Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last Story

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 27, 2011

A Wii-exclusive RPG from Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi's studio Mistwalker. It tells the tale of a young mercenary that dreams to become a knight, but finds himself immersed in adventure and political intrigue after a mysterious power is bestowed upon him.

So, an unexpected copy of this game arrived today.

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By triumvir

I ordered this game from Amazon back in April on a lark and had thought that I had cancelled the preorder in late June in order to get some other stuff that was coming out. Turns out either I didn't cancel the order properly or Amazon made a mistake, because today I received a shiny copy of The Last Story complete with artbook, soundtrack, etc.

I don't really have the time right now to play a huge JRPG and I'm not super, super excited about The Last Story, even though I might like it. I'm not a huge JRPG fan (CRPGs and WRPGs are my wheelhouse), but reviews of the game have been mostly positive with some caveats. Granted, I could always return it. Still, the game had a limited release and if I keep it sealed I might be able to sell it to a collector down the road. So, what do you guys think? Return, open and play, or sit on it to see if it collects value?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

Open it and play it. There's no point in keeping it otherwise. I could never understand people that buy things just to keep them sealed, wavering that their value will appreciate.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

Maybe you'll have time later?

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By viking_funeral

I'd keep it sealed. Legally, I believe that you are able to play games on emulators if you own copies of them, so that may be a way to play the game and still keep it sealed, if you're interested. I have heard that the game is very old school JRPG, which... even as someone who loved SNES & PS1 JRPGs... seems like a major grind sink these days.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LordAndrew

@Paul_Is_Drunk said:

I'd keep it sealed. Legally, I believe that you are able to play games on emulators if you own copies of them, so that may be a way to play the game and still keep it sealed, if you're interested. I have heard that the game is very old school JRPG, which... even as someone who loved SNES & PS1 JRPGs... seems like a major grind sink these days.

Legally, you'd have to make your own copy. Which is impossible if it's still sealed.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By viking_funeral

@LordAndrew said:

@Paul_Is_Drunk said:

Legally, you'd have to make your own copy. Which is impossible if it's still sealed.

Is it make your own copy? I was under the impression that you were allowed to have a back-up copy. Either way, I'm no lawyer and nothing I say should be taken as legal advice.

An aside: Of course, even with that law, they still put warnings on videos against 'unlawful copy will be persecuted.' Lots of bluffing out there.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LordAndrew

@Paul_Is_Drunk: It's not a back-up copy if you got that copy from someone else who illegally distributed a non-backup copy. You never had permisiion to do anything with their copy.

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By aleryn

Sounds like you don't have the time, just return it and spend the money on something more practical or desirable.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By killacam

@Triumvir It's really not a HUGE jrpg though... can be finished in 20 hours.. is the word.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By landon

Send it to me. I'll play it for you.

GinjaAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By GinjaAssassin

I just finished it. It's a great game! Only took about 20 hours and it really flies by. There was a SMALL grinding moment in the very end for me, but only to make the final fight a little easier. Great end to the Wii.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.