knows-they're-coming games that people are dying to know about were Half-Life 3, The Last Guardian, and Final Fantasy Versus XIII, and the last one has actually managed to pull through, surprisingly. The games business has accelerated so much that most things come out every year or two so there's no anticipation most of the time. Even GTA 5 is...sorta what people expected? Like, hey dawg, it's GTA but with prettier graphics and improved missions and combat and stuff.

#24 Edited by GorillaMoPena (2033 posts) -

Comes out next year as a mobile free to play MOBA

#25 Edited by Rowr (5525 posts) -

@ramone said:

@razielcuts said:

@grantheaslip said:

@bisonhero said:

@flappy said:

Microsoft has virtually no nostalgic identity aside from Halo and Gears of war and a few popular xbla games, which given that we are STILL in the same console generation and have been itirated on to death, don't really count. The original xbox had few memorable exclusives aside from Halo - which basically sold the console on it's own.

All the stuff Rare are remembered for are from nintendo games aside from Viva Pinata.

Sadly enough Viva Pinata is probably the only semi old Microsoft franchise i could get excited about. God this console generation, just fucking end already.

#26 Edited by PenguinDust (12484 posts) -

Didn't Valve say this was going to be on the Steam Machine with Half-Life 3? Team Ico is porting code to Linux as we speak!

#27 Posted by Hailinel (24292 posts) -

Saying the dev team is more engineering focused is an odd, vague choice of words.

#28 Edited by Manhattan_Project (2136 posts) -

Its never coming out.

#29 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1026 posts) -

@hailinel: I assume that just means they are porting it and fixing bugs and features, rather then having extra people building more models and assets.

#30 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1560 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Saying the dev team is more engineering focused is an odd, vague choice of words.

I'd guess "engineering" means "developing a PS4/Vita engine". Obviously we don't know anything for sure, but in the context of the game, that sounds the most plausible to me. That or he just said something to reassure people the game's still happening.

#31 Posted by Cameron (596 posts) -

I'm surprised any team in a modern company can get away with not producing a product in almost a decade. They didn't put out a single new game this whole console generation. That makes even Polyphony Digital look prolific by comparison.

#32 Posted by Slag (4225 posts) -

This is the true curse of Duke Nukem Forever. The fact that they were able to eventually release after perpetual vaporware status means that people pay attention to all vaporware games as if they will eventually come out.

#33 Edited by core1065 (543 posts) -

@animasta said:

PS2!

LETS GET IT DONE

Every time I read your post I hear Princess Bubble Gums voice... ARGGG, get out of my head!!!

#34 Edited by Aegon (5473 posts) -

Does anyone remember this? Holiday 2011? Looks like a video game to me.

#35 Posted by l4wd0g (1932 posts) -

" Q: It doesn't seem to make any sense for it to a PS3 title so late in the lifespan. I know they have PS4 kits in their office, because I heard them talking about them..."

That's a statement not a question.

#36 Posted by TooWalrus (13156 posts) -

@aegon said:

Q: It doesn't seem to make any sense for it to a PS3 title so late in the lifespan.

That question seems kind of misinformed. Ask Atlus.

#37 Edited by tsutohiro (364 posts) -

1st RULE: You do not talk about LAST GUARDIAN.

2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about LAST GUARDIAN.

3rd RULE: If someone says "when" or goes limp, taps out the game is over.

4th RULE: Only one kid to a game.

5th RULE: One game at a time.

6th RULE: No shirts, no shoes.

7th RULE: Time will go on as long as it has to.

8th RULE: If this is your first night at LAST GUARDIAN, you HAVE to.

#38 Edited by Ezekiel (400 posts) -

@milkman said:

Show me the game or stop talking about it.

This.

@veektarius said:

It never looked enough like Shadows of the Colossus to garner my interest.

It looked too much like a sappier Ico and to a lesser extent Shadow of the Colossus to peak mine. As much as I liked Shadow of the Colossus and Ico at the time, I hoped the next game would have a new type of protagonist and setting or color pallet. I was never all that excited about cooperating with the beast.

#39 Posted by TruthTellah (8725 posts) -

I predict that they'll unveil the game HD-ified with the previously-revealed creature but a young female lead character instead.

#40 Posted by Lysergica33 (521 posts) -

I have nothing but faith that this game will be a masterwork. I grew up in an era of gaming where constant delays usually resulted in the end product being better. I don't really get why people think delays are a bad thing nowadays. I understand that sometimes that means that a game is having a pretty tortured development cycle but then you look at your Half-Life 2's, your Perfect Darks... This is Team Ico we're talking about, it's going to be amazing when it's done and I'd rather they take their time. You can't rush art.

#41 Posted by SpartyOn (500 posts) -

@flappy said:

$10 says it's a VITA title.

....you just blew my mind. Unfortunately it ended up in a reality in which you're right...I don't like it.

#42 Edited by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

They should have led people on saying it was dead in the water and reveal it at E3 the year before it's release. That way you might actually be able to redeem the game. The anticipation for it is too high and expectations are probably unreachable at this point. Right now the story behind the long development cycle of the title might end up over shadowing the game itself and that would be disappointing. Props to Ueda for his continuous dedication to the title. May he retire in peace.. playing Candy Crush Saga

#43 Posted by laserguy (443 posts) -

I'm not waiting on this,but I am looking forward to Agent.

#44 Edited by Fattony12000 (7270 posts) -
#45 Posted by DonChipotle (2714 posts) -

There is no way this game lives up to any hype it currently has.

#46 Posted by Sinusoidal (1391 posts) -

@donchipotle said:

There is no way this game lives up to any hype it currently has.

But man, if it does!

I don't have particularly high hopes either.

#47 Posted by Dacnomaniac (442 posts) -

@milkman said:

At this point, who cares? Show me the game or stop talking about it.

#48 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1557 posts) -

Why do I keep thinking this game is about Owls?

#49 Posted by TheHT (11102 posts) -

Why do I keep thinking this game is about Owls?

You're thinking of that Zack Snyder Gahool movie.

#50 Posted by Yretery (18 posts) -

Considering they let drop that they were STILL working on building the engine and tools for this way earllier this year, this thing might never come out, and at this point I would be alright with that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.