Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last Guardian

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 06, 2016

The Last Guardian is the long-delayed third game from Sony's Team Ico. Originally revealed in trailer form at E3 2009, the game was met with substantial delays but was reintroduced at E3 2015.

The Last Guardian is not on hiatus, platform unclear

• 58 results
    Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

Unclear. Shuhei Yoshida said that "hiatus" is a misleading word that Jack Tretton used and that all it meant was that they are not releasing new information. When further questioned he said he can't talk about the platform for Last Guardian. As you can see below, he also mentioned that the team is "re-engineering" the game and due to this the team size is smaller. What does that mean?

Q: I'll wrap up with an inevitable question which you're probably not going to answer. The Last Guardian - where is it? It's in this building [Sony Studios Japan] somewhere, presumably?

Shuhei Yoshida: Yeah, in this building!

Q: What console is it coming out on?

Shuhei Yoshida: Ahh... That, I cannot talk about.

Q: It doesn't seem to make any sense for it to a PS3 title so late in the lifespan. I know they have PS4 kits in their office, because I heard them talking about them...

Shuhei Yoshida: So, we're waiting for the right time to re-introduce The Last Guardian in an appropriate way. I can't... Well, the game is in development, and it's well staffed, and Ueda-san is here, working - even though he's not a Sony employee, he's dedicated to the product. But we're not ready to update yet.

Q: The hiatus that was talked about at one time, that's over now? It's back in full production?

Shuhei Yoshida: Hiatus, I never... It was Jack Tretton! He used that term, and I said no, hiatus is misleading. It was a hiatus in terms of releasing new information. The game has never stopped - the team has always been here. They're going through the re-engineering of the game, so the team size is smaller, because it's more engineering focused right now.

source

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

$10 says it's a VITA title.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

NOTHING STOPS THE GREAT CAT DOG BIRD BEAST

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Animasta

PS2!

LETS GET IT DONE

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By emfromthesea

As clouded as my judgement might be, I still believe this game will be great. Whenever it comes out, that is.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

PS5 - October 2nd 2022 Confirmed

The longer it takes the less confident I become. Is there any game which had substantial delays that came out brilliant?

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#7  Edited By donutfever

@nictel said:

PS5 - October 2nd 2022 Confirmed

The longer it takes the less confident I become. Is there any game which had substantial delays that came out brilliant?

Alan Wake?

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Guys, Last Guardian already came out -

No Caption Provided

Turns out it was only 'okay.'

I'm more excited for Rime now as that game looks like it'll actually come out.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this point, who cares? Show me the game or stop talking about it.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Real talk: I don't understand why people are so hyped up for this game. Is there something I'm missin' here or..?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I'm more excited for Rime now as that game looks like it'll actually come out.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flappy said:

Real talk: I don't understand why people are so hyped up for this game. Is there something I'm missin' here or..?

It's basically the legacy of the developer. ie, Shadow of the Colossus. I think those expectation put too much pressure on them though.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BisonHero

@flappy said:

The pedigree. People have high expectations about the game due to the past projects of that team, but yeah, who knows, we never got that many details on the game aside from some trailers that don't show a lot.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@flappy said:

I grew up with The NeverEnding Story and this basically looks like that. Plus Shadow of the Colossus is a masterpiece and this kind of looks like that too....maybe....I can't really remember what it looks like to be honest.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

It never looked enough like Shadows of the Colossus to garner my interest.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RazielCuts

@bisonhero said:

@flappy said:

The pedigree. People have high expectations about the game due to the past projects of that team, but yeah, who knows, we never got that many details on the game aside from some trailers that don't show a lot.

It's also into that Half-Life 3 territory of games that everyone jokes about whenever the company in question makes an announcement. It's the perennial Sony press conference wildcard.

It's weird, I'm trying to think the same fervour for a game series Microsoft have, perhaps an old school Rare game? Although I don't think Rare are the same studio we knew and loved anymore.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Flappy

I see what y'all mean now. Immediately after I posted the question, I looked up and was like, "Oh...Team Ico." Makes sense, but like someone else said, it's stuck in the same boat as HL3; both games may come out and be totally awesome, but they'll never live up to the years of hype.

They're essentially less sleazy versions of the original Fable/Peter Molyneux stuff.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grantheaslip said:

@bisonhero said:

@flappy said:

It's also into that Half-Life 3 territory of games that everyone jokes about whenever the company in question makes an announcement. It's the perennial Sony press conference wildcard.

It's weird, I'm trying to think the same fervour for a game series Microsoft have, perhaps an old school Rare game? Although I don't think Rare are the same studio we knew and loved anymore.

Killer Instinct is the closest I can come up with and that actually is coming out (as far as we know)

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I have been eagerly awaiting this game for four fucking years now.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The Last Guardian is just an elaborate ARG that Valve contracted Sony to create in order to promote Half-Life 3.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I want to play the game and am looking forward to it, I stopped paying attention to it. I've taken the "don't give a damn" stance on this game until a release date is set in stone and is about half a year away.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramone said:

@razielcuts said:

@grantheaslip said:

@bisonhero said:

@flappy said:

Killer Instinct is the closest I can come up with and that actually is coming out (as far as we know)

Microsoft has never had the same level of first party devs that Sony or Nintendo have. Microsoft has absolutely nothing that would garner the same amount of fervour as something like The Last Guardian.

