Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Longest Journey

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 16, 2000

The Longest Journey puts the player in the shoes of 18-year old April Ryan as you face various challenges to find the Guardian and restore Balance between the two distinctly different worlds of Stark and Arcadia.

Worth my time and money? (Steam price)

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Venatio

So it's 2,50 euro on Steam right now, absolutly loved Dreamfall, I still hope for a sequel though I've never played this, is it better or worse, does it still hold up graphics and gameplay-wise?

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By JCTango

I had a blast playing it.  Good story.  Graphics might be a bit dated... and hey, it's a point and click adventure game. Not much in terms of any ground breaking gameplay.

It's probably worth the euros.  One of my favourite adventure games.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Venatio
    @JCTango said:
    I had a blast playing it.  Good story.  Graphics might be a bit dated... and hey, it's a point and click adventure game. Not much in terms of any ground breaking gameplay.  It's probably worth the euros.  One of my favourite adventure games.
    Have you played Dreamfall? How does it compare? I don't remember it being strictly point and click
    rockinkemosabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By rockinkemosabe

yes

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JCTango
    @Venatio: No, sadly I haven't had the chance to check out dreamfall.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Longest Journey is a fantastic adventure game. Absolutely.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Venatio
    @JCTango said:
    @Venatio: No, sadly I haven't had the chance to check out dreamfall.
    It's one of my favorite games, you should really check it out as soon as you can

Also I just bought this and my next question is Bit Trip Beat or Bit Trip Runner?
    Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I've played both and say The Longest Journey is the better game. By far. Sure it has a ridiculous puzzle or two. But the story was different and the main character was easy to relate to until later. I revisit it every couple of years.

Dreamfall seemed more of an unfinished story that also retreaded some ground the first one covered. Story-wise it's practically all set up. It'd be cool to see it play out, but that's not happening.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Ragdrazi

Wow. A Longest Journey thread. My day is made.

Yes play it. But understand that you are approaching a game that really doesn't play by the rules you expect. It's not really even a game. It's more of a interactive storybook. Character will tell you where to go, you go there, the story continues. Occasionally it will try to throw a puzzle in front of you. The solution will be so obscurely laughable, you will absolutely need to go online to get the answer. 

That having been said, the story is amazing. I loved this game. It still crops up in my mind from time to time.

Just understand going in, you're playing the kind of "game" that can give a still shot of a mural with two voice actors talking to each other for 15 minutes straight. Not kidding. It happens.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JCTango
    @Ragdrazi said:
    Just understand going in, you're playing the kind of "game" that can give a still shot of a mural with two voice actors talking to each other for 15 minutes straight. Not kidding. It happens.
    Haha, I remember that part.

Man it must be years since I last played this game.. maybe I should reinstall it at some point.  I kinda remember the ending to be sorta sad too but I'm not sure.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By SlasherMan
    @Venatio: My vote goes for Runner.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.