Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 21, 1998

The first 3D Legend of Zelda game, Ocarina of Time was created for the Nintendo 64 in 1998 and introduced innovative mechanics such as Z-targeting as well as many of the series' other trademarks. It has frequently been ranked as the greatest game of all time by many publications.

Controls and visuals are fantastic!

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RJay_64

I played this last week at E3. The demo didn't give me much time, it only let me go around Kokiri Forest and parts of the Great Deku Tree, but I think people won't be disappointed. Then again, it's pretty hard to mess up Ocarina of Time.

The only problem I see is, it's the same game. I wonder if Nintendo could have hired a company to work on a new Zelda 3DS game rather than a remake. But the controls are a dream. As people might know, when you shoot deku nuts/arrows/etc. in this version, you move the 3DS around to look for your target. It sounds awkward at first, but it felt good when I tried it. And using the bottom screen as the menu is a perfect use of the second screen.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Nick

Can you shoot the deku nuts/arrows without moving the 3ds around? I wouldn't mind playing through Ocarina again but I don't really like that augmented reality stuff, I'm not going to bother playing through again if it's not optional.

edit: To clarify, I don't hate the augmented reality stuff, but I play my ds mostly lying on a couch or in my bed before I go to sleep, and it would be sort of annoying to have to sit up everytime I wanted to shoot something.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By buft
    @Nick said:

Can you shoot the deku nuts/arrows without moving the 3ds around? I wouldn't mind playing through Ocarina again but I don't really like that augmented reality stuff, I'm not going to bother playing through again if it's not optional.

edit: To clarify, I don't hate the augmented reality stuff, but I play my ds mostly lying on a couch or in my bed before I go to sleep, and it would be sort of annoying to have to sit up everytime I wanted to shoot something.

yeh you can just use the slidepadand you canturn off the AR stuff
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Hizang

My hand cramps a bit after playing for a while, aside from that it's s fantastic job. And if they had changed anything with the game they would have annoyed a lot of people.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Vexxan

Looked awesome in the Quick Look, I want a 3DS kinda badly now :/

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64
    @Vegsen said:

Looked awesome in the Quick Look, I want a 3DS kinda badly now :/

GET ONE NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
    MyGameFaceBlog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By MyGameFaceBlog

I'm glad that everyone is finding that the controls are great as that was one of my possible cons to the 3DS version. I'm interested in the tilt aiming, but also glad you can just turn it off.

I also thinks its still a hard task to remake OoT because of all the pressure that puts on a developer to make the game run on par with the original. If the slightest thing were off it would make this version inferior to the previous versions. 

I cant wait to get to the master sword, I skipped ahead in the quick look to keep it from being fresh in my mind :D

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I agree, they did a great job with the remake. 
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

So far so good here. Just wanted to throw out that if the 3D is a little too much, try turning the slider down to right under halfway. The strain is gone and the 3D isn't so weird. Of course the game looks really great if you just leave it off too, so there is always that.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Sayishere

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

So far so good here. Just wanted to throw out that if the 3D is a little too much, try turning the slider down to right under halfway. The strain is gone and the 3D isn't so weird. Of course the game looks really great if you just leave it off too, so there is always that.

Yeah the 3D hurts my eyes all the way to the top, i leave it at halfway and its very nice

The 3D isnt game changing, but its a nice effect whilst playing

The controls are superb so far..the visuals are also OK compared to the original.

Neezie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Neezie

So far the best part of it is the text scrolls faster, instead of that slow, painful crawl it was at when it was first released.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.