This generation, the only unreleased-but-everyone-knows-they're-coming games that people are dying to know about were Half-Life 3, The Last Guardian, and Final Fantasy Versus XIII, and the last one has actually managed to pull through, surprisingly. The games business has accelerated so much that most things come out every year or two so there's no anticipation most of the time. Even GTA 5 is...sorta what people expected? Like, hey dawg, it's GTA but with prettier graphics and improved missions and combat and stuff.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By InternetDotCom

Comes out next year as a mobile free to play MOBA

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rowr

@ramone said:

@razielcuts said:

@grantheaslip said:

@bisonhero said:

@flappy said:

Microsoft has virtually no nostalgic identity aside from Halo and Gears of war and a few popular xbla games, which given that we are STILL in the same console generation and have been itirated on to death, don't really count. The original xbox had few memorable exclusives aside from Halo - which basically sold the console on it's own.

All the stuff Rare are remembered for are from nintendo games aside from Viva Pinata.

Sadly enough Viva Pinata is probably the only semi old Microsoft franchise i could get excited about. God this console generation, just fucking end already.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By penguindust

Didn't Valve say this was going to be on the Steam Machine with Half-Life 3? Team Ico is porting code to Linux as we speak!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Saying the dev team is more engineering focused is an odd, vague choice of words.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its never coming out.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@hailinel: I assume that just means they are porting it and fixing bugs and features, rather then having extra people building more models and assets.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised any team in a modern company can get away with not producing a product in almost a decade. They didn't put out a single new game this whole console generation. That makes even Polyphony Digital look prolific by comparison.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

This is the true curse of Duke Nukem Forever. The fact that they were able to eventually release after perpetual vaporware status means that people pay attention to all vaporware games as if they will eventually come out.

core1065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By core1065

@animasta said:

PS2!

LETS GET IT DONE

Every time I read your post I hear Princess Bubble Gums voice... ARGGG, get out of my head!!!

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Aegon

Does anyone remember this? Holiday 2011? Looks like a video game to me.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

" Q: It doesn't seem to make any sense for it to a PS3 title so late in the lifespan. I know they have PS4 kits in their office, because I heard them talking about them..."

That's a statement not a question.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

Q: It doesn't seem to make any sense for it to a PS3 title so late in the lifespan.

That question seems kind of misinformed. Ask Atlus.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By tsutohiro

1st RULE: You do not talk about LAST GUARDIAN.

2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about LAST GUARDIAN.

3rd RULE: If someone says "when" or goes limp, taps out the game is over.

4th RULE: Only one kid to a game.

5th RULE: One game at a time.

6th RULE: No shirts, no shoes.

7th RULE: Time will go on as long as it has to.

8th RULE: If this is your first night at LAST GUARDIAN, you HAVE to.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ezekiel

@milkman said:

Show me the game or stop talking about it.

This.

@veektarius said:

It never looked enough like Shadows of the Colossus to garner my interest.

It looked too much like a sappier Ico and to a lesser extent Shadow of the Colossus to peak mine. As much as I liked Shadow of the Colossus and Ico at the time, I hoped the next game would have a new type of protagonist and setting or color pallet. I was never all that excited about cooperating with the beast.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I predict that they'll unveil the game HD-ified with the previously-revealed creature but a young female lead character instead.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have nothing but faith that this game will be a masterwork. I grew up in an era of gaming where constant delays usually resulted in the end product being better. I don't really get why people think delays are a bad thing nowadays. I understand that sometimes that means that a game is having a pretty tortured development cycle but then you look at your Half-Life 2's, your Perfect Darks... This is Team Ico we're talking about, it's going to be amazing when it's done and I'd rather they take their time. You can't rush art.

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flappy said:

$10 says it's a VITA title.

....you just blew my mind. Unfortunately it ended up in a reality in which you're right...I don't like it.

Avatar image for roarimadinosaur
    RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RoarImaDinosaur

They should have led people on saying it was dead in the water and reveal it at E3 the year before it's release. That way you might actually be able to redeem the game. The anticipation for it is too high and expectations are probably unreachable at this point. Right now the story behind the long development cycle of the title might end up over shadowing the game itself and that would be disappointing. Props to Ueda for his continuous dedication to the title. May he retire in peace.. playing Candy Crush Saga

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not waiting on this,but I am looking forward to Agent.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By fattony12000
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is no way this game lives up to any hype it currently has.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donchipotle said:

There is no way this game lives up to any hype it currently has.

But man, if it does!

I don't have particularly high hopes either.

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

At this point, who cares? Show me the game or stop talking about it.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By alwaysbebombing

Why do I keep thinking this game is about Owls?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Why do I keep thinking this game is about Owls?

You're thinking of that Zack Snyder Gahool movie.

Yretery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering they let drop that they were STILL working on building the engine and tools for this way earllier this year, this thing might never come out, and at this point I would be alright with that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.