Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2011

Link descends from his floating continent home to explore the dark and dangerous world below with the help of a magical sword, in this Wii installment of the Legend of Zelda series.

Paul Cezanne

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Contro
    Paul Cezanne
    Paul Cezanne

Here are a few examples of work from the French painter Paul Cezanne. His paintings, which are much loved by many around the world, have inspired the impressionistic art style seen in Legend of Zelda; The Skyward Sword.

Shigeru Miyamoto during his E3 presentation referred to the graphics as being like a "moving painting", and during the Nintendo's E3 roundtable later on that day, he referred to them as “Impressionistic.” Specifically, that the sky and mountains were inspired by the art of Impressionist painter Paul Cézanne.

The moment I saw the game for the first time, I instantly got the impression it was inspired by his work, that was clear to me when looking at the nature of the vivid lighting and gratuitous blocks of colour, the latter of which appear to be laid down with the same degree of boldness the great artist applied,

I'd expect anyone else who's familiar with his work would have got the same vibe also. It's for that sole reason I think Nintendo have done a fantastic job in creating something very similar to his art style in videogame form, because I know first hand that in computer graphics such a task isn't an easy thing to do all.

Impressionism focuses on evoking a feeling, an artist's instinctive response with a painting medium to something he or she sees in the real world or in their minds eye. Impressionism not about precision in depicting form, colour or texture, something which is easily done with computer graphics today.

Much of Cezanne's work focuses heavily on the ability of light to change the visual effect of all matter, he often attempted to depict this metamorphosis of nature throughout the days and seasons, showing us how it could distort forms and colours, ultimately changing the viewers perception of things. It will be very interesting to see if Nintendo attempts to capture these subtle transitions of light, just as well as the painter does in static form on a canvas...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Many of the landscapes were done in Aix En province in the south of France. If your'e wondering, Cezanne was obsessed with painting one particular mountain - Mont Sainte Victoire. The artist painted it many times in his life during various times of the year. He was also fond of apples, he liked the way light fell on them and perhaps, their allegorical meaning,

Art lesson over :) - I just thought a little clarification was needed after seeing some misguided views elsewhere.

Edit:

Kotaku have a brief video up highlighting the games impressionistic art style:

http://kotaku.com/5858011/30-seconds-of-skyward-sword-a-masterpiece-of-a-forest

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By dbz1995

Thanks for this! It's very informative.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

That's fairly interesting. 

Though it reminds me about this game, and how we still know almost nothing about it...Argh! Nintendo! 
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By blueduck
    @Contro said:

Art lesson over :) - I just thought a little clarification was needed after seeing some misguided views elsewhere regarding the games art style. 
    Misguided? 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xyzygy

Wow I had no idea they were trying to recreate an art style with Skyward Sword. I thought it was just a variation of cel shading but I can definitely see it now. They pulled off Cel Shading amazingly with Wind Waker and (if I'm not mistaken) that was their first attempt with a new art style. I have a huge amount of faith in them that they can do it again :)

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Everyone freaking out over the look of the game confuses me to no end.  "Hey, this Zelda game looks different!  That's not supposed to happen!"

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Contro
    @xyzygy said:

" Wow I had no idea they were trying to recreate an art style with Skyward Sword. I thought it was just a variation of cel shading but I can definitely see it now. They pulled off Cel Shading amazingly with Wind Waker and (if I'm not mistaken) that was their first attempt with a new art style. I have a huge amount of faith in them that they can do it again :) "

Miyamoto started his career as an artist and has always had a keen interest in Western art. It's long been an intention of his try and replicate some of the styles seen in his favourite paintings. In general, Japanese people go gaga over impressionistic art, in particular Van Gogh's works, partly because he actually copied elements Japanese art. (He used to copy Japanese prints used as packing material in boxes sent over from the Far East)
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Akrid

From what I've seen of the game, it does a very poor job of capturing this art style. I still don't like it. 

I appreciate their continued willingness to experiment though!
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By blueduck
    @Akrid said:
    " From what I've seen of the game, it does a very poor job of capturing this art style. I still don't like it. 

I appreciate their continued willingness to experiment though!
    "
    I agree, I don't see how it matches except for the bright colors.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus

I don't mind the new Zelda look, bu I don't really care for these shitty Paul cezanne paintings. I just don't like the style- art sometimes looks like shit.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Contro

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